Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age: Inquisition Pre-Release Thread

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fucking 12 years of the codex, what's the only US AAA RPG? Fucking Dragon Age...

Bioware is Canadian bro, especially Edmonton. Bethesda is the American AAA RPG developer.

Rhalle

Magister
I wonder if all this bullshit was the reason for the two doctors quitting bioware

Nah. They sold out to EA but weren't allowed to cash the checks and actually quit until a few years had passed. They were responsible, not the victims.

Hiisi

Savant
How does one become a trans-gender in a medieval setting, exactly?
(don't answer magic, please)
Let me educate you what transgender means to many Bioware tumlerina fans!
sx2DeKW.png

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so3_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so4_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so5_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so6_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so7_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9k2a27PNX1tev49so8_1280.jpg
tl;dr: You'll only need a dose of this
imagination.gif
, a pinch of twitter and tumblr, a heavy dose of idiocy - and voilà! When those people talk about becoming "transgender", they aren't thinking or talking about all hormonal treatments, genital, face reconstruction and breast surgeries, various cosmetic issues with hair, skin and all. So, naturally, they think that in quasi-medieval setting it would be as simple as it (for them) now.

As for transgenders in medieval societies, well, both hijras, kathoey , and warias have quite a long history. While they aren't a direct equivalent of the modern Western transsexuals, historically they never a higher-class citizens and their life wasn't easy. Main difference between medieval society and now is silicone implants, it seems, and that's it. Many people from those groups never undergone genital reconstruction surgery even now, either because they can't afford it or because they don't think they need it.

Or the mukhannathun and tranny shamans in lots of traditions. Of course it does not mean these societies beliebed in liberal Western/Biowarian values with regard to sexuality or anything else, but something superficially a bit like our trannies did exist.

Transgender is easy in any case. But given a fantasy setting, I don't think there is anything wrong with "answering magic" if one wants to.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder if all this bullshit was the reason for the two doctors quitting bioware

Nah. They sold out to EA but weren't allowed to cash the checks and actually quit until a few years had passed. They were responsible, not the victims.

Not exactly. EA acquired both Bioware and Pandemic at the same time by buying VG Holding which owned the former two, for $860 million or so. There wasn't any betrayal or anything from Bioware's former CEOs, at least not from what I remember regarding the acquisition itself. What they did later on is anyone's guess.

DrowningHarvey

Scholar
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Skimmed through the thread and Dragon Age: Inquisition seems to be strong contender for the horror game of 2014 title.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
How does one "skim" a three hundred and nine page thread?

:hmmm:
Just looking @ the pics.
You stole my post.
You prob. didn't abbrev. "at" or "pictures". 2 slow.
How did you know? :negative:

Less than a month before this masterpiece is released. I have already decided that most recruitable characters will not be joining my party and I'll be a dick to them and hopefully they leave my party.

DrowningHarvey

Scholar
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
How does one "skim" a three hundred and nine page thread?

:hmmm:

Like it was said, one picture causes thousand traumas. And since it is a Bioware game, you can safely skip any false hope during the early parts of the thread (not that there was much).

eremita

Savant
Skimmed through the thread and Dragon Age: Inquisition seems to be strong contender for the horror game of 2014 title.
On RPGCodex? For sure, the hate's gonna be majestic. But if we're talking gaming world in general, this game is gonna kicks ass.... My humble prediction what's gonna happen: Mainstream media will give it 9/10 or 10/10, because it's gonna be pretty, polished and epic while being an open world with much opportunity to fuck around. Those are in your face features which basically win you great reviews and overall reputation. They will praise the combat because it's too sophisticated (by its nature) for them to understand whether those mechanics are actually deep, complex, thought out and exploit-proof. They will praise the writing because, let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by gaming standards (which doesn't say much, because most of AAA titles are horrible in this regard). The same opinion's gonna be shared by 90% of customers and there's gonna be bazillion of them because pretty, big, epic and most importantly having look of a high production values...

Non-retarded (and more respected among much smaller group of gamers) people like TB will also praise it, because even though not as much clueless when it comes to more complex mechanics like combat as your average reviewer, they still can't into RPGs, so they will be satisfied with combat not being just a boring filler. That's actually the only thing BW needs to achieve when it comes to combat and from what I've seen, they've got this covered.

And only a small, abolutely insignificant number of gamers with serious analytical skills (Codex) will recognise, whether the game is actually good... Their voice won't affect the reputation of the game though, just like it didn't in case of Skyrim... EAware won't let this game fail, because they know the stakes are fucking high.

This title is 4 years in the making now, it costed a lot of jew gold and it's developed by people who are not amateurs. Think about it...

Last edited:

DrowningHarvey

Scholar
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
But if we're talking gaming world in general, this game is gonna kicks ass.... My humble prediction what's gonna happen: Mainstream media will give it 9/10 or 10/10, because it's gonna be pretty, polished and epic while being an open world with much opportunity to fuck around. *snip*

Oh, I have no doubts that the masses and media will gladly consume it and any DLC it comes with. Like you said, it is a typical AAA product, loud, expensive and in this case, claiming to be progressive. It is the reactions and reviews by Codex users and like-minded individuals that I am waiting for to see as I expect them to be more entertaining than the game.

They will praise the writing because, let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by the standards of a brain-damaged bonobo chimpanzee whose closest encounter with writing was an incident where it attempted to eat a packet of crayons.
Fixed.

it's developed by people who are not amateurs.

True purely in the sense that they're paid for their labor.

Delterius

Arcane
They will praise the writing because, let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by the standards of a brain-damaged bonobo chimpanzee whose closest encounter with writing was an incident where it attempted to eat a packet of crayons.
They will praise the writing because, let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by gaming standards (which doesn't say much, because most of AAA titles are horrible in this regard). The same opinion's gonna be shared by 90% of customers
Fixed.
I don't see the difference.

pippin

Bio had the time to do proper promotion and pr work for this game. In the end, people will believe it's better than DA2 (though that isn't saying much) purely because things look and/or feel better, but not necessarily because they are actually better. I do wonder if there's still any chance of another metacritic drama, or something of that nature.

They will praise the writing because, let's face it bros, Bioware is still above average/great by gaming standards (which doesn't say much, because most of AAA titles are horrible in this regard). The same opinion's gonna be shared by 90% of customers
Fixed.
I don't see the difference.
One's an endangered species worthy of preservation; the other's sorely in need of culling.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
And only a small, abolutely insignificant number of gamers with serious analytical skills (Codex) will recognise, whether the game is actually good...

Inquisition won't be superior to Origins, and the latter generally isn't recognized by the Codex as good, and never as monocled. So what makes you think Codex will possibly recognize an inferior-to-Origins entry as good, even if it is? There is much hate for Origins on the Codex, it took years for Baldur's Gate to be "accepted" here by the Fallout crowd (RTwP, lack of C&C). Other than myself and a few other posters, how many Codexists bother to defend Origins' C&C, lore, characters, conditional tactical framework (none of which are perfect, mind) against other RPGs like Baldur's Gate, and how many posts can you find that really got down and dirty with Origins' mechanics and tactical mods like RAVAge?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom