Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Necropolis, a procedurally generated "diabolical dungeon delve" from Harebrained Schemes

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
As long as they keep delivering new Shadowrun campaigns of Dragonfall quality they can make other games too.
i'd rather have them try to improve and not settle on the barely clearing the threshold between mediocre and good of dragonfall.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This isn't a new campaign for Shadowrun Returns...
:negative:

I do too want another Shadowrun game BADLY, but i'm OK with this. If this sells, and makes more money for HBS it's all good, and we should hopefully see MOAR Shadowrun games too.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
A new concept art:

6eHpiPT.jpg

Aaand here is an "INCREDIBLY WORK-IN-PROGRESS" in-game shot:

oyu1pFE.jpg

And… alright, this is INCREDIBLY WORK-IN-PROGRESS, but I’ll go ahead and show a really rough test of one mood here in the game (please note, everything’ still completely flat-shaded here, no materials are hooked up in the game yet, or localized lighting or effects of any kind. Oh yeah and totally debug UI.)

http://necropolisgame.tumblr.com/post/103239415447/mood-explorations

I like what their artists have going on. Hopefully the gameplay measures up. I'm less enthused about "SELF-AWARE DARK COMEDY" because it's hard to pull off and I feel games like this are better with minimal story. "LIVING ECOLOGY OF THREATS" sounds cool, but also sounds like something that will get cut for budget/time reasons.

polo

Magister
Wow, it looks really good. And i mean the website, not the game, the game is meh at most.

Starwars

Arcane
I'm kinda warming up on the art, that piece looks pretty cool to me. Certainly feels kinda unique. I just hope they can manage to translate it into the engine. If they fail, I think it will be an extremely drab-looking game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Um, I know I may be opening a can of worms here, but nothing in that description says RPG to me. Looks like an action game with power-ups.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
From the look of the screenshot, I suspect that there will be a plenty of *roll*-playing like the greatest modern RPGs such as Dark Souls and The Witcher 2.

himmy

Arcane
Art looks fine to me. Trying to go for realistic graphics with a small budget usually ends up in a bland, not-really-halfway-there sort of thing, a la Dead State. The 2D background in SR were gorgeous and that gave much of the game's appeal. If they have went with the level of 3D that characters had for the background, it would look pretty shit and, by the looks of it, worse than NWN, a game that came out in 2002. Coming up with fresh ideas for graphics and art to meet your budget can be a prime factor for innovation.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Yes.

Let's totally compare screenshots from a 2014 third person action game build so unfinished there are no textures yet to a 2002 overhead RPG. This is going to make a totally compelling discussion.

himmy

Arcane
Yes.

Let's totally compare screenshots from a 2014 third person action game build so unfinished there are no textures yet to a 2002 overhead RPG. This is going to make a totally compelling discussion.

I was talking about Shadowrun Returns.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
More screens from prototype: http://necropolisgame.tumblr.com/post/105365808869/since-we-didnt-post-anything-new-from-the-game

Since we didn’t post anything new from the game last week, here’s a peek at another ROUGH prototype screenshot showing the first of many possible armor sets we’ve implemented for the Blackguard character (in this case, the female version).

tumblr_inline_nghxmvf69H1t2nv1v.png

This new armor set came online last week and it was really cool to see because we dropped it on to our existing rig and it “just worked”, which can be a rare thing in development.

tumblr_inline_nghy6okd7y1t2nv1v.png

Until next time!

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://necropolisgame.tumblr.com/post/105902207302/maybe-that-whole-diabolical-death-trap-dungeon

tumblr_nh07wdsqqH1u0tzcmo1_r1_500.gif

Maybe that whole “diabolical death-trap dungeon” thing was just a big misunderstanding.

:desu:

http://necropolisgame.tumblr.com/post/105997793712/monster-spotlight-grine

Monster Spotlight: Grine

Here’s a quick look at a new enemy type we’ve been working on - the Grine.

tumblr_inline_nh23piqnpz1t2nv1v.png

Dennis had this to say about them in his design doc:

Grine (Monster)
Grines are living reflections; duplicates of Adventurers made of shadow that emerge from Mage Doors — Grine appear as a copy of whatever class the player is. They fight to kill the Adventurer they’re duplicating. If they kill the target, they collapse to a mote of light and rush back into the mirror.

Rig: Normal
Environmental Cues: Grine are magical parasites that infect Mage Doors. This infestation, which turns the Mage Door glowing red, is easily visible; but once the Grine is defeated, the Grine Mirror turns back to a normal Mage Door.
Variations: Grine always match the class of the player, so later, there are Brute and Arcanist Grine as well.

Steven (our VFX artist) sent out this .gif showing the Grine’s cool new dissolve effect earlier this morning, so I figured we’d better share it with you guys as well! The usual work-in-progress caveats apply.

Grine-Death-Dissolve-2.gif

That’s it for today. Thanks for following, and stay tuned to see a lot more of Necropolis in 2015. Happy Holidays!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks good. Fuck the haters. If they have to go with toned down/blocky art but manage to have good mechanics and attack moves then so bei t.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey, LESS T_T, I was just wondering where you'd gone off to. :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom