Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

Executr

Cipher
T.E.R.R.A. - An massive FPS game with fast RTS by Starcave Entertainment
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcave/terra-an-massive-fps-game-with-fast-rts

"Instant swapping between FPS & RTS. Fast paced Real Time Strategy wrapped around the FPS, set in an future realistic Solar System."

Asking for 25k€. Already Greenlighted on Steam. Planned to release on April 2015.
Doesn't look very good, tbh.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The Very Organized Thief

The Very Organized Thief is a casual first person stealth game which lets you play as a thief with a very peculiar way of looting.

Quickly search for items found on your checklist of things to "borrow" and escape. But beware! These items could be anywhere and residents are likely not going to be pleased with you taking their stuff!

Unlike many stealth games which revolve around action and combat, The Very Organized Thief is focused on the search for items. The thrill of searching for what you need to find and using the skills you have to overcome any obstacles you may face, and hopefully get out of there before you’re caught.

a casual first person stealth game

Pity.

You can play the original freeware version (note: Unity Web Player).

Essegi

Cipher

Flamberge is a tactics RPG with simultaneous turns. Both teams plan out their attacks, and then they execute simultaneously.
I've yet to check this, there's a demo...

Destroid

Arcane

Failed: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...sylum-and-scratches.94505/page-2#post-3573519

I recommend reading his final Kickstarter update - it's a morbid thing of grief, rage and confusion.

He seems pretty intent on blaming anyone but himself here. Notably there were very few backers for this, even if they were backing at a higher than usual amount each.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mtkl-israeli-army-women-calendar
20141005103422-MTKL_FACES1.jpg

himmy

Arcane
http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/5/7163201/valve-kickstarter-gabe-newell

Remember when Gabe Newell "invented" Kickstarter in 2009?
By Ben Kuchera on Nov 05, 2014 at 2:56p

Kickstarter has changed how we think about video games in many ways, and it's certainly impacted how we pay for them. Even big names have taken to the crowdfunding platform to get their new ideas off the ground, and crowdfunding in general has seen some huge successes in the past few years.

After revolutionizing how we buy games with Steam, Gabe Newell actually talked about a service very much like Kickstarter, and he did so back in 2009. The stories about his comments are almost eerie in retrospect.

"What I think would be much better would be if the community could finance the games. In other words, ‘Hey, I really like this idea you have. I’ll be an early investor in that and, as a result, at a later point I may make a return on that product, but I’ll also get a copy of that game,'" Newell stated on ABC TV's Good Game.

"So move financing from something that occurs between a publisher and a developer … Instead have it be something where funding is coming out of community for games and game concepts they really like," he continued.

Sound familiar? Kickstarter had already launched by the time Newell was talking up the idea of having fans fund games, but very few people were aware of the company back in 2009. If they had moved quickly, it's very possible Valve could have stolen the market.

"Valve Software disrupted the traditional retail model with Steam. Now they plan to disrupt the traditional funding model for game development … thanks to you," Kotaku wrote in its story about the quote.

Valve got into the crowdfunding business in a small way with the early access program, but it's interesting that Newell was able to see the possibilities of crowdfunded development before Kickstarter became a known entity. The outlet linked to the definition of the word "crowdfunding" just in case readers didn't recognize the term.

The RockPaperShotgun article about the quote is even more fun.

"This doesn’t mean this is exactly what Valve are going to do, but rather it’s Newell throwing an idea out there. But it’s an interesting one," John Walker wrote. "First of all, it means gamers would be picking games they thought worthy (who wouldn’t back a new 2D BOY project, or want to support a Tim Schafer game? (if he sodding released it on PC)). And secondly, and indeed relatedly, it does away with the need for publishers – something some developers might rather enjoy."

Tim Schafer and Double Fine, of course, enjoyed one of the first major successes on Kickstarter, raising $3.3 million in 2012.

skuphundaku

Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Too bad that this mental defficient didn't took the time to check out Kickstarter's launch date. For the record, it's 28 April 2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter), all the while Newell's interview happened in the second half of July 2009. All that he manages to prove is that Newell wasn't aware that what he was talking about was already happening. Then again, we're talking about Polygon here, that bastion of solid journalism :troll:, and Ben Kuchera, who couldn't recognize good journalism even if his life depended on it.

himmy

Arcane
Too bad that this mental defficient didn't took the time to check out Kickstarter's launch date. For the record, it's 28 April 2009 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter), all the while Newell's interview happened in the second half of July 2009. All that he manages to prove is that Newell wasn't aware that what he was talking about was already happening. Then again, we're talking about Polygon here, that bastion of solid journalism :troll:, and Ben Kuchera, who couldn't recognize good journalism even if his life depended on it.

Did you even skim the article, or is the anti-journalistic circlejerk so strong that it literally blinds people?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So I guess you're one of the Newell's fellatio army. Whatever...

Kickstarter had already launched by the time Newell was talking up the idea of having fans fund games,

The article says that Kickstarter had already launched. And no, I am not a Gabe N or Valve fan, I don't even own any of their games.

himmy

Arcane

skuphundaku

Patron
So I guess you're one of the Newell's fellatio army. Whatever...

That's...wow...are you a stock poster explaining how logic fallacies work?
So you are a Newell fangirl. Nice of you to confirm it so easily.

Oh, lord, just when I thought this forum is fine, cause it's not as filled with 13 year olds....
You can leave anytime you want. You wouldn't be the first newfag who couldn't cut it and ran screaming.

Starwars

Arcane
Man, you Codex people are real internet tough guys!

Pledged for the Cold War RPG, a promising idea and Unrest, while short, was enjoyable to me.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Did you even skim the article, or is the anti-journalistic circlejerk so strong that it literally blinds people?

So, you mean there's something wrong with anti-journalism, especially of the gaming kind?

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
Which game? I'm not following this thread.
From the developers of Unrest, Late To The Party: A Cold War Espionage RPG in the Baltics

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pyrodactyl/late-to-the-party-a-cold-war-espionage-rpg-in-the

Arrest, interrogate, and uncover the truth as a local recruited by the KGB.

I'm more worried about KGB funding far leftist extremists in the academia.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom