Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Hello,

The FINAL FANTASY XIII team have been working hard to improve your experience on Steam and we're happy to announce the following changes will be rolled out at the beginning of December.

■ All versions
Custom resolutions (720p, 1080p...) and graphic options will be added.

We'll be in touch as soon as we're ready for the next one!

SQUARE ENIX
http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements/detail/251401353223653928

Deleted member 7219

Hello,

The FINAL FANTASY XIII team have been working hard to improve your experience on Steam and we're happy to announce the following changes will be rolled out at the beginning of December.

■ All versions
Custom resolutions (720p, 1080p...) and graphic options will be added.

We'll be in touch as soon as we're ready for the next one!

SQUARE ENIX
http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements/detail/251401353223653928

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Now I hope they fix the terrible performance. Getting below 30FPS in some areas even though I have a 750TI.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I will only buy XIII-2 and LR, plus I got Valkyria Chronicles. So 2 old games for 2 new games & a PC copy of a old one.

Deleted member 7219

Just got to Gran Pulse (Chapter 11).

Chapter 10 was boring as fuck - the cutscenes were good, but I was so tired of the gameplay I skipped most of the fights. I heard the best place to grind is on Pulse so I thought I'd spare myself the pain of wading through the trash mobs.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Chapter 10 was boring as fuck - the cutscenes were good, but I was so tired of the gameplay I skipped most of the fights. I heard the best place to grind is on Pulse so I thought I'd spare myself the pain of wading through the trash mobs.

It's the only place in the game that is not a corridor so enjoy it while it lasts.

Duraframe300

Arcane

You don't have to grind at all for finishing the story. The only place you really need to is postgame (after you finished your game) on pulse when everythings unlocked.

Deleted member 7219

You don't have to grind at all for finishing the story. The only place you really need to is postgame (after you finished your game) on pulse when everythings unlocked.

Ah. I just found that there's a hell of a lot of Crystarium to get through so I thought I'd need to spend some time getting CP.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Ah. I just found that there's a hell of a lot of Crystarium to get through so I thought I'd need to spend some time getting CP.

Its wasted time. Just do some missions and try getting the CP egg if you want (You have to do this AFTER you beat the chapters boss, but before advancing the plot). Doubles your earned cp which really adds up. Only thing really worth to do in ch. 11 if you want to go back after for the reminder off Pulses content.

Deleted member 7219

Its wasted time. Just do some missions and try getting the CP egg if you want (You have to do this AFTER you beat the chapters boss, but before advancing the plot). Doubles your earned cp which really adds up. Only thing really worth to do in ch. 11 if you want to go back after for the reminder off Pulses content.

Thanks for the advice. The only reason I am playing this is for the story and cutscenes, so the less wasted combat I have to do, the better.

msxyz

Augur
So, against all common sense I bought this game from Steam.

As I'm now in the middle of another relocation, I installed on a MacBook Pro 13" Retina totally expecting crap performance out of the Intel HD graphics. To my surprise, framerate during exploration and 3D cutscenes is fine, but I get a lot of hiccups during FMVs.

This, in combination with having to wait one month for a lame "Quit to windows Y/N" (Square did not even bother to make some custom UI for the menu, it's just standard Windows... window!), confirms that Square is full of morons.

I wonder where all the good Japanese coders that were able to squeeze the last bit out of console hardware went. For sure, nobody works at Square nowadays...

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Deleted member 7219

Custom resolution patch coming next Friday next Thursday: http://steamcommunity.com/games/292120/announcements/detail/252529782418586613

Hello Everyone,

As mentioned recently, the FINAL FANTASY XIII team have been working hard to improve your experience on Steam and we're happy to announce that custom resolutions (720p, 1080p...) and graphic options will be added to the game from December 11th 2014!

I've stopped my playthrough until this patch comes out. Maybe native 1920x1080 support will stop me needing Gedosato - the performance hit is pretty bad, especially now I've reached Pulse.

Deleted member 7219

So the patch is finally out.

The game has a launcher which you can use to change resolution (I've set mine to 1920x1080), audio language, shadow resolution (all the way to 8192x8192... I've set mine at 4096x4096) and interestingly, MSAA all the way to 16x (!). I've set my MSAA to 4x.

I'm glad I don't have to use Gedosato any more, I just don't see the point of downscaling unless you have a monster of a PC, playing an old game that doesn't have good AA support.

In terms of performance I'm not sure what they've done here, although it seems like the minimap doesn't slow things down any more. I'm getting a constant 30 FPS running around Pulse with those huge monsters walking around, battles don't seem to affect FPS which is good. I'll see if there's any slowdowns elsewhere but so far, it is constant.

I'm not a fan of 30FPS though. I'd much prefer higher. I think this is being caused by Square's vSync, which you can't turn off.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, I have fired up Final Fantasy XIII-2 and used the option to recap FF XIII's plot to get up to date. I have watched Spoony's review of the game earlier, and thought that maybe the information combined from that and the recap will allow to me to understand what was going on in the game. Long story short, it did not - I still cannot make any sense out of it. Can anybody here make a reasonable summary or maybe point me to someplace on the net that will present the story in a comprehensive way?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
MicoSelva

I don't think it's that confusing if you actually don't try and make sense of it all; character and villain motivations are just about equally nonsensical and the plot is a mess because random shit keeps happening left and right.

Light & co. are cursed and tasked into destroying Cocoon, the Big City in the Sky, by these beings, or risk becoming abominations. So they do that but somewhere along the way they rebel against their fate. And they try and save Cocoon from the very godlike beings that told them to destroy them. In the end they do but it was these godlike beings that kept the city in the sky so it risks falling into the world below (where people also live). So two party members sacrifice themselves and become the pillar that supports Cocoon. Meanwhile, Light disappears because retardoplot and becomes the Goddess's avatar in Valhalla, which leads into XIII-2.

That's the way I see it and it's functional and nothing you faggots say to try and confuse me will lead me astray.

Perkel

Arcane
So, I have fired up Final Fantasy XIII-2 and used the option to recap FF XIII's plot to get up to date. I have watched Spoony's review of the game earlier, and thought that maybe the information combined from that and the recap will allow to me to understand what was going on in the game. Long story short, it did not - I still cannot make any sense out of it. Can anybody here make a reasonable summary or maybe point me to someplace on the net that will present the story in a comprehensive way?

Unfortunately FXIII plot in game is hard to solve out without actually writing down facts and trying to figure it out.

Gist of it:

There two worlds (Pulse and Cocoon) with two sets of gods one for each word. Naturally those gods don't like each other. There is ruble between them and then long calm. Humans trive at that time of calm on cocoon and gods war is legend at that point for common people but very real thing for cocoon goverment.

So near Bruhl Lighting sister, Sarah after she got hitched with Snow finds a old structure and like kids they go there for fun. Turns out that structure had god inside from that other set of gods who don't like gods from Sarah and Lighting world. Gods like in ancient greek mythology love to use mortals for their fighting so that god branded Sarah which meant two things:

1: She had a goal decided by her master
2: If she didn't fulfill it in time she will turn into a monster

Either way she was fucked. Ok sooo... after than that structure was found out by goverment which like i said earlier didn't forget gods wars and they knew about gods that liked to brand people with missions. They decided to purge whole village to Pulse and naturally they didn't even plan to send them there, just outright kill them. They even had trains like nazis.

So Lighting and Snow start a rebelion on those trains. Fighting fighting. Snow gives gun to Hope's mother, she takes it willingly "mom's are tough". Hope's mother dies later and kid named Hope blames Snow for death of his mother. Vanille late meets Hope. She is insane and takes Hope to Snow for some unknown reason. Lighting also has companion Sahz from train (which was at that time in village so he also got on train) which behaves like token black guy being token black guy.

All them decide to see that Sarah god which was transported. They all meet each other just before its chamber. Sarah becomes crystal which suggest her goal was to get all those people together on that gods transport. They all meat god which attacks them. They defeat it and like in any anime ever they are fucked. They all got branded now.

40h later of corridor fights party arrives at Pulse world and they learn that Pulse is wild as fuck but it isn't evil. Just dinos eating each other. They also find old city called Oerba full of fallen L'cie which suggest that all those city people were used by gods and failed to meet their goal. Vanille and Fang (which joined them later) were from that city. Both of them also were once in crystal state and they lived through it. They all also notice that they all dream of ragnarock aka some superbeast that is supposed to destroy coocoon. Well that is your mission morons. So they have to destroy Coocoon which naturally isn't something they like.

30-40h of exploring awesome Pulse, fighting awesome monsters and such party decides that clock is ticking and better to deal with their mission or they will turn into monsters. So the go back to Cocoon and at the same time Pulse gods again lay siege to Coocoon via monsters from Pulse. Chaos ensues. Lots of bay cutscenes. Cocoon goverment are discovered to be actual cocoon gods. From power source which is god itself, to brain of organization which is another god and so on. Which esentially means that killing those gods means destroying cocoon.

Party doesn't know what to do so they do what they are told to do and hope everything gonna be ok. So they destroy those gods and after that they all turn into monsters (failed their focus?). Through unfified power of friendship love and shitty story they all turn back normal deal with final god. CHAOS. PLANET IS DYING. PLANET IS FALLING FROM SKY !!! DFASDFASFD.

Then Vanille and Fang join hands in lesbomancy magic and they become ragnarock. Huge crystal like serpernt hyrdra. Instead of destroying world it creates pillar from Pulse to Cocoon upon which Coocoon lies down.

For some reason Sarah wakes up on Pulse and she meets all of other members beside vanille fang and for some reason lighting.

THE END

FFXIII-2 Turns out Etro which is ultimate goddes of all gods have own dimension which is named valhalla and she right now is in kind of a pinch beacuse she fights with chaos. So for some reason she called Lighting from her world to became her tsundere knight.

YES you heard it. They used power of shitty writing to have XIII-2 and lighting doesn't have any place in it than just because.
And now you will be fighting with ultimate shitty plot device TIME TRAVEL and What if scenarios !

All of this to have XIII-3 where your favorite tsundere knight can wear all costumes some yellow dude fapped over in his spare time.

-------------
-------------

Generally XIII plot is easy to understand but designers decided that they should tell that story unlineary with those 13 days retrospections which totaly made no sense to begin with and absolutely no reason to.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Aside from the everyone-disappears/turns into monsters--and-then-reappears-again bit (or something along those lines, I forget the details) at/close to the end, I thought FFXIII's plot was pretty comprehensible as I played. Surprisingly so perhaps, given the complaints everywhere.

But yeah, the transition from XIII to XIII-2 seems to be a different story altogether.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I only got the story by reading the game's codex entries. it even mentions stuff that I don't think I heard much about while actually going through the story.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Aside from the everyone-disappears/turns into monsters--and-then-reappears-again bit (or something along those lines, I forget the details) at/close to the end, I thought FFXIII's plot was pretty comprehensible as I played. Surprisingly so perhaps, given the complaints everywhere.

But yeah, the transition from XIII to XIII-2 seems to be a different story altogether.

Its the exact same plot device. That they managed to turn back, save cocoon and Light disappearing is because Etro intervened and then took light to help her. Not really sure whats so complicated about that.

Until XIII-II this has actually been a full-on PowerofLovetm ending.

TigerKnee

Arcane
13-2 just feels like a gigantic retcon to the ending of 13 just to drag things out so who cares if you have no idea what happened in 13?

And then 13-3's plot shits the bed so I hope you weren't expecting a good resolution to the plot

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom