Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic 1

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been playing it for the past few days, finally got to the Sleepers Temple (or whatever it's called) but now my game keeps randomly exiting. Not crashing, but rather in the blink of the eye, the game will simply... cease to exist. One second I'll be running down a corridor, the very next, looking at my desktop.

So, does anyone know if there's a YouTube video or a detailed summary of what happens at the end? It was my first time getting into the Sleeper's Temple, I know I would have had to eventually leave it, power-up some mystical sword, go back into the Sleeper's Temple, kill the final orc shaman, and then fight the Sleeper.

coaster

Liturgist
Original Gothic is a bit buggy, even fully patched. I often have CTDs in the Sleeper's temple.

There are a few tips on how to deal with crashes on the various forums eg:

https://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?p=7053999

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=94414

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/showthread.php?t=135484

Best advice I had was to disable the sound until I got past the part causing the crash, which for me was typically around the final undead shaman.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
coaster said:
Best advice I had was to disable the sound until I got past the part causing the crash, which for me was typically around the final undead shaman.

This. I was playing G1 very recently, and it would crash frequently when meeting orc shamans with a message either "CAN'T LOCATE SOUND" or "CAN'T LOCATE TEXTURE". In both cases, either disabling the sounds or lowering the textures to minimum usually worked. Sometimes it also needed a couple of reloads, before it would clank.

Theodyn

Novice
I also had a lot of crashes with Gothic. Setting virtual memory pagefile to fixed size solved my problems.

yes plz said:
So, does anyone know if there's a YouTube video or a detailed summary of what happens at the end?
I would recommend Gothic - The Movie.

From the description:
«Gothic - Der Film» completely dubbed in English now.
Months after release of the well received German edition made by T.M.T. Productions, Frozen Productions created an English version. The film is now available complete with the original voices from the early Gothic game, featuring music from all over the Gothic series and with remastered sound effects. It runs for about 100min and gives the unique opportunity to enjoy the legendary Gothic 1 game as a cinematic experience.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
How much of an improvement is Gothic II over the first in terms of quests and non-linearity? Loved the first chapter of G1, but after it you had very little effect over anything and little choice of what to do and how to do it. Anyway, I'll probably just watch the movie -- I was actually getting pretty bored with the game due to how much of a grind it was during the final chapter.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
yes plz said:
How much of an improvement is Gothic II over the first in terms of quests and non-linearity?

Pretty much the same. Although if I recall correctly, joining a faction in G2 has more differences in gameplay than in G1 where pretty much nothing is different after chapter 1, while there are different quests and I think the main quest is a bit different for each faction you choose.

Morkar Left

A huge difference.
At least with the addon you have lots of quests that you can take. Based on the faction you choose the quests are different and people will treat you different.

The endgame is still pretty linear but has some choices (but without real consequences).

And for the rest of Gothic 1 just watch the movie.

coaster

Liturgist
Gothic 2 beats the original in terms of graphics and volume of content (especially with NoTR), but as Darth Roxor says there isn't that much difference in terms of quests once you've picked your faction. G2 with NoTR is also much harder than G1 and (particularly if playing a mage) you need to build your character pretty carefully and avoid wasting LPs. The early game is even more unforgiving than G1.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
coaster said:
Gothic 2 beats the original in terms of graphics and volume of content (especially with NoTR), but as Darth Roxor says there isn't that much difference in terms of quests once you've picked your faction. G2 with NoTR is also much harder than G1 and (particularly if playing a mage) you need to build your character pretty carefully and avoid wasting LPs. The early game is even more unforgiving than G1.

How much harder? I'm thinking of picking up G1 and playing as a mage, but I'm a bit reluctant because being one was such a pain in the ass it wasn't really worth it in G2.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Dunno about NotR, but in vanilla G2 mages were pretty damn powerful, probably more than warriors too.

The Wizard

Educated
pretty much identical to vanilla gothic 2 in terms of difficulty. but you will end up a jack of all trades much sooner.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
If you are at the Sleeper's Temple you might as well quit, you saw all the Good Gothic 1 has to offer.

coaster

Liturgist
How much harder? I'm thinking of picking up G1 and playing as a mage, but I'm a bit reluctant because being one was such a pain in the ass it wasn't really worth it in G2.

Gothic 1 wasn't so bad playing as a mage since the mana cost of casting runes was pretty modest (I think 10 mana max). In G2 casting from runes cost heaps of mana (but oddly casting from scrolls didn't) so you never really had enough mana.

Monocause

Arcane
Could someone do a LP of G1 or G2? I intended to try one of them a long time ago but somehow can't do it. I'd love a LP to show how the game looks like and how it plays.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Started Gothic 2. Enjoying it much more than G1 -- everything about it just... better. Especially the controls. Tried out G3, but I can't get past the fucking stuttering. My computer can handle it as there are good chunks of time where no matter what's going on it'll run flawlessly, but randomly the game will stutter, especially when I'm exploring the world. And yes, I have the latest community patch.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
:necro:

So I was browsing the store page on Steam for Gothic 1 and I saw this screenshot:

ss_4a04fa8501b8c612293897acaf45fb0d1e2b4587.1920x1080.jpg

Now I can't remember where this is from, and I played through the game 4 or 5 times. Is Alzheimer kicking in already? :|

[PERCEPTION] The health bar looks weird. In fact, all of those screenshots look off in some way or another.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
:necro:

So I was browsing the store page on Steam for Gothic 1 and I saw this screenshot:

ss_4a04fa8501b8c612293897acaf45fb0d1e2b4587.1920x1080.jpg

Now I can't remember where this is from, and I played through the game 4 or 5 times. Is Alzheimer kicking in already? :|

[PERCEPTION] The health bar looks weird. In fact, all of those screenshots look off in some way or another.

Gothic-1-Demo_7.jpg

Maybe is some modded version.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
All the promo shots from the original Gothic are fake. They show all these fake scenarios and sometimes even the protagonist in armor he can't even wear.

j7Qbr5f.jpg

Recognize anything?

You shouldn't, that armor isn't in the game.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Those are the promo pictures that have been out since like 2000. I remember seeing them before the game even came out and some were even on the back of the box. They never made new ones I guess.

Coriolanus

Learned
I've been playing it for the past few days, finally got to the Sleepers Temple (or whatever it's called) but now my game keeps randomly exiting. Not crashing, but rather in the blink of the eye, the game will simply... cease to exist. One second I'll be running down a corridor, the very next, looking at my desktop.

So, does anyone know if there's a YouTube video or a detailed summary of what happens at the end? It was my first time getting into the Sleeper's Temple, I know I would have had to eventually leave it, power-up some mystical sword, go back into the Sleeper's Temple, kill the final orc shaman, and then fight the Sleeper.

I remember my own foray into the temple was a complete nightmare. Game-breaking bugs, CTDs, performance issues, you name it. I cheated my way past the last half of it, eventually.

Nothing much happens at the end, plot wise. There's one half-assed 'boss fight' (yeah... no.), a short cinematic of the barrier falling and that's it. IIRC the last 10% of Gothic 1 were the game's weakest part. It really felt like PB ran out of money at that point.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Those fake promos come from the game's beta. IIRC it was a rather common practice at that time to have beta screens on boxes and in magazines.

A user named cat

Yeah, this is hardly some rare occurrence but it seems rather ridiculous of Steam to be so lazy they can't use proper game pics especially for a game this well-liked.

Some of those beta screenshot locations look pretty ineresting actually. I wonder if any of them made it into the full game. I really can't remember but none of those areas look very familiar, haven't played through G1 in years though.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Maybe it's Nordic Games' fault. Being the current publisher I suppose they supply screenshots, videos, etc? The Gothic 2 page seems more accurate, except there's a Seeker equipping a 2H sword in one of the screens...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom