Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Magna Mundi - Better grab your popcorn folks, this one will go into the DRAMA history books

attackfighter

Magister
Is that all based on Ubik's word alone? He's lied in the past so I wouldn't put much trust in him now. Especially the bit about PI wanting to release the game, that contradicts everything PI has done so far.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Not to mention even if it was true, Ubik's crew has most likely failed to meet or broken every section of the contract AND has gotten lots of leeway with it until now. I would say that even in case they were now out to complete jew out Ubik and UV, they probably deserve it.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Well, it doesn't say anywhere that Paradox asked for the money, just that he's not going to give them anything, one of his delusions of grandeur. If Paradox has been paying for the development of MM the results belong to them, shitty as they might be, now they're asking for the code and he's unwilling to give the game nor the money used on develop the game he wants to take hold of.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Somehow devs of AoD (Arsenal of Democracy, not the shitty RPG) and Darkest Hour didn't have problems with Paradox.

In fact don't forget that it isn't Paradox that is making patches for those. A publisher won't mess with devs who are yet to provide support for the game if it's to sell. Unless those devs really fucked up.

Modder scene isn't exactly known for stability when it comes to meeting deadlines or even getting their stuff playable.

Paradox said SotS2 was a big mistake (which it was) - somehow you don't see them going "give us back our monies" there.

Secretninja

Cipher
If paradox was paying their salaries why on earth does this guy think he gets to keep the code produced for the game? No way are the lawyers who drew up the contract for the project that bad.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
In my book, cancelling a game at this stage and in these conditions while demanding back the money used for funding its development for two and a half years, demanding also the engine of the game, continuing to enjoy the ownership of the brand and retaining the possibility of releasing Magna Mundi for you, has a far uglier name than “cancellation”.

Ubik definitely claims that Paradox wants the money back.

Who knows if it is true or not.

Secretninja

Cipher
As a wild guess, maybe they said give us what you have so far or give us back all the money you have been paid to produce it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
They could've demanded whatever money and code they got left which is logical since they won't be needing them anymore.

So Paradox will can a project only to suddenly release it and grab all the moneys (like Magna Mundi is some AAA blockbuster)? That totally will serve their reputation well in any future deals with 3rd party devs, considering how many of them they have under the wing.

Some people on the Codex need to stop believing in this "Publishers are evil! Poor devs are innocent" shitty dev brainwashing. Somehow "poor devs" never complain when they are still getting paid.

curry

Arcane
Some people on the Codex need to stop believing in this "Publishers are evil! Poor devs are innocent" shitty dev brainwashing.

Yes, there's nothing wrong with the ethics of a company that cuts content from a product to sell it as multiple separate DLCs for extra profit. :lol:

Morkar Left

Nobody's really bitching about Paradox here. It looks more like both sides have its share into this with Ubik having the most responsibilities for the projects failure.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yes, there's nothing wrong with the ethics of a company that cuts content from a product to sell it as multiple separate DLCs for extra profit. :lol:

Surely you mean "poor innocent devs cut out content from a product to sell it as multiple separate DLCs for extra profit"?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Ubik commited to mental institution, tries to sue everyone

I really, REALLY wish I was making this up.

Sadly, I am not.
sad.gif

http://www.publico.pt/sociedade/not...ternaram-a-forca-e-o-deram-como-louco-1675130

As you can check, this is one of our country's top newspapers. Also, if you google the title, you'll see it is on all our press. His photo is there, too.

It is in Portuguese, so I will translate:

Carlos Rodrigues [Gustavo, which you know as Ubik of Magna Mundi], the programmer that was forcibly committed during 71 days under the Mental Health Act, has decided to sue five of the doctors that were involved in several stages of his clinical process. The first criminal complaint was filed at the Oeiras Court on September 22nd. This is not the first time that compulsively committed people appeal to the courts against this kind of decision. The relatives, who ordered the commitment, defend that Carlos suffers from "delirious disturbances" and that doesn't want to treat himself.

Carlos Rodrigues, 42 years old, says he had never been to a psychiatrist in his whole life, that he never took any psychiatric medication and that, nevertheless, on October 13th last year, four police officers [PSP] knocked on his door to lead him to the hospital. They had with them a warrant. It was claimed that he was "carrier of a psychic anomaly", that his health condition had "deteriorated", that he represented a danger and refused treatment.

He ended up being committed for 71 days at the Psychiatric and Mental Health Department at the Egas Moniz Hospital in Lisbon, got medicated with injectable antipsychotics. He claims that his "professional life got ruined", that he got a depression because of the commitment and the medication, and that the stigma of his alleged madness will remain forever as a scar.

(...)

In the case of Carlos, it was his relatives, his parents, his brother and sister-in-law, who is a doctor, who asked for his commitment because they were convinced that he suffers from a mental illness of prolonged evolution. At the basis of this conviction by the relatives would be information that he supposedly put on the Internet, claims Carlos. So as the fact that in the family, his paternal grandfather, had been diagnosed with schizophrenia. The programmer adds that, at the time of his commitment, he had cut relations with his parents, precisely because they had been saying to his friends, underage daughter and professional contacts that he suffers from a mental illness, something that destroyed his credibility and brought him several problems at work.

His relatives, however, claim that Carlos suffers from "delirious ideas", "that he started to tape conversations with his family saying that they were harming him", that he was being watched with video surveillance cameras, and considering "his father as the main culprit of the conspiracy", says the report about his case, made by the Psychiatric Center of Lisbon, which took part in the process of compulsive internment and was appreciated at the Criminal Court of Lisbon. The family tried, for several times, to take him to the psychiatrist and Carlos did not accept, said the relatives.

Carlos has now moved a lawsuit against the doctors, because he claims to have been commited unfairly and that he does not suffer from any mental problem. He especially denies "a clinical information" that was at the origin of his commitment, that was asked by his relatives and is signed by a intern in psychiatrics (still in her graduation period). In the note, the then intern says that the information that was passed to her was given to the intern by the relatives and by the sister-in-law, "worthy of credibility", because it was her "colleague", as it is written in the clinical information of October 11th, 2013, to which the PUBLICO had access.

In the clinical information, even though she never saw him, the doctor takes as granted that Carlos suffers from "delirious perturbances with a long evolution period". She makes reference to his social isolation and severance of his ties with his family. At his first psychiatric evaluation, at the Urgencies of the Hospital S. José, to where he was taken by the police, another doctor wrote that Carlos suffers from "persistant delusional psychosis". Carlos claims that this doctor barely spoke with him, read the clinical information of the other doctor and took informations only near his relatives

Pedro Silva Lopes, Carlo's lawyer, that, for the first time, exposed the case in an opinion article in PUBLICO, says that the document which was the basis of the commitment was requested by him since the beguinning, but was "intentionally hidden during six months" by the hospital. Only on April 9th this year, already after the patient had had leave from the hospital, was the paper given to him. The psychiatrist in question works at the Hospital Egas Moniz, where Carlos was committed.

Carlos Rodrigues asks: "How can you pass a paper saying that a person is a complete looney without having seen him? There are no reports of any misbehaviour". Carlos Rodrigues claims to have a programming company that recieves european funding and that several deals were lost due to the commitment and the strong antipsychotic medication to which he was forcibly subjected to, besides the fact that he became stymgatized. "This will be with me for the rest of my life. If I have a problem in the bone of my leg and the wrong leg is cut off, I will complain, but an alleged mental patient doesn't have credibility for anything."

Eating-Popcorn-Soda.gif

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh fuck, apparently this turned into a minor scandal in Portugal. The local media came out in favor of him, saying he was committed unjustly, and now this: http://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,12131.45.html

Well, this is turning to be a bit of a national scandal. There is talk about changing the Mental Healt Act.

Ubik was interviewed today by 'Rádio Renascença' (one of our major radio stations).

Here is the video of the interview, which is accompanied by a panel of experts. It is in Portuguese, but you can take the chance to see Ubik's face, hear his voice and see his body language:

http://vmais.rr.sapo.pt/default.aspx?fil=801304

(it can be preceded by a short ad)

Also, the whole incident has put the health officials under pressure:

http://www.ionline.pt/artigos/portugal/internamento-compulsivo-sem-ver-doente-n-normal

Psychiatry. Compulsive interment without seeing the patient is not normal

In reaction to 'I's story, the director of the Psychiatric Center of Lisbon says that, in a similar case, he would open an inquiry

"Medicine is not an exact science", warns the clinical director of the Psychiatric Center of Lisbon. According to José Salgado it is not, however, normal to be issued a warrant to be led to urgencies wihout the patient having already been seen or followed by the doctor that makes the report. Faced with the case of Carlos reported by 'I', a man that was interned for three months in a psyciatrical ward without having any problems, José Salgado said: "It is not at all usual that a patient could be led to the hospital without being seen", and he admitted thatat the root could be "a clinical or ethical error".

Contacted because he is responsible for the psychiatrical urgencies at São José, he said he has nothing to say about the case, since that, after Carlos entered this hospital, the internment was made already at Egas Moniz: "and that hospital does not belong to us". Even so, Salgado said that he has no doubts that, "if a similar situation ever happens at the Psychiatrical Center of Lisbon, [we will act] immediately, opening an inquiry to establish the truth of the facts".

The stance that a compulsive internemt with these characteristics is not common is shared by Mário Durval, Health Deputy at Barreiro: " It would not even be a legally correct procedure, if already at the entry interview there was no signs of an illness".

Egas Moniz Hospital has not answered, however, if the case has been or will be analyzed, but it confirmed that "the interment of the patient lasted for 71 days". The health unit underlined also that after this situation, the patient is being "followed in psychiatrical consultations at the hospital of his area of residence".

About the fact that the Health Delegate Rita Saldanha de Azevedo had issued a warrant to be led to the urgencies with basis on an information made without evaluating the patient in person, the 'I' put that question to the Regional Health Administration of Lisbon, which said it could not talk about the case. "Without the express consent of the responsible in question, it cannot nor should be divulged or commented on [personal data], especially when the purpose of those is to be published by the media", answered an official source, which noted that this process is handled by the hospitals themselves.

"The procss of the mentioned sick person is ran by the hospitals, with whok the Regional Administration keeps a constant articulation, and simultaneously involves acts and competences of other institutions, namely the Health Authorities and the Courts".

SCO

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
It is kinda fucked up that people can be forced into an institution like that.

Nigger

Educated
I always knew the person to keep 3 systems of piracy in Magna Mundi was crazy.

Perkel

Arcane
Holy shit that is some vile shit.

So psychiatrist intern released opinion without seeing dude upon which dude was held off for 71 days on heavy drugs ?
Some juicy lawsuit for him and he had company that lost money due to that which means he will be able to sue them for "lost money".

I am writing this because i have complete schizophrenic (non stop anger mode) in family and stuff she takes would burn hole in your brain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom