Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Current tally:

A - 9
B - 4

Interesting. 12 in tarot is The Hanged Man.

13 is Death. :M

Get ready to find your inner self once you start encountering shadows in the hallways.

Ifeex

Augur
I was about to write whether we should consider ourselves 0 (The Fool) or 13 (Death).

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The protagonist is The Fool. Starting off with a blank slate, unaware, empty and ignorant. His past self has encountered, or is, Death, the end of what was to set the stage for the beginnings of what will be. And indeed even now he meets death in every chapter. His journey will remain incomplete until he surpasses Death and ultimately finds The World, becoming aware of his place and purpose in it. :M

edit: I should probably reuse this when/if Amanozaki brings out her tarot cards. :lol:

Nyarmith

Educated
Tarot cards, japan: we are actually playing SMT/persona and everything here is in that art style.
The truth is revealed.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
The connecting corridor that links the main hospital to the physiotherapy building is constructed as a metal bridge spanning the two structures – the walls and roof are made of clear, reinforced glass. Thick metal doors are placed to enclose the bridge at both ends, but thankfully, they are open.

“It won’t be a wasted trip climbing up the stairs,” quips Sakimura. “So, are we ready?”

“Let’s go!” cheers Shiba, full of enthusiasm. The two sporty students lead the march onto the blue-carpeted walkway. Kozaka follows behind them, looking rather blasé about the entire experience, while Uehara turns towards you with a smile.

“Come on, Shinoseki-san. You too, Mitsuki-chan.”

You step into the corridor at her urging, Mitsuki at your side and Amanozaki at your back. For some reason, the psychic had decided to tag along, to Uehara’s displeasure. “I feel that my destiny is best served in this direction,” was all that she would say in explanation, though Mitsuki later confided in you quietly that she thought Amanozaki was feeling lonely after all.

It is not exactly any of your business to prod, and so you left it at that.

As you stride along the walkway, you try not to look at anywhere else but the floor ahead of you – through the glass walls on either side, you can see the courtyard below, and something about it is making you nervous. Perhaps it is the height.

Finally, you reach the other side.

The moment you pass through the door, a small, piercing whine passes through your head. You squint behind your spectacles, grimacing at the unpleasantness. Besides you, you realize that Mitsuki is crouched on the floor, clutching her head. “Ow!” she shouts in protest. “That noise, what is it?”

“What noise?” Shiba and Sakimura turn back to look at her. It looks like they do not hear anything.

Kozaka is frowning while looking around curiously. “There is… something?”

“The doors!” shouts Uehara suddenly, her face all pale and scrunched up.

Amanozaki, the last to come through, whirls around just in time to see them slam shut in her face. She squeaks in surprise and falls on her butt.

The power goes out.

A second later, the emergency lights kick in, illuminating the hospital with their dim, soft glow. There is enough light to see by, although you cannot peer too far into the gloom. Uehara rushes to the closed doors and begins pushing on the handles. They seem to be clearly locked. The lock is likely controlled by the electronic keypad besides the doors, but even if you had the code, it would not be of any use at the moment. After all, there is no power.

“No… no use,” she huffs, “they’re shut tight… whoa-”

“Hey hey! Stand aside, Uehara! Let me handle this!” Leaping past a surprised Uehara, the irrepressible Sakimura lands a flying kick right at the center of the metal doors. His drawn out yell of strength turns into a yelp of pain. Sakimura bounces right off, clutching his leg in agony while having accomplished nothing more than making the doors creak slightly in apparent mockery of his efforts.

While he hops around in pain, Mitsuki grabs your hand tightly. You resist the urge to shake off her hand, even though her grip is making you even more nervous by the second.

“There’s no way to open it,” murmurs Kozaka fearfully. “These doors are too sturdy. We are stuck.”

“Well, the door is controlled by that keypad over there, right?” points out Shiba. “If we found the passcode, we could open it and get back!”

“Yeah… you’re right. I didn’t know you were that smart, Shiba,” grins Sakimura in friendly mockery while massaging his foot.

The tall girl blushes and snaps back at him, hands on her hips. “I-I score better than you at school! Where do you get off talking like that, Sakimura?”

“Fools,” cackles Amanozaki scornfully before their banter goes any further – you have to hand it to her… she knows how to disrupt the mood. “The spirits have sealed this door. Mere numbers will not suffice to break the seal.” She is actually right, but not for the reason she thinks she is… probably. Having the passcode is not sufficient; you would also need the lock to have power.

“Come on, it’s not the supernatural,” retorts Uehara quickly. Her arms are folded – a bead of sweat rolls down the side of her face. She seems rather frustrated for some reason. “Stop peddling that nonsense. The wind blew it shut, or there was a mechanical error, or something happened. Not spooky spirits out of nowhere.”

“A lot of excuses when you could just believe something simpler,” sneers Amanozaki.

“Okay then. Let’s take your word for it. If spirits did do it, great psychic, why don’t you unlock that door for us right now?” Uehara throws down the challenge boldly with quite some venom.

“That is what I will do,” replies Amanozaki without hesitation. She rummages in her bag and brings out a large, well-worn tome. “This is my book of rituals and spells. I have recorded within its depths the mystical practices of myriad cultures. The answer I seek will always be within.” She opens up the book, thumbing through the dog-eared pages quickly.

“Can we hurry up?” asks Shiba, looking around the darkened hallways anxiously.

“You cannot hurry spiritual work… but yes, I have found what I am looking for,” claims Amanozaki imperiously. Then, her expression softens as she gives everyone an apologetic look. “Hm… hm… I see. Unfortunately, I do not have the tools required for this spell at the moment.”

“Not even in that big bag of yours?” asks Uehara sarcastically.

“I do not yet claim to have mastered the ability to create a Bag of Holding,” says Amanozaki primly. “What I can carry is limited.”

“Well, if we are done with this nonsense, can we move on?” sighs Uehara, gracefully shaking her head as if a point has been proven.

You take a look at your surroundings again. Faint light from outside shines in from multiple large windows set into the ceiling and the walls. You are on what seems to be a balcony overlooking the swimming pool. The majority of the building is taken up by the pool: it looks to be Olympic-sized, and there are also diving platforms of various heights. Finding a map of the current floor, you note that the doors in the hallway ahead of you lead to the administrative offices of the building. The floors below you probably house the gymnasium and more physiotherapy facilities.

Looking at the pool, a nostalgic feeling comes back to you.

A. You can swim. The nostalgic feeling is one of pleasantness.

B. You can’t swim. That nostalgic feeling is decidedly unpleasant.

“Hey, is there something in the water?” Kozaka adjust his spectacles, peering over the balcony. You follow his gaze – indeed, there seems to be something glinting sporadically at the bottom of the pool as it catches the dim light from time to time. From this height, you cannot make out what it is, however.

“Hm? Come on, Sakimura, let’s go and take a closer look! It’s probably important, like a key of some sort.” Shiba grabs Sakimura’s hand and pulls him along.

“Ah, wait! Uehara, come on!” Sakimura calls out.

Uehara is still looking at the doors, frowning and pointedly ignoring a sulking Amanozaki. Hearing Sakimura’s call, she turns and replies. “Alright, alright. I’m coming!” As she moves off to join her friends, she looks at you. “Coming, Shinoseki-san?”

00:59

A. You decide to investigate the administrative office on this floor.

B. You decide to investigate the gymnasium on the lower floor.

C. You decide to investigate the swimming pool.

TOME

Cuckmaster General
I would like to search the administrative offices but I don't think we should split our group. And besides, how could we resist seeing wet Uehara.

AC.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I would like to search the administrative offices but I don't think we should split our group.

Well, if splitting up is always going to be a bad idea I wouldn't keep offering the choice. Then again you're dealing with a bunch of teenagers, so make of it what you will. :lol:

Rex Feral

Prophet
I wouldn't call them bad, though...

Bone white fingers reach out for you, wriggling and contorting. Unable to move or even make a sound, you can only stare back in horror as the tips of those squirming, spindly digits contact the sides of your cheeks and dig in. You can feel the strange bruise marking your body swirling excitedly like a live beast anticipating food. Excruciating pain shoots through your entire body, as if countless roots are piercing and infiltrating every muscle, every nerve, every cell you have within you. Slowly, the fingers pull you in until you are almost nose to nose with her, staring into her hazel eyes.

There is a glint of… mischief? Cruelty? Longing?

Whatever it is, it ceases to matter in the next second.

She tugs at your head gently.

There is a wet, ripping noise, and an almost comical pop.

You feel so much lighter all of a sudden, as your body falls away behind you. It is a strange sight to behold. That of your trailing spine, swarmed with black, writhing tendrils. Your torso and limbs, twitching and jerking about in its last spasms. Your jaw slackens, your tongue lolling stupidly. Your eyes begin to roll up. Your consciousness fades, as she brings you closer…

...I don't think our character would call them good either :lol:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
...I don't think our character would call them good either :lol:

Good point. What would Shinoseki enjoy, anyway? I don't really recall writing him being amused by anything thus far. I'll have to think about it and offer a suitable choice on this matter in the near future.

There was no tsundere romance option in the first update, what did you expect?

We are falling way behind schedule with this adventure.

It's a Japanimu VN-styled adventure, so the 'Common Route' will have minimal romance options until you reach the latter part where you enter the character routes and (potentially) romance the respective females (or males).
:desu:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Aaah swimming.
In this situation it probably means that you have to get butt naked, if you want to dive since clothing gets rather heave when in contact with lot of water. Not that I have anything against seeing fit naked dudes in the pool while ladies admire, but I think our character might come up short in this competition....Or winner depending on genes and protogonatist do have very good genes in that area!...Right!?

I am more interested going to office or seeing those physiotherapy thingies, but I suppose that other characters want to at laest get the map. However I think the more eyes we have in either locatition more merrier and clues we gather.

XA>XB

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think our character might come up short in this competition...
It's okay. We have perfect teeth. Our smile shall outshine theirs (provided that we will remember how to smile)!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom