Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looks like Blizzard is announcing a new game....

Kraken

Scholar
Check out http://www.blizzard.com, looks like they're counting down to announcing a new game. Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2? Or something different?

Texas Red

Whiner
Jesus Christ, not another countdown!!! Cant the fucking developers do a single step without going through the Hype Department first? Omigosh omigosh omigosh you announced the game now instead of 10 days later! The game wont sell now!

Diablo 3 or Starcraft 2? For the PC is :D?

I bet its going to be a Diablo: Spinoff for consoles and PCs where you can pay for addons and seperately the elite subscriptions.

Kraken

Scholar
I'll just post a few thoughts before I'm off to work. Considering the whole Ghost fiasco, I'm thinking this is probably a PC game. Also, again considering Ghost, it's probably pretty close to completion, maybe as close a late 2007.

I've heard rumors about both Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3, so it could be either for what I know. I don't think we'll see a business model with addons to buy and subscriptions etc. Blizzard has a strong tradition of supporting their games for free (They're still activly supporting Starcraft, a 9 year old game, Warcraft 3 is getting lots of support, and Diablo 2 to a lesser extent). Also, I don't think they'll want to tie up an entire team to a single game, since they already have WoW. With Blizzard North leaving, don't they just have 2 teams left now? Or how is it?

tetsuo

Scholar
I bet it will be a new pay to play MMO, WoW was a money-machine and is getting old now,so why should they do something else?

bylam

Funcom
Developer
Of course I'm gonna be an idiot (*ahem* more of) if this turns out to be wrong but I've been given an "insider tip" that it is a Starcraft MMO.

BigWeather

Augur
All the rumors I've seen point to a Starcraft MMO. Kinda disappointing we're not getting Diablo 3 (my first choice, and a 360 version would be even sweeter) or Starcraft 2, but really... Old Blizzard doesn't exist anymore. Many of the employees that made Diablo and other non-WoW franchises are loooong gone.

That said, I *might* play a Starcraft MMO if they included RTS elements or something new to the MMO space. As it is, though, I fully expect them to play it absolutely safe and produce WoW in space, which I couldn't care less about. I'm done with the genre until something very interesting is brought to the table (a dynamic world would be a nice start...).

Suicidal

Arcane
From what I've heard, it's going to be a Starcraft game. Whether it's an MMO or a sequel to SC we'll find out in a week or so. I really hope they make SC 2 and don't screw it up, there have been no interesting RTS games released recently.

world of starcraft is the "rumour" being floated around by various sites. i won't at all be surprised if it turns out to be true, it's pretty much guaranteed to be another mega-success.

yeah, but Warcraft 3 was released before WoW, so they`ll do the same trick again, first Starcraft 2 then World of Starcraft..... :yawn:

Blizzard. Blizzard never changes.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wonder which game company will be the first to have a countdown to the date when they will announce which day they will announce their next product?

denizsi

Arcane
I didn't know that they have just released a new patch for Starcraft as early as April 07. Interesting.

Higher Game

Arcane
Suicidal said:
From what I've heard, it's going to be a Starcraft game. Whether it's an MMO or a sequel to SC we'll find out in a week or so. I really hope they make SC 2 and don't screw it up, there have been no interesting RTS games released recently.

Supreme Commander?

Krafter

Scholar
I'll bet we are looking at Starcraft 2, a RTS for the good 'ol PC.

The fact that they are unveiling it in Korea narrows it down to 2 things, IMHO : Starcraft 2 the RTS or Starcraft the MMO. I would think that they would rather crank out yearly expansions for World of Warcraft than to compete with itself by making another full MMO game.

If they go RTS, I would love to see a 2D game, but we know that's not going to happen.

BigWeather

Augur
Higher Game said:
Suicidal said:

Supreme Commander?

Also _Company of Heroes_.

Surgey

Scholar
Their new game is actually going to be Diablo 3, which takes place in the year 20XX where you combat the spawn of Cyberdiablo and his minions from HellTech. Play as one of 6 classes, such as the melee-centric Street Paladin or the Nanobarbarian or the mages such as the Cybersorceress or Technomancer, or the more unique classes like the Urban Druid or Mechamazon.

...Nah. My money is on World of Starcraft.

Zomg

Arbiter
The most venal, tasteless option would be World of Starcraft, so yeah, World of Starcraft.

dagorkan

Arbiter
What the fuck would you do in World of Starcraft? I don't see any LARP potential in it whatsoever. Very strange...

made

Arcane
As someone mentioned, releasing another MMO while WoW is still going strong would only hurt themselves. Anyway, whatever it is, it's a safe bet that it won't be an RPG...

As long as it's not Like "Battle for Middle Earth". LOTR's isn't a strategy game, it's like tic tac toe and rock paper scissors.

Zomg

Arbiter
They're just so gorged on MMO money that I can't imagine they'd bend over to pick up the metaphorical dime of another Roguelike Diablo or RTS Starcraft, both of which are relatively worthless PC genres. Plus you're taking the risk of losing the strange Blizzard = AAAA quality brand capital they've inexplicably built up in morons over the years.

When a company is still patching a 10 year old game, the reputation for quality is somewhat deserved. You're lucky to get a second patch after the first fixes 65% of the show stoppers from most shovelware developers out there.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom