Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
MM1, slowly progressing, slowly.
Me too, i just started a couple of days ago. I'm having a great time mapping with Grid Cartographer.
Started quite a bit earlier than that tho, also using grid cartographer, makes life so much easier. Hoping to complete the game without resolving to degenerate spoilers and cheats like being able to save outside town :salute:
"Start on Exile.." as in 1995 version or 2012 version?
I enjoyed 2012 version and can recommend that version. Not sure about 1995 version but apparently they are similar. If you don't know the 1995 version maybe the differences do not matter as they did not for me. Steam says I have 237+ hours on that game. wtfhappenedthere
Good question, will have to see what improvements (if any) there are over the original. It will probably take a while before I get started on Exile though, second quarter of uni about to kick in again and you can only handle so much Vogel at a time. Since I just completed G4 I'll probably run dead in G5 about halfway through and then pick it up again a bit later, as has been the case previously. Just too much Vogel.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
New Vegas Pacifist playthrough, so far so good. Managed to reach the strip at lvl 2 though. :lol:
I really enjoyed my pacifist playthrough. People told me it was just a gimmicky way of playing the game, but I disagree. It's a totally legit way of playing the game. I even played it as a total dick character. I posted my end stats in some thread here on the Codex some time ago.
Yeah, I do remember that post. How long did it take you though? It looks to me like I'll be done here damn quick if I bother to put some points in sneak.
It took me around 30-32 hours, but I played on Hardcore so I had to run like a coward a few times. But I also tried to complete some quests that I thought would be unsolvable without violence. Come Fly With Me is one example. Another one is the quest where a shootout goes down between two factions. I just stood there, and the ones I supported annihilated the other side. Half the fun was acting like a dick but running away or hiding whenever shit was about to get down.

You could easily complete the main story without any combat in less than ten hours. That was my intention at first, then I ended up experimenting my way through a lot of quests.

Interesting. Would you say IT IS POSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN FALLOUT NEW VEGAS? I haven't tried but I assumed there had to be a point you had to kill someone or something, somewhere.
I had Benny crucified but no one died by my hand. You can't complete all side quests without combat. You can easily complete the main story without killing anyone.

Deleted member 7219

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy XIII - Chapter 7 is excellent and the game is improving more and more as it progresses

Wasteland 2 - just got to LA. I whip this up when the derp in FF13 gets too much

On Hold:

Divinity: Original Sin - I got to second area and got bored, there just isn't enough of a narrative to keep me playing but I do intend to finish it eventually.

Fallout: New Vegas - 2014 playthrough, my fourth or fifth time around, but only second time I've gone through DLCs

Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC - I finished Dragonfall earlier this year and I'm going to give it a bit of time before I go back to it

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Currently playing:

Final Fantasy XIII - Chapter 7 is excellent and the game is improving more and more as it progresses

On Hold:

Divinity: Original Sin - I got to second area and got bored, there just isn't enough of a narrative to keep me playing but I do intend to finish it eventually.

:decline:

I kid, I kid.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through Anachronox, I think. Really digging this Hive level.

I've also picked up Gunpoint and Dark Messiah. Gunpoint is probably the only good Puzzly-Platform thing that I would like, and Dark Messiah does Action-Adventure right. Yeah it's stupid and clunky, but it's an awesome kind of stupid. I probably would have beaten Gunpoint if I didn't want to get an "A+" in everything. Might just breeze through it regardless, trying to always go for the gold really makes things boring.

Deleted member 7219

Currently playing:

On Hold:

I kid, I kid.

Anyway, I'm about halfway through Anachronox, I think. Really digging this Hive level.

I've also picked up Gunpoint and Dark Messiah. Gunpoint is probably the only good Puzzly-Platform thing that I would like, and Dark Messiah does Action-Adventure right. Yeah it's stupid and clunky, but it's an awesome kind of stupid. I probably would have beaten Gunpoint if I didn't want to get an "A+" in everything. Might just breeze through it regardless, trying to always go for the gold really makes things boring.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying FF13 is a better game than Divinity: Original Sin. Maybe in story and characters (actually, yes to both of those), but Divinity has much better systems and area design.

spekkio

Arcane
FarCry

Pros:

- graphics are nice, for 2004,
- open world shooter could've been good, if not for...

Cons:

- gameplay is shit: enemies are way too accurate and automated: all of them will switch to aggressive pursuit mode the moment you fire a single shot,
- flora prevents you from seeing shit, but won't stop enemies - they can spot you through vegetation (and walls, etc). From 200m. :roll:
- going anywhere by foot takes ages,
- vehicles are too fragile for my taste - destroying anything requires one rocket / couple rounds from SMG; realistic (?) but not fun.
- crawling is way too slow, traversing a single vent can take ages,
- only four weapons,
- shooting / killing isn't satisfactory,
- no quicksaves,
- plot is meh / nonexistent,
- no subtitles,
- since I played much better shooters (good old Unreal has similar vibe, at least some more open-ended levels), I kept feeling like I was wasting my time playing this game.

tl:dr

Aborted after 2nd "level" (carrier). Removed from HDD (second -> final attempt at the game).

Installed No One Lives Forever 2.

:smug:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
You..... you uninstalled FC to play NOLF TWO?

And lol at abandoning the game at the 2nd level. GAIZ WHAT IS THIS PST, IT'S ALL INDOORS IN THIS MORTUARY PLACE, IT SUCKS.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Yeah, but I've already played 1 but not 2.

:rpgcodex:

lol at abandoning the game at the 2nd level.
"BRO, keep plying, levels 12,14 and 16 gonna be awsum. Then it turns to shit but lev 24 is nice as well."

:roll:

GAIZ WHAT IS THIS PST, IT'S ALL INDOORS IN THIS MORTUARY PLACE, IT SUCKS.
I played the game for a couple of hours, didn't like both the open-space level and the indoors one. I don't like the game, why should I keep playing it? Plus it's my 2nd attempt (previously I got bored even earlier).

faggot
:rpgcodex:

SRSLY - what happened, Sceptic, you sound like a total moron recently?

Quigs

Magister
Gnomoria mostly. Really wanted to like Shadowrun, and then really wanted to like the Directors Cut, but man... they just sucked. Combat was slow and boring, which is terrible since that style of gameplay has been around in strategy RPGs since the early Sega days with Shining force. The conversation had all the meaning and impact of the standard Morrowind chat boxes.

Been playing D3 on the PS4 with the wife. It's simple enough that she gets it, and there's enough there to keep me playing, so I guess it's a good compromise game.

Money is a bit tight, So I've been eyeballing the new Divinity game and the new Stronghold Crusader game and trying to figure out which one to get next.

Humppaleka

Cipher

And lol at abandoning the game at the 2nd level. GAIZ WHAT IS THIS PST, IT'S ALL INDOORS IN THIS MORTUARY PLACE, IT SUCKS.
Far Cry is one of my favourite FPS games. That nostalgic factor though.

Humppaleka

Cipher

Far Cry is one of my favourite FPS games. That nostalgic factor though.

Was it 1 or 2 where you turned into a deathclaw halfway through the game?
Well the first one introduced the mutants about mid-game. Admittedly they weren't the best idea. :P You never turned into one though as far as I remember.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Both or them are good.
Now give me both now cause I want replay.

That remind me abour trying Far Cry 2 with Dylan's Mod.

I'm testing mods for Diablo 2, thanks to the MedianXL thread on Codex, where people bashed that eyeburning, epilepsy starting abomination.
Eastern Sun - LvL1 is tedious, killing anything take some time. Then you get LVL2, spend skillpoint of ability that you spam for another few levels, like that one decreasing defence of enemies. Some ideas are cool, like containters (cans, sockets) for gems, runes and else.
Le Royaume des Ombres - some stuff ripped off from Path of Exile (graphic elements on HUD and UI), skilltree looks like from Titan Quest. New junk, new quests on same areas but you start from Kurast this time.
Din's Curse - mostly balancing mods, nothing to see here. Game have big replayability even without them.

Sounds liike console (ewwww....) version called Far Cry Predator. There was even special mode - mutated people vs mercenaries but game was garbage (like being FPS on console was not enough) and performance was horrible.

Quigs

Magister
Sounds liike console (ewwww....) version called Far Cry Predator. There was even special mode - mutated people vs mercenaries but game was garbage (like being FPS on console was not enough) and performance was horrible.[/QUOTE]

You are correct sir. Good memory.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
^"BRO, keep plying, levels 12,14 and 16 gonna be awsum. Then it turns to shit but lev 24 is nice as well."
Level 14 (Boat) is actually one of the best (if not the best) open levels ever designed for an FPS, funny that you should mention it. And yeah it does turn to sht into the last couple of levels, but if I had to ditch every single game that has some awesome but turned out to shit then I would be left with maybe 3 or 4 games that I would've ever played past the tutorial.

I played the game for a couple of hours, didn't like both the open-space level and the indoors one. I don't like the game, why should I keep playing it?
What you did is literally play the game's tutorial and then decide not that you don't like it, but that "gameplay is shit", "shooting isn't satisfactory" (WTF does this even mean), "plot is meh/nonexistent" (I mean, the game's plot is pretty thin, but deciding on a game's plot from its tutorial is...), and that there are better shooters out there. For extra irony the one shooter you mention as better is Unreal, which has quite possibly THE shittiest early levels in the history of the entire genre, before it stupendously inclines into one of the best shooters ever made.

It's not your opinion of the game that I was calling you out on, but the specific arguments you used, and the fact that you could reach such conclusions from playing the bloody turotial.

SRSLY - what happened, Sceptic, you sound like a total moron recently?
Could say the same about you but w/e.

Nolf 2 > Nolf 1
This is an objective truth.
NOLF 2 is an entertaining heavily-linear heavily-scripted shooter, probably my favourite in that particular subgenre actually, and it has a crazy number of fun set pieces, but I don't like that it sacrificed NOLF 1's much more open-ended level design and reliance on stealth and multiple ways to approach each mission that made the first game so charming (and so unusual considering it came out at a time when we got pretty much nothing but corridor shooters).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
it sacrificed NOLF 1's much more open-ended level design and reliance on stealth and multiple ways to approach each mission that made the first game so charming

Nolf 1's level design was hardly that open-ended, and definitely not that much more than the soviet outpost or HARM's underwater base in Nolf 2. Multiple ways is also quite the euphemism considering most of them ended up with just shooting anything anyway (in levels that would turn out rather corridorish in the long run, too), and praising its *reliance on stealth* has to be a joke considering how barebones it is, and how absolutely unreliable it is given all the enemies' telescopic eyesights. If anything, it's actually Nolf 2 that often does stealth better, barring the two unfortunate missions with enemy respawns (which, funnily enough, are also the soviet outpost and HARM's underwater base).

spekkio

Arcane
What you did is literally play the game's tutorial and then decide not that you don't like it, but that "gameplay is shit"
Well, that's a damn long tutorial. And too bad about the gameplay in it being shit - that certainly didn't encourage me to continue. :oops:

"shooting isn't satisfactory" (WTF does this even mean)
It means that I can't get no satisfaction from basic element of the game (shooting stuff). So I don't have motivation to continue.
I want to keep killing bad dudes in Doom / Quake from the very beginning to an end. It's fun. It's a challenge. Same with Unreal, SoF, etc. but also games like SS2 or Deus Ex (kill / loot / use loot to kill moar baddies in new ways).
In FarCry it just feels like a chore - so I killed 50 identical soldiers. Now let's hike some more and kill another 100 and maybe blow up some buggy / helicopter. Wheee. :roll:

For extra irony the one shooter you mention as better is Unreal, which has quite possibly THE shittiest early levels in the history of the entire genre
WAT? AFAIR the ship is just the FUCKING SHORT tutorial giving you hints about who you are and that you're going to meet some hostile aliens. Then you meet these guys:

250px-Unreal83brute.png

And it's just fun from there on. I don't remember early levels of Unreal being THAT bad.

sacrificed NOLF 1's much more open-ended level design and reliance on stealth and multiple ways to approach each mission
What Roxor wrote, except I can't compare NOLF 1 & 2 yet:

1) "Open-ended level design"
In NOLF1? :roll: In VTMB - sure. Deus Ex 1 - why not (within sections / levels). But nolf1? You just get mission after mission with clear, direct goals...

2) "Reliance on stealth"
TBH I remember only 1 level that started in a stealthy way (enemies weren't hostile), but the moment they detected me, I simply started killing them without any problems. Doesn't sound as "reliance" in my book. Now Thief - that's a different story...

3) "Multiple ways to approach each mission"
In Deus Ex - sure. Dishonored - well... maybe. But NOLF? The possibility of using different gadgets doesn't mean "different approach". At least for me... :?

BC said:
Hmm, I wasn't aware Sceptic and spekkio had a falling out.
Pick a fight with Sceptic, Bee pops out. Coincidence?

:smug:

Don't worry, SIS, we're still SISES.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
For the last 3 months I've been playing Dark Souls 2. With a bit of Anachronox on the side.

Also stop the lies, embrace the truth... NOLF1 > NOLF 2 :smug:

Rhalle

Magister
Wasteland 2.

I got to Hollywood a couple days ago, and I'm not looking forward to putting effort into figuring out what's going on and what exactly I need to do to advance the main plot.

I guess before that I was plaing Path of Exile, but haven't touched that in a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom