Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Shantae, Anachronox, Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines and Devil Survivor: Overclocked.

Beat Shantae, it was alright. Got it on eShop for 5 bucks so I can't complain too much. Very flair > substance though. I heard the series gets better, and for some reason I'm gonna try them out.

Anachronox playthrough is going well, I'm in the Lower Levant, and I almost got all the characters so I assume I'm close to beating it. After I found out there was a speedup button that let's me breeze through movement, combat and some cut scenes I've been enjoying the game tenfold. In this regard, I realize that I'm not too big of a fan of the JRPG formula. The easy as shit battles, the long somewhat tedious dungeons that require less thought than a switch puzzle, etc. The way the story plays out, it would've definitely been better if it was an Adventure game instead. Still good, though.

On the other hand, Commandos is kicking my ass like it freaking should. Probably one of the only Real Time strategy-ish games I've enjoyed. Also one of the first, so not too big of a title.

Devil Survivor I haven't played too much, but it's definitely my kind of SRPG. It's not cute, it isn't flat-out grindy, the story is decent and the gameplay is pretty refined and well done.

Strayed

Educated
Southern Hemisphere's Canada (New Zealand)
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. God I love this game, especially with Capcom's attitude to the system.

"Balance? The fuck is that faggotry?" :lol:

And yet it somehow works. It's the opposite to what you'd think it would be. Eliminators are still rage inducing though.

Machocruz

Arcane
Had to wait in my car for a couple hours last night. Remembered I had a DS in my pack

GTA: Chinatown Wars - Good if you liked 1 and 2. But I have to admit that GTA3 was a change for the better.

A Link To The Past - Console games are not this well put together anymore. If you think they are, you're wrong. Hits on every level of game design. This is how polished and tight console games should be, no excuses. Otherwise there is no point to owning anything besides a PC.

I hope this holds true for Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, which is next on the schedule and will be my first time with the series.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Poor choice of last words...

05.jpg

This cult is terminated, in the name of the Empra, Shi.

06.jpg

Cleansing method of transport.

07.jpg

All impurities have been purged.

RK47

Patron
Guys thanks for coming along, can't possibly do it without you.

08.jpg

Alright, we're gonna go in with guns blazing, take a dose of Psycho - shit's gonna get heavy. Marcus, take one. Cass-

09.jpg

Uh...you okay?

10.jpg

What a great start.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
That Enclave oil rig entrance looks like pregnant alleyway in PST. A bit.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Playing The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. Azazel is ridiculously overpowered. Starts out the game capable of flight, meaning he's got maneuverability sorted, a good rate of fire, and an extremely effective if short-ranged attack. This means all you've really got to worry about in the first few levels is getting your damage and health up, since he starts off with 3 black hearts and no regular health.

RK47

Patron
Yeah I finally finished Fallout 2.
The end.

14.jpg

15.jpg

Was fun. Got crappy at New Reno.

dunno lah

Arcane
Played another game from my past. This time it was Choujin Sentai Jetman for the NES Micro Genius. Stupidly easy game that I beat in about an hour but I don't regret playing it again 'cause the music is awesome. The intro theme is just delightful and really brought back memories from the time I was 4 years old living "at the edge of Johore".

pippin

Deus Ex: The Fall.

Got it in a recent squeenix bundle which had all DE + Hitman games. Human Revolution was very good, in a legit way, not just "good because I had low expectations). I knew The Fall was bad, and I saw that TB video, but curiosity got me.
The first thing you notice are the PS2 graphics, but that was to be expected, since it's a mobile port (if you play this, note that every character, aug or not, has a 100 yard stare). However, the voice acting is very mediocre. I think Eliza Cassan has the same VA here and she sounds really, really fake, which surprised me.
Gameplay feels limited. You can't jump, which limits your infiltration options quite dramatically, but maps are very small and designed to exploit cover tactics. Animations are very stiff, though, so combat can be complicated. It's funny to see how enemies disintegrate when you kill/stun them.
The inventory has an in-built store system, so merchants aren't necessary. It feels weird.
Main character looks and talks like a constipated Jean Reno lookalike. Worst part about him is that he had a one night stand with Yelena Fedorova. How did than happen ffs.

Deleted member 7219

GOG.com released the two worst versions of TIE Fighter - the original with only one of the expansions, and the really shiity 98 remake with Red Book Audio. They didn't release the best version of the game, Collector's CD-ROM 1995.

Fortunately I still have that and I decided to dust off my CDs and play a little bit of it again. Still the best game ever made.

Ivan

Arcane
GOD HAND dat bass

Fought a Gorilla Luchador

Got turned into a chihuahua

Saved a man from a pack of poison chihuahuas

Mashed A button to smash women's asses

How to even begin...it's like DMC3 as a beat-em-up where you can customize ALL of your moves. Enemies are ridiculous, voice acting is horrendously hilarious (alliteration bru). It's one of the best games ever made and it's just about punching people.

5 housr in and this is already in my top ten list, right up there with DMC3
:5/5:

:brodex:

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Finally finished the master popamoler Assassins Creed IV, took me what, 2+ months since I started playing it.
Ended at 73% sync, was about even with the side content about half way through then I stopped giving a shit and finished the story part.
Upgraded the boat till about 80% cause for the last upgrade for most of the stuff some "elite" plan was required. Could easily take on 2 man o' wars anyway. Anything marked under lv50 was a breeze. Tried to take on a legendary ship and got my ass whopped, my mortars did like 5% damage on it on full hit.
Wo2D9sO.jpg
Those last .4 could be the credits cause the fucking thing went on forever, that was easily 20 minutes if not more.

Also got over 3 days of play time on Trials Fusion. Ranked 168 on PC leaderboards now, mostly cause I got better at speedrunning Hard tracks. Still the poor child of Trials, Pc version got now like 2200 custom tracks while PS4 is nearing 30k.

Ivan

Arcane

Viewtiful Joe

Combat is a bit basic, not much depth to it. I do like how some enemies require certain tactics to take down. It's very polished, features great enemy variety, and fun boss fights. Also, despite it's cutesy look, it's genuinely difficult. Not Kamiya's best action game but it's solid. Worth a playthrough.
:3/5:

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
To my own surprise I’m really quite taken with Shadow of Mordor. Yes, it shits all over the lore and its difficulty drops off too fast. But still. Hunting orc captains, battling through their ranks, being overwhelmed by their numbers and especially all the character and flair those orcs show make the game for me. Amazing how personal they manage to make the interactions in a game with randomly build enemies. The chance for a genuine nemesis go down once you become overpowered but when it happens it is really neat.

My favourites so far were a, frankly, rather creepy orc who only giggled like a maniac and somehow managed to kill me or get away from me a disturbing amount of times and a massive Uruk who somehow became impervious to pretty much everything I could throw at him. Regular attacks, arrows, sneak attacks, caragors, fire, explosions where just irritations he shrugged off. Whether his combination of traits that made him nearly invulnerable where WAD or a bug I dunno, but it was fun to lure the fuck into one of those troll lairs. That worked.

Surprise hit of the year for me.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
:lol: was this modded in ?

I think it's always been this way. Cassidy can't take drugs stronger than alcohol (not that he needs them). There is a "heart medication" item that has no use and was probably meant to be used on him.

Isn't the heart medication for one of the mob bosses in New Reno? (The one who has a heart attack if you use jet on him).

DeepOcean

Arcane
Tried playing Borderlands the Pre-Sequel.

Positives:
+Some nice cartoony art on some places.
+Loot doesn't scale exponentially like Borderlands 2.
+The low gravity allow for some more mobility on the firefights, jumping and hitting enemies on the face with a shotgun is kinda of fun.
+Freezing weapons are fun, hitting enemies with freezing grenades and shattering them with a slam is kinda of fun.

Negatives:
-This game would make Feargus proud, it is even more slam dunky than New Vegas, at least, New Vegas had enough good new additions like not retarded writing, for example, that are kind of important. This game is slum dunky and even the designers are proud of it, there is a side quest where a character says "I will make the biggest slam dunk on the history of games."
-Borderlands always had bad writing but , at least, Borderlands 2 tried even if it failed alot on that. Anyway, the story on Borderlands The Pre-Sequel is about Jack rise to power if you believe the Marketing material but on practice it is a bunch of random boring fetch quests with some story tacked on over them, okay, Borderlands 2 was already guilty of that but this time is even worse.
-This game is piss easy, even more than than the previous ones, the laser weapons make all enemies on the last third of the game absolutely trivial and the game even more boring. The last third is almost unplayable of how easy it is.
-No new enemies, Borderlands 2 added quite a few enemies that were fun to play with, here, not so much.
-It is shorter than Borderlands 2 and doesn't have any set piece or boss fight or any more intense fights while Borderlands 2 had much better pacing.
-The secondary characters, especially the lesbian chick are fucking annoying. I hate those SWJ hipocrites, making fun of southern americans is okay but make fun of any minority and the morons go screaming to the hills.
-Somehow australians think that the only thing you need to do to make something funny is to make the characters say random bullshit on an annoying accent.

Conclusion
Banal, shit, boring. Not even good for what it is and a downgrade on all aspects when compared with the previous games.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
First play-through of Icewind Dale (and its expansion HoW) finished. Bravo, Black Isle. Bravo!

Since I'm still on a D&D kick, I meant to play ToEE (with Co8) next but, Crispy forgive me, I just couldn't get into the game.
Maybe it's the setting (I prefer Forgotten Realms) or the hella-ridiculous radial menus or the shitty ass voice acting but I'm putting
it on the backburner for now and replacing it with....

Pool of Radiance
HOLY FUCK (You don't know/remember how much you cherish mouse support until you lose it)!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom