Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

Akkudakku

Arbiter
B> C

So the more traits we get the more people show up in next iterations that we can be reincarnated into? Interesting!

Nyarmith

Educated
I feel like our character wouldn't be welcomed in the B option. I instead suggest either A or D. I advise against C since dude is probably not an ally and would be a waste to spend precious time and choices for.

D

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Sorry, it looks like I typed it up in too much of a hurry and accidentally left out the choice not to socialize. Added it in.

Rex Feral

Prophet
Why? Why would we refuse the chance to gather information just for the sake of staying in character?

Besides it's not even in character, we never chose before to stay away from other people, we consistently went against our avoidant personality and interacted with other people.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why would that be out of character in a given situation?

We are awkward and uncomfortable around people, and that did not change. But we have also shown a tendency to not always go through the path of least resistance.

Sometimes you have to do some rather unpleasant things. Like charge a corpse-man with a mop. Or go talk to people.

Our circumstances are uncommon enough that we can't fall back to our usual routine, curl up in a dark lonely corner with a book and expect others to sort things out without us. Getting out of here one way or the other requires action on our part.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Current tally:

A - 2
B - 4
C - 4
D - 5
E - 1

Post-flop:

A - 1
B - 2
C - 6
D - 7
E - 0

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
You decide to talk to the girl with the thick glasses and long, messy hair. Numerous beads and necklaces adorn her gaudy, colourful sundress. A large, brown satchel bag sits on her lap – it looks quite well-worn. As you approach, she speaks without even looking up at you, prefacing her words with a low, mysterious cackle. “Kukuku… I knew you would come to me, stranger.”

“Y-yes?” you venture hesitantly.

She giggles in a witch-like manner. “Ah, there is no need for fear. Come closer, o seeker of truth.”

You are reluctant to do so, her words not easing your trepidation any. Sensing your hesitance, Mitsuki takes the lead, bravely stepping out in front of you and bowing. “Hello, I am Iwano Mitsuki. Nice to meet you! This is my friend, Shinoseki Adachi-san.” The young girl gives you a quick glance.

Taking the cue, you bow and introduce yourself. “H-hello. My name is Shino… Shinoseki Adachi.”

“Shinoseki and Iwano, eh? I see,” smiles the girl disdainfully. “How interesting. Now, what is it that you need? Charms? A spell or two for protection? The truth that my third eye has revealed about this hospital? Considering the situation that we are in, I am willing to offer my services on credit.”

You are not sure how to respond to her sudden sales pitch. Credit? Does she take cards – no, you don’t have any at the moment anyway.

“Charms? Are you a witch, miss?” asks Mitsuki eagerly.

Hey, hey, aren’t you a little too old to be believing in witches or magical girls? Knowing what’s better for you, you keep your mouth shut and your inner cynicism suppressed.

“Ah?” To your surprise, the girl seems a little taken aback. “Y-you mean, you don’t know of me? Then, why did you…”

“You just seemed a bit lonely to me. You came to her because you thought the same way, right? Shinoseki-san?”

Don’t drag me into this!”is what you think, but what you say is, “I… uh… what?”

The girl turns away for a while. You do not pride yourself on being able to read people well, but you feel that she seems a bit hurt. Looking at her face, you realize that she is not likely to be older than you – she may even be younger.

“W-well! Kukukuku…” She turns back, cackling menacingly. “I am not just a witch, Iwano-chan. Try not to tremble when you hear my name. I am… Amanozaki Touko, the spiritualist of the century! I am famed throughout Akihabara for my accurate predictions of the future and my protective charms against the evil that lurks within this world.”

“Wow,” Mitsuki raises her eyebrows. “A spiritualist! That sounds amazing!”

“Oh, flattery will not get you anywhere.” That is what Amanozaki says, but there is a very happy smile on her face. Turning to you, she brags, “I have also been on a couple of radio shows, did you know that?”

You shake your head truthfully. Well, even if you did, you do not remember it now.

Her cheerfulness freezes. “I-I see… anyway, why have you sought the great psychic, Amanozaki Touko, out?”

Why indeed. “Ah…” you mumble, “Just to talk?”

Mitsuki waves her hand. “Yes, if Amanozaki-san is a psychic, that means you must know why we are here, right?”

“Of course I do!” grins Amanozaki. “Kukuku… did you think we were trapped here by some coincidence, by some act of man? Let me tell you of the truth behind this world that you see. Come closer.” She lowers her voice conspiratorially, glancing to her sides. Mitsuki leans in, and somewhat unwillingly, you follow suit.

“You see, the Age of Aquarius is at its zenith, throwing open the gates to a higher dimension where higher beings reside. These unfathomable gods have deigned to notice us, insignificant ants pottering about our polluted planet, and taken an interest. What we are experiencing is both a test and a curse. It is at the same time judgment and punishment. This hospital… yes, Ikei Medical University Hospital, has a dark history. The souls of the wronged dead are still trapped here, unable to reach the underworld. They have been cursed to remain engulfed by their hatred for all eternity. The higher beings have manipulated this curse, plotting to use it to invade our world and make it their plaything. However, if we manage to beat it, their plans will be foiled! That is why I am here… to lead the chosen ones to freedom and save the world from the encroaching darkness.”

“Souls of the dead, huh…” Mitsuki is deep in thought. If you are to guess, she is probably remembering the encounter in the toilet earlier. Her breathing grows shallow as the memory grows stronger. Involuntarily, you pat her head to break her train of thoughts. “Ah, Shinoseki-san, what are you doing?” blushes Mitsuki.

“N-no, never mind,” you mutter, moving away. Amanozaki is staring at you suspiciously, and you feel compelled to say something. “So… ah, Amano… Amanozaki-san? How did you know that this hospital would be the site of this, uh, test?”

“How did I know? I sensed it, of course,” she says a little weakly. She nods to herself and continues, “Well, shortly after I received a letter from someone telling me about this hospital, I received a premonition that something bad was going to happen. So I came here.”

“A note? Can we see it?” asks Mitsuki, her interest piqued.

Amanozaki seems reluctant, but facing down the younger girl’s hopeful stare she gives in at last. “Okay… but I must warn you in advance. The writings of the occult will drive you to madness if you are too exposed to them. Only those with high spiritual power and the training to refine it, like I have, can resist it for long.” Rummaging around in her bag, she brings out a yellow envelope. There is a letter within.

To the great psychic and spiritualist of the century, Amanozaki Touko-san,

I am sure it has not passed your attention, but the urban legend of the Crossroads of Omori has been growing in popularity recently. In relation to that, I have some valuable information that a well-known psychic like yourself may be interested in. The hospital mentioned in that urban legend, the one standing at the Omori crossroads, is not the actual hospital that the ritual should be performed at. For some reason, word of mouth has twisted both legend and ritual into inaccuracy. In fact, I suspect that I have discovered the real hospital talked about in the story.

Kaimei Hospital.

Unfortunately, it is no longer standing. However, a new hospital has been built in its place. That is right: Ikei Medical University Hospital.

I am no spiritualist myself, but I recognize your talent in the field. This is an opportunity for you to advance your name even further. I hope you will be able to use this information and seek out the truth for yourself, on the grounds of Ikei Medical University Hospital.

The letter seems to have been sent anonymously. After you are done reading it, Amanozaki folds up the letter neatly and delicately before placing the envelope back in the bag.

“So, that is why I have come. Upon arriving here, I then realized that we are in a more terrible fate than previously anticipated,” says Amanozaki gravely. “Now that you have been bestowed with insight, what shall you do? Will you assist me in my quest to battle the malicious outer gods, or will you hinder my path?”

You wonder if you should try asking her for more information.

00:30

Pick two topics:

I. Talk about the background of Ikei Medical University Hospital.

II. Talk about Kaimei Hospital.

III. Talk about Amanozaki’s powers and her confidence in battling these ‘higher beings’.

IV. Talk about the encounter you had in the toilet.

V. Talk about the current situation you find yourselves in and the other people trapped here.

VI. Talk about Amanozaki’s personal life.

VII. Talk about yourself and Mitsuki.

VIII. Talk about the urban legend of the Crossroads of Omori.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
File: Letter to Amanozaki Touko

I am sure it has not passed your attention, but the urban legend of the Crossroads of Omori has been growing in popularity recently. In relation to that, I have some valuable information that a well-known psychic like yourself may be interested in. The hospital mentioned in that urban legend, the one standing at the Omori crossroads, is not the actual hospital that the ritual should be performed at. For some reason, word of mouth has twisted both legend and ritual into inaccuracy. In fact, I suspect that I have discovered the real hospital talked about in the story.

Kaimei Hospital.

Unfortunately, it is no longer standing. However, a new hospital has been built in its place. That is right: Ikei Medical University Hospital.

I am no spiritualist myself, but I recognize your talent in the field. This is an opportunity for you to advance your name even further. I hope you will be able to use this information and seek out the truth for yourself, on the grounds of Ikei Medical University Hospital.

The letter is typed out on a blank piece of paper, while the envelope is non-descript and slightly crumpled from being in Amanozaki's bag. It is dated 19th October 2014.

Nevill

Arcane
The flattery is so thick with this letter, it almost looks like someone just played the girl and lured her into a trap. She is absolutely clueless about this whole spiritual deal (saving the world from outer gods, WTF?), and may indeed be just a fraud.

I wish we could compare the writing to ours. She may have been involved just to round the number of participants up.

I wonder if she did any research into the Kaimei Hospital now that the letter explicitly mentioned it. Something must have piqued her curiosity to make her come here, no?

II and IV would be my picks, though I and V look interesting as well.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Um. Didn't look at the file until I typed out the post. :oops:

Yeah. That's it.

Still I am suspicious that either we or another member of the Shinohara family have sent it. It just became harder to prove.

Kz3r0

Arcane
II

Can we ask her about that fucking urban legend and related ritual?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom