Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Emulation central - recommendations in 1st post

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Tried this RetroArch DOSbox, choose core, start game with it and nothing happened. It show Mount C F:/Game.exe and stopped. No reaction.
Any ideas?

A user named cat

Tried this RetroArch DOSbox, choose core, start game with it and nothing happened. It show Mount C F:/Game.exe and stopped. No reaction.
Any ideas?
Ehh, I wouldn't use RA for DOSBox. Likely missing a lot of important config options plus it'd be clunky as hell.

If you want a frontend and something user-friendly to tweak and run DOSBox, then try D-Fend Reloaded

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I used that one long time ago, didn't helped in my case (one, really demanding game). Now trying some custom build and maybe freeDOS.
Heard that give boost for NDS games so I though it also give boost for some cluncky DOS games. Whatever.

A user named cat

D-Fend is a frontend, it has nothing to do with how DOSBox performs. It just makes it easier to set up configurations for games and tweak their settings. Nothing beats convenience like per-game profiles. I assume you're trying to run a game that requires a high cpu cycle rate, in which case you'll likely need a faster PC. On my old Phenom II for example, I couldn't get Realms of the Haunting to run for shit because it requires such a high cycle rate, so it chugged no matter what. Runs fine on my 4670k though.

If you want to try a different version of DOSBox to see if you get better performance, then use Daum's SVN Build. It has way more built-in features than basic DOSBox, even mt-32 support. Open it and go up to Video tab, then try the different outputs. Maybe you'll get better performance with DirectDraw, OpenGL or something. Daum's build also has vsync and save states too.

spekkio you should add Daum's build when you post your recommended list too, I think it's easily the best version of DOSBox for reasons mentioned above.

A user named cat

I found Daum's MT-32 implementation a bit wonky, like MUNT. The approach I used in my Krondor guide (in the sig) seems to work better, at least for me.
Are you referring to soundfonts and BASSMidi? I've posted about those too here a few times. I like to mix and match a few SF's so every gap is filled (Fluid + SGM + Custom Drumkit). Not the same as MT-32 though, that's just a midi alternative.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with mt-32 in Daum's and I believe he has updated it quite a few times, just as ScummVM has too. MUNT is pretty obsolete at this point.

spekkio

Arcane
BROs, some moar. :oops:

Commodore 64 / 128

Vice

Stable Builds
WIP Builds

Reason: 'cuz.

iVxJZMO.jpg

fmQvqDl.jpg

sKv5EPa.jpg

8IPPea4.jpg

VbQl8aw.jpg

iCqfRVR.jpg
Commodore Amiga / CD32

WinUAE

Stable Builds
WIP Builds

Reason: :roll:

bqKNm1o.jpg

IosIAPO.jpg

mvhxlIF.jpg

H12HmL8.jpg

ZOQBBiO.jpg

g1LZW7C.jpg
Atari XL/XE

Stable Builds
WIP Builds

Reason: Phaeron

CaSBkT2.jpg

o0zMq2P.jpg

KeALWSO.jpg
Atari ST

Stable Builds
WIP Builds

Reasons: Does anybody even care about ST :?

DCU21dT.jpg

vfYC8L1.jpg
Microsoft DOS

DosBox

Stable Builds
WIP Builds
Daum SVN Builds (GUI, Quicksaves, V-Sync, Direct3D & OpenglHQ Output, Glide emulation, moar peripherals, MT-32 and more)

Pics

Also, what's allowed when it comes to bios files / what can I do:
1) post links to personally uploaded bios files (mediafire) - renamed, packed, fully prepared,
2) post links to external (mostly russian) sites with bios files - would require renaming / high-INT build,
3) not allowed.

SuicideBunny

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Additional lulz:

Tested TWO games on Pcsx-R: Front Mission 3 and Vagrant Story (ohsogreat "new" plugins and Pete's).

FM3 hangs on loading screen.
VS hangs right at the beginning (before intro).

Both games work perfectly on Mednafen, ePSXe and (not so perfectly) pSX.

What can I say...

:bravo:

spekkio

Arcane
Also, what's allowed when it comes to bios files / what can I do:
1) post links to personally uploaded bios files (mediafire) - renamed, packed, fully prepared,
2) post links to external (mostly russian) sites with bios files - would require renaming / high-INT build,
3) not allowed.

:roll:

spekkio

Arcane
Use gpuBladeSoft vid plugin with Shark Enhanced patch for ePSXe, best setup for it. Since most links are dead now, I uploaded my emu folder with everything. You'll only need to change a couple things since I have like Peops Dsound set to 5.1 for my surround speakers.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/1h25a2qyyz2k8wr/ePSXe.zip
Is Shark 1.9.0 fully compatible with epsxe 1.9.0.? Forum fags mention some problems and claim that ATM 1.8.0>1.9.0 (still WIP).

Phantasmal

A user named cat

Is Shark 1.9.0 fully compatible with epsxe 1.9.0.? Forum fags mention some problems and claim that ATM 1.8.0>1.9.0 (still WIP).
I don't recall having any issues with it. I ditched and deleted ePSXe though as soon as Mednafen added save support. No need to dick around with plugins and settings. The only thing I miss is 5.1 audio with Peops audio but I'll take accuracy anyday.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
BROs, since there are a lot of "which emu is the best for X platform" posts in this thread, I've decided to prepare a simple FAQ which I plan to include in the Opening Post (tm).

tl;dr version - recommended emulators by platform:

NES: Nestopia or Retroarch-Nestopia
SNES: Retroarch-bsnes/Snes9x-Next cores
N64: Project64 & retroarc-Mupen64Plus core
NGC/Wii: Dolphin
GB/GBC: Retroarch-Gambatte core
GBA: VBA-M or Retroarch-Next Core
NDS: Retroarch-Desmume Future Core or vanilla Desmume
SMS/GG/GEN/32X/SCD: Retroarch-GenesisPlusGx Core or Kega Fusion
SAT: SSF or Yabause
DC: demul or Nulldc
PCE: Mednafen
PS1: Mednafen or epsxe or PCSX-R
PSP: PPSSPP
PS2: pcsx2

Todo: C64, Amiga, Atari XL/XE ST, NeoGeo, Dos, etc.

:negative:

Thank you based meng. Saving this for the future.

deuxhero

Arcane
Recent SVNs have dramatically sped up Dolphin. If you had a game that run extremely slowly or chuged to a crawl in some sections I suggest updating.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELL BROS QUICK UPDATE ON NMY MAME MACHINCE PROJECT

SO FAR I HAVE WORKINB WITH MY FRONTEND AND MOST ROMSD I WANT AMD TITLE PICTURES PLUS VIDEOS

MAME
NES
SNES
TG16 AMD CD
GENSESIS

WORKING INT FRONTEND BUT NOT FINISHED WOTH COLLECTRION

C64
AMIGA
SATURN
INTELLIVISION

THINGS I MIGHT TRY TO ADS

3DO
GAMECUBE IF MY SHIT CAN HANFDLE IT
PLAYSTATION
ATARI 2600
MAYBE N64 THOUGH DIDNT GET GOOD RESUKTS LAST TIME

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Guys, i need some support on PS2 emulator. What games can i run in my machine? Core2duo e6750 2.66gigahurtz, Nvidia GT 640 2 gb ram, 4 gb ddr2, windows 7. Games i tested which runs at decent speed: Rule of Rose(some slowdowns in major areas), Shadow Tower Abyss.

Games that runned too shitty: MGS3: subsistence, ZOE, Drakengard.

Only tested these so far. ghostdog have same CPU as me, which games can you run bro? Which gamecube games could my PC run well? Additionaly, which CPU should i aquire to run all these games?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I've managed to play MSG3 decently, albeit with some slowdowns in certain areas. Check the PCSX2 forums for settings, I can't recall what specific options I toggled. Frankly I've been able to play all (more or less decently) games I've tried with the emulator: Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, MGS3, Dragon Quest V, Persona 4.

I can also play anything from Gamecube without problems.

Wii emulation is pretty good too. I've played Xenoblade chronicles without problems.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I've managed to play MSG3 decently, albeit with some slowdowns in certain areas. Check the PCSX2 forums for settings, I can't recall what specific options I toggled. Frankly I've been able to play all (more or less decently) games I've tried with the emulator: Shadow of the Colossus, ICO, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, MGS3, Dragon Quest V, Persona 4.

I can also play anything from Gamecube without problems.

Wii emulation is pretty good too. I've played Xenoblade chronicles without problems.
Maybe you have a powerful GPU, does overclock? If a game dips below 50 fps it becomes unplayable for me, characters start talking in slow motion which is kinda hilarious.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
GPU ATI 4870.

There were instances in MGS3 that things got p.slow, but for the biggest part it was OK. Mind you, MGS3 was by far the most difficult game I've tried to emulate. On earlier PCSX2 versions it was completely unplayable. Even if you can't run it with good speed, you'll probably have no problems with the other games I've mentioned.

You could try overclocking your gpu. It can be easily OCed to 3,2 GHz. In fact now that I think of it I may have had it overclocked for MGS3 :P . I reverted it at some point because I was searching for the reason of some crashing (it was a RAM problem) and never bothered to OC again. It was p.stable as far as I recall. (but frankly never saw a big difference in performance)

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WELL BROS PLAYSTATION AND 3DO WERR EASY

DREAMCAST IS MOSTLY DONE JUST HAD TO DICK WITH CONFIG AND FRONTEND SETUP

I FINISHED MY SATURN SETUP WITH IMAGDE FILES AND VIDS

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Any NGPC emulator from this century with proper scaling? My SvC nerve is itching.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Whoa

I can play video games on my computer? Really?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom