Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Codex Scoop: Brian Fargo has trademarked cancelled time travel RPG Meantime...and also Van Buren?!

Klarion

Arcane
I think the idea of an RPG where you travel through time and recruit famous historical figures to your party is the dumbest RPG idea ever.

Viata

Arcane
It's about how to use that idea. If I have to recruit someone for the sake of "gotta recruit him to help me defeat that guy from the future", so yeah, it's fucking silly. Then again, I can't see how they are going to make this game without being silly.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What the fuck is that?
JQ9OBUr.jpg

garren

Arcane
Patron
I think an inherent weakness of time travel stories is that they can easily be messed up by trying to explain in detail how that shit works, therefore just digging yourself deeper in a hole because you'll end up just introducing more plot holes when people ask "but what about X" or the story being too convoluted for it's own sake. Chrono Trigger did a good job of being a decent game without going all metaphysical on your ass, Bioshock Infinite is an incoherent mess of shooter mechanics and crap plot.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think an inherent weakness of time travel stories is that they can easily be messed up by trying to explain in detail how that shit works, therefore just digging yourself deeper in a hole because you'll end up just introducing more plot holes when people ask "but what about X" or the story being too convoluted for it's own sake. Chrono Trigger did a good job of being a decent game without going all metaphysical on your ass, Bioshock Infinite is an incoherent mess of shooter mechanics and crap plot.
Who says they have to explain how it works? "It works because the plot demands it and because it is awesome. Want a more thorough explanation? Tough shit! Deal with it!:troll:" That's the way they should approach the whole thing,

Darkzone

Arcane
Every f......g fantasy or invented story has plot holes. What is important that this coherence within the world of the story and fantasy, so that the suspension of disbelief is possible for us. Every great sci-fi falls on its feet, if we look if this is possible. Fuck you FTL drive. Fuck you even 0.01% lightspeed. Even Jules Verne is also fucked on many occasions. Don't get me on phasors or lightswords. The only thing that did funktion and the principle was correct and possible was the tablet pc and the computer predicted in many sci-fi films like 'A Space Odyssey', but HAL 9000 is still not possible.

Hmm let me try to show how i would explain the possibility of Time Travel in a imaginery world and story as someone who tries to explain it to person who does not understand this:
While the common perception of a 3d space is that a Einstein-Rosen bridge can only connect two points of space, the String theory indicated since the 80s that there are at least 11 necessary dimensions. This necessary dimensions have been folded into three, by the cooling of the universe, and unfold only in an temperature and pressure which was only present at the inflation state of our universe. While the proof of the concept of the necessary dimensions was alway inherently visible by the quantum entanglement principle, the science avoided any unverifiable statements for this. Also we assumed that the Einstein-Rosen bridge can be only stabilised, due to a dark matter which would contains negative energy, or via a massive singularity. While looking at the gravity as the weakest of the four forces we always neglected the influence of the second strongest fundamental force on the fabric of space and time. The electromagnetism. At 10^15 Tesla we can unfold this dimensions and open up a Einstein-Rosen bridge. This bridge is then connected to a 3d point in space and a point in time for a 0.1 picoseconds, which is enough for the transport a part of the space in time.

Now the only problem is the 10^15 Tesla for 0.1 picoseconds. And that can be explaind via superconductive materials, supercooling with laser and very very very high voltage for this time interval.

Self-Ejected

supervoid

Self-Ejected
Every f......g fantasy or invented story has plot holes. What is important that this coherence within the world of the story and fantasy, so that the suspension of disbelief is possible for us. Every great sci-fi falls on its feet, if we look if this is possible. Fuck you FTL drive. Fuck you even 0.01% lightspeed. Even Jules Verne is also fucked on many occasions. Don't get me on phasors or lightswords. The only thing that did funktion and the principle was correct and possible was the tablet pc and the computer predicted in many sci-fi films like 'A Space Odyssey', but HAL 9000 is still not possible.

Hmm let me try to show how i would explain the possibility of Time Travel in a imaginery world and story as someone who tries to explain it to person who does not understand this:
While the common perception of a 3d space is that a Einstein-Rosen bridge can only connect two points of space, the String theory indicated since the 80s that there are at least 11 necessary dimensions. This necessary dimensions have been folded into three, by the cooling of the universe, and unfold only in an temperature and pressure which was only present at the inflation state of our universe. While the proof of the concept of the necessary dimensions was alway inherently visible by the quantum entanglement principle, the science avoided any unverifiable statements for this. Also we assumed that the Einstein-Rosen bridge can be only stabilised, due to a dark matter which would contains negative energy, or via a massive singularity. While looking at the gravity as the weakest of the four forces we always neglected the influence of the second strongest fundamental force on the fabric of space and time. The electromagnetism. At 10^15 Tesla we can unfold this dimensions and open up a Einstein-Rosen bridge. This bridge is then connected to a 3d point in space and a point in time for a 0.1 picoseconds, which is enough for the transport a part of the space in time.

Now the only problem is the 10^15 Tesla for 0.1 picoseconds. And that can be explaind via superconductive materials, supercooling with laser and very very very high voltage for this time interval.

Bro, but Eistein-Rosen bridges are untraversable, use another type of wormhole. Also no electromagnetism, there are electroweak interactions. And you mistaken dark matter and antimatter.
:troll:

Delterius

Arcane

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think an inherent weakness of time travel stories is that they can easily be messed up by trying to explain in detail how that shit works
Yeah, but this is really true of all science fiction, except the niche hard stuff that Dicksmoker likes. My two favorite examples of over-explanation are midichlorians and the planet Zeist. Any sci-fi can be ruined by trying too hard to appease realists. Fuck the realists. No offense Dicksmoker :)

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I think an inherent weakness of time travel stories is that they can easily be messed up by trying to explain in detail how that shit works
Yeah, but this is really true of all science fiction, except the niche hard stuff that Dicksmoker likes. My two favorite examples of over-explanation are midichlorians and the planet Zeist. Any sci-fi can be ruined by trying too hard to appease realists. Fuck the realists. No offense Dicksmoker :)
I too have a hardon for hard sci-fi, but that doesn't mean that a good fantasy in space that's tiramisu-soft doesn't have its place. The only thing is to know that what you're creating is tiramisu-soft and not even try to explain stuff, unless the explanations are tongue-in-cheek. I think Anachronox is a good example of this. It's ludicrously soft but's also ludicrously fun because, among other things, it doesn't try to explain shit that has no business being explained in the first place anyway. I think that Anachronox would be a good example of the kind of insane shit that could make Meantime work great.

Ninjerk

Arcane

Now do Gundam :happytrollboy:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom