Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for a futuresque RPG

FuelBlooded

Scholar
If you want more Deus Ex you could perhaps try The Nameless Mod, and then other DX mods.

almondblight

Arcane
Dex looks like an old school beat 'em up. Might check it tough.

It's completely different from a beat 'em up - the combat is somewhat lackluster (at least at the moment), but the real appeal is that it's an open world cyberpunk RPG. So you're free to wander around a big city checking out different shops, restaurants, street docs, drug labs, picking the locks to apartment buildings and stealing what's inside, etc. Some of the people you talk to will have various missions that you can take, and your skills will reflect various ways you can accomplish that (guns, hand to hand combat, stealth, hacking).

But like I said, it's still pretty early (stealth and combat are a bit wonky, hacking isn't in, most of the content and about 1/2 of the areas are missing), so you might want to wait until release.

Oh, and if you do end up getting Shadowrun Returns and/or Dragonfall, be sure to check out some of the user campaigns. I found a number of them to be pretty well done.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Calm down Grimwulf I'm taffing with OP.
Suggesting bad titles is unwritten tradition here. I forgot to add troll smile in spoiler.
Cyberpunk? Not much of them in games (not only RPGs) and movies in general.

[offtopic]

Hey Grimwulf, remember this Fallout/Arcanum killer?

bbBs7vg.jpg

:troll:

[/offtopic]

Unwanted

Xu Fugui

Unwanted
Planet Alcatraz.

Stop trolling OP. And me, for that matter. All russian rpgs should burn in hell.

OP, in case you don't know, THIS is Planet Alcatraz:

bcf37bcabb03b473f51c5e1ac9cbebe3.jpg

How do I cyberpunk?
161808.jpg
:lol:

Wasn't the international release of that completely neutered though? Or am I thinking of another game? It looks like it could be great fun, might have to try it out now and it's all your fault.

Edit, found an old post on the codex about it:
I worked on QA and localization of this game for Potatoland. We did hell lot of a job on it, but it ended up never being released I believe. Or was it sold to some gaming mag after I quit the job? Not sure.

This game suffers from a typical Russian quality. It's bugged to all hell, including game breaking bugs such as infinite dialogue loops. But compared to today's standards of western retail games it's quite and old-school crpg, with tons of customization, dialogues, branching quests and different ways to achieve your goals. Lots of content too. The combat is pretty standard fare RTwP popamole unfortunately, but you get a team to control and some of the encounters are pretty demanding.

The biggest pro of this game and the source of all the charm and fun times we had working on it is the fact that it is funny as all fuck and at the same tame extremely offensive to pretty much everyone and everything. Gays, blacks, trannies, men, women, chinks, animals, doctors, soldiers, nazis. It's also batshit crazy so you get quest like helping Romeo and Juliet, where Romeo and Juliet are two white trash looking homos that are executed by mafia in the end. Most of the game's content ended up as our internal memes, especially Amamba - a nigger who wore only some sneakers and red trunks who you could get as a slave and he would follow you, dancing some stupid dance when you were fighting for your life.

The bad news is that all of the above concerns the version we worked on - which is Potato translation + Russian voice overs. When we got the EN version later it turned out to be atrocious and not nearly as funny. The official EN version also supposedly has tons of content cut.

Last edited:

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
thanks for that old thread I found hilarious LP
http://lparchive.org/Planet-Alcatraz/
no need to play this garbage. Have fun.

Thanks for that. Makes me laugh like a madman.

Edit: I guess I start to understand why some people actually like Planet Alcatraz. English translation and voice acting is beyond hilarious. As if the game wasn't insulting enough, they went even further. So now it's so bad that it's actually good.

Last edited:
There's just absolutely nothing good about Heath. If you are still intent on self-harm, try the sequel Golden Land. It's polished but just too bland.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
There's just absolutely nothing good about Heath. If you are still intent on self-harm, try the sequel Golden Land. It's polished but just too bland.

If there's one thing that kills me in a game is bland/generic.. so much hate. I would rather chew broken glass, and on particularly drunk occasions, I have.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
you can have a look at Mars : War logs. It's not particularly good or bad.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Last edited:

k0syak

Cipher
What's up with the hating on non-translated Planet Alcatraz? It had ridiculously funny writing and atmosphere. Like the sauna scene at the beginning where you had to talk you way out of forced buttlove or the tinfoil dudes.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Offtopic but how do you feel about Проклятые земли?

I hate it, of coz. But to be honest, I never completed it. Because ПЗ was a betrayal.

Previous games of the series, Аллоды and Аллоды 2 were... well... They were actually something I could like. Not perfect, not by any means, and sometimes outright insulting, just like any russian rpg! But they had some soul in them. Something warm and cozy. I'll show you:

Аллоды (Rage of Mages)
allods1.jpg

Аллоды 2 (Rage of Mages 2)
6d57ea68d6582f6391e2a1a964c06eeb.jpg

Проклятые Земли (Evil Islands or some shit, can't remeber exact title)
18f389789a0901cc435deee638cf7b66.jpg

So what did you expect? Of course I hate it. I don't even want to say it, but after actual SUCCESS (what is fucking WRONG with this world?!) of Проклятые Земли, an MMO abomination was born. Аллоды Онлайн.
1849.jpg

And you know what, I blame you. All you curious western people who just can't leave that shit to lay and rot in Oblivion. You make russian rpgs thrive and "evolve", dammit. If it wasn't the case, no one would bother selling them outside the country.

Buying EA games is much less of a crime than buying russian rpgs.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Shadowrun, if you can survive having elves in your future.
...and having your future look like a sunday morning CARTOON NETWORK animation.

Really? You think that's a valid arguement against SRR in general?

With all the other crap in general we get that's the least of my gripes for a game, I'd put up with Bug Bunny if it gave us a good game.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Grimwulf

I heard good things about "Space Rangers 2" (Космические рейнджеры 2: Доминаторы).
It's even has a favorable Codex review:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=126

Does it break the parade of RPG mediocrity?

Also "Precursors" (Предтечи), granted its by a Ukrainian rather then Russian team.
Heard their two previous attempts were "interesting failures" but the third is actually "quite good for what it is"...

Plus what games from the former USSR countries would you say are actually decent?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom