Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bethesda tease us, tease us, tease us 'til we lose control

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Once again: WHY THE FUCK DID THEY BUY THE LICENSE THEN

I think it essentially comes down to them understanding the influence the gaming media has on creating the image that a title is a 'must-have'. To most of the gaming media Fallout is simply an old-school classic RPG, with a somewhat underground following, that was a critical success at the time of its release. They've probably played it once or twice and probably think of FO2 more than the original.
The media's predictable reaction of "OMG it's a new re-imaging of an old skool classic by the people who brought you Oblivion!11!1!!" is essentially what Bethesda paid that $5m for and, depressing as the concept is, I doubt they'll fail to profit from it.

Same thing can be seen with the hype surrounding Bioshock (though at least that has a chance of living up to it).

Greenskin13

Erudite
Johnny got his gun and everybody was happy to be part of it.

SimpleComplexity said:
World War 1 was the greatest and everybody was happy to be part of it

Wait. What?

Maybe I'm speaking as an ugly American, but I'm not sure that WWI was the "fun in the sun" war. As I understand it, WWI was the first truly industrial war, which scared and scarred the crap out of the soldiers who fought in it and turned the generals up on their heads. Also, even though it was called the Great War, WWII seems to be considered more hip by todays youth, considering all the Band of Medals of the Honor of Heroes of Duty and Company games the industry keeps churning out.

Deleted member 7219

SimpleComplexity said:
and thats just like the World Wars, World War 1 was the greatest and everybody was happy to be part of it, World War 2 wasnt so great, but the winners enjoyed it, World War 3 will be imbalanced and dumbed down (uh.. just some stupid button mashing)

I think that is by the far the stupidest and most ignorant comment I have ever read on this forum. You fucking mentalist.

doctor_kaz

Scholar
Hey now, that one is pretty cool. I guess this means that the rumors about the game taking place on the East Coast are correct (?) I still don't like the music though.

Micmu

Magister
Who's willing to bet that they'll hype the product EXACTLY the same way they did Oblivion.
First and most important part of every interview and preview: IT HAS AWARD WINNING BEST SELLING EVER BEST LIAM NEESON GAME KICKS ASS LOL

Seboss

Liturgist
If it ain't broken, don't fix it.
I cannot see a single reason why Pete 'Master of Deception' Hines (funny shit) and his clique should not conduct FO3 hype campaign differently than Oblivion one.

Lumpy

Arcane
"“This role was written with Liam in mind, and provides the dramatic tone for the entire game,” said Todd Howard, Executive Producer of Fallout 3. “Liam is absolutely amazing to work with.”"
Wrote it with Liam in mind? WTF? Celebrity voice actors actually affect game development now?

Hellraiser

Arcane
Lumpy said:
"“This role was written with Liam in mind, and provides the dramatic tone for the entire game,” said Todd Howard, Executive Producer of Fallout 3. “Liam is absolutely amazing to work with.”"
Wrote it with Liam in mind? WTF? Celebrity voice actors actually affect game development now?

The games industry is heading into the same direction as the movie industry is. Yes we are fucked.

Shoelip

Arbiter
"This role was written with Liam in mind"

Why does this sound so familiar? Didn't he say something almost exactly like this about one of the VAs in OB?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
From Captain Picard to Qui-Gon Jinn.

Who's next?

Micmu

Magister
Rocky Balboa?
"“This role was written with Sylvester in mind, and provides the dramatic tone for the entire game,” said Todd Howard.

Re: Johnny got his gun and everybody was happy to be part of

Greenskin13 said:
SimpleComplexity said:
World War 1 was the greatest and everybody was happy to be part of it
Maybe I'm speaking as an ugly American, but I'm not sure that WWI was the "fun in the sun" war. As I understand it, WWI was the first truly industrial war, which scared and scarred the crap out of the soldiers who fought in it and turned the generals up on their heads.

I had this one history book in my school, they showed some trains with loads of happy people, who were sent to the Front to the borders of Germany. And our teacher told us stuff like, "Yeah they all were pretty happy to go there and shoot some shit, because they didn`t knew what awaits them." Maybe i`m just talking about the european viewpoint, but thats what i heard so far. Those funny british tanks were kind of cute.

I think that is by the far the stupidest and most ignorant comment I have ever read on this forum. You fucking mentalist.

Thats why i wrote it.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Now let's learn something new; High School history is mostly bullshit.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Yeah, what really happened is that global warming bombed Pearl Harbor and the government blamed it on the Japs to avoid admitting it existed.

Fez

Erudite
Global failure is a market of the free warming.

taxacaria

Scholar
The Doors - The End said:
This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
Ill never look into your eyes...again

Can you picture what will be
So limitless and free
Desperately in need...of some...strangers hand
In a...desperate land

He walked on down the hall, and
And he came to a door...and he looked inside
Father, yes son, I want to kill you...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom