Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looks like Blizzard is announcing a new game....

Callaxes

Arbiter
What's Diablo3 going to be about? You killed the 3 prime evils, but you found out that Diablo had a twin brother and he's even bigger and badder then the other 3, right?

Seriously there's no plausible storyline that can continue the series without screwing it up. I'd rather vote they make a new franchise which uses the same recipe that Diablo does.

Starcraft deserves a sequel

Warcraft is DEAD. There's nothing more to chew one, the original theme is gone now and the last 2 games don't have anything to do with what the series originaly ment.

A new franchise that uses Warcraft's ideas would be great. Besides, every single attempt Blizzard had at making a new franchise was a pure succes. I realy want something new from them.

Kraken

Scholar
Callaxes said:
What's Diablo3 going to be about? You killed the 3 prime evils, but you found out that Diablo had a twin brother and he's even bigger and badder then the other 3, right?

Seriously there's no plausible storyline that can continue the series without screwing it up. I'd rather vote they make a new franchise which uses the same recipe that Diablo does.

Starcraft deserves a sequel

Warcraft is DEAD. There's nothing more to chew one, the original theme is gone now and the last 2 games don't have anything to do with what the series originaly ment.

A new franchise that uses Warcraft's ideas would be great. Besides, every single attempt Blizzard had at making a new franchise was a pure succes. I realy want something new from them.
Do you remember the ending on Lord of Destruction? Tyrael destroys the Worldstone, and nobody knows what the consequences will be. They could make almost any story they want, anything would fit in. If they are doing the announcement in Korea, that strongly suggests an RTS, most likely a Starcraft since it's so big over there.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out, Starcraft 2 would be amazing news, and I wouldn't mind another Diablo either.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Seeing what it's turned into, I can't believe I was a big fan of Warcraft2 back in the day.

xemous

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
I've said it before, I don't want them to fuck up Starcraft. Let them do something else. Warcraft 3 was a dumb game.

Starcraft can't be fucked up it's already released. I wouldn't mind a sequel it had a nice story, but it was a kid then and maybe now the story's homosexual - who knows I'm not playing the single player again.

I want Diablo 3.

Nedrah

Erudite
Warcraft 4 would actually be awesome, so would SC2 be.
I never got the appeal of Diablo2, WoW sucks anyway.
Rumors are everywhere. Great Hype.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I don't agree about Warcraft 4 either. I don't like the entire Warcraft setting. Saying it is the epitome of triteness (trititude? ;))would be an understatement. Something I've posted a couple times is the ingenious way Blizzard comes up with fantasy races (Cow people, rat people, bear people, snake people, lizard people, pig people, wolf people, dog people, fish people, crab people, spider people, beetle people, tree people, plus, as a bonus, three elf subraces and counting). They even have a made up space language for their elf chicks. Warcraft includes all of the ideas that I hate about modern fantasy.

What is Blizzard going to do when they run out of animals to furry-ize?

xemous

Arcane
Just checked the starcraft patch logs, heaps of new changes.

What would be sweet is a `play ladder game` feature that automagically sets up a game with someone else of an equal score without some stupid fucking korean going `no map no map ^^ ^^ ^^' *cho_li_23 leaves game*

kingcomrade said:
Diablo 3? Why? D2 was boring, so is WoW.

Warcraft III was boring, as was Diablo II. WoW IS NOT boring at all however, as it kept me occupied for an entire year before I had experienced everything the game had to offer.

xemous

Arcane
WoW is a nice game. I'm starting two new characters, Helgi - dwarf priest and Agnarr dwarf warrior.

dagorkan

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
I don't agree about Warcraft 4 either. I don't like the entire Warcraft setting. Saying it is the epitome of triteness (trititude? ;))would be an understatement. Something I've posted a couple times is the ingenious way Blizzard comes up with fantasy races (Cow people, rat people, bear people, snake people, lizard people, pig people, wolf people, dog people, fish people, crab people, spider people, beetle people, tree people, plus, as a bonus, three elf subraces and counting). They even have a made up space language for their elf chicks. Warcraft includes all of the ideas that I hate about modern fantasy.

What is Blizzard going to do when they run out of animals to furry-ize?

Warcraft 1 & 2 wasn't really like that. The background was different, it had a real dark but original streak to it. I just read a forum discussion about the differences between the Diablo 'universe' and Warcraft where people were saying Diablo has more historical and religious references and atmosphere. I think what happened was that some of the atmosphere of the early Warcrafts was transferred to Diablo and totally rewrote the Warcraft setting (after Warcraft 2) to reach the widest possible audience.

Araanor

Liturgist
"World of Starcraft" would be pretty farfetched, but I could see them doing some sort of MMORTS. I wonder how many of the original *craft devs are still there.

I'm reminded of the development of Warcraft 3. It started out as some kind of RPG RTS, then they found that the concepts didn't work out all that well and backpeddaled into comfy RTS territory. I get the feeling they were not quite satisfied with how WC3 turned out.

denizsi

Arcane
I just looked at trademark registrations again. Here are some of the "live" trademarks owned by Blizzard:

First we have a "Blackthorne" entry, wihch is originally an old arcade game by Blizzard

The filing date for the name, however, is December 30, 2004; and it has just been "published for opposition" April 17, 2007. Reviving an old game in hope to make a big IP out of it perhaps? nah..

Then there is a Diablo entry, filing date December 9, 2005; published for opposition February 13, 2007; quite recent, though that might just be a renewal of the pre-existing registration, but interestingly, 2 prior Diablo registrations are also still alive. Usually when a new registration is filed to renew a trademark, the previous ones become dead. Additionally, almost all past trademarks have a "first use in commerce" comment, followed by the date of release/publishing, as well as the other 2 Diablo registrations, but not this one.

There are also several live StarCraft registrations but none has a publishing date newer than 2004, and a live StarCraft: Ghost registration that has been filed at 2002 and published f.o. 2003.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Blackthorne was a good game but I really can't see them resurrecting it.

Kraken

Scholar
Blackthorne was a platformer, which are almost non-existant for pc's at least. Unless they decide to make it into some crappy third/first person action game, I don't see another Blackthorne game coming.

Edit: And Blackthorne isn't even on the countdown list, and neither are The Lost Vikings or that racing game.

hicksman

Liturgist
I have blackthorne installed on my comp. Its ok, but wasn't really all that good even for its time.

that said, everything that blizzard has done in recent years has been top notch, imo. They stick with what they know and they do it very well.

I wont be counting down with them, but i'm sure whatever they announce i'll hear it on digg or here or somewhere in between shortly thereafter.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Callaxes said:

Seriously there's no plausible storyline that can continue the series without screwing it up. I'd rather vote they make a new franchise which uses the same recipe that Diablo does..

Really? I think there's a lot of ways they could go with the story. For instance, Tyrael turned all evil on you, made up some silly excuse to destroy the worldstone (thus fucking up all sorts of stuff) and then sending you into a convenient red portal that actually kills you.

As for the announcement, its either World of Starcraft or Starcraft 2. I remember seeing a poll in the Blizzard website that said "Would you play a World of Starcraft" or something along those lines.

Suicidal

Arcane
Higher Game said:
Suicidal said:
From what I've heard, it's going to be a Starcraft game. Whether it's an MMO or a sequel to SC we'll find out in a week or so. I really hope they make SC 2 and don't screw it up, there have been no interesting RTS games released recently.

Supreme Commander?

Supreme Commander is a pretty good game, but I found it to be far less enjoyable and interesting than Starcraft. One of the primary reasons SC is one of the best RTS games (for me atleast) is that the 3 playable races are completely different from one another and each require a different approach and tactics to play them correctly.

Both Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander, which is basicly TA's "spiritual successor", fail here, since all of the 2(3 in supcom) races are almost the same, only the units are slightly different.

BigWeather said:
Also _Company of Heroes_.

I've never played this, but I'm guessing it is simillar to Warhammer 40k Dawn of War from what I've heard.

I don't really like RTSes with small amount of base building and resource gathering that focus primarily on combat instead of actually building your army the way it pleases you and then swarming the battlefield.

I downloaded the CoH demo recently, I'll have to try it to see what's so great about this game and why is it getting praised so much.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingston said:
As for the announcement, its either World of Starcraft or Starcraft 2. I remember seeing a poll in the Blizzard website that said "Would you play a World of Starcraft" or something along those lines.

WoS? When WoW is still so popular and just got an expansion? Making competition against themselves? I don't think so. Maybe later. But first I suppose there'll be a Star Craft strategy game. Maybe even single player RPG. Or whatever. But no MMO, not while WoW is still up and running.

Solohk

Scholar
I wouldn't be surprised if it was World of Starcraft. Sure, they're not going to want to compete with WoW. However, an MMO announced today won't be out for another 2 - 3 years, and since we're talking Blizzard here, it will probably be even longer than that.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's either Starcraft 2 or nothing. Fuck Diablo, fuck Warcraft, and fuck MMORPGs.

hicksman

Liturgist
I'm pretty sure they said that it wasnt going to be an MMO, so i would be WOS is out.

My bet is Diablo 3. They've been working on it for a while, should be something new and interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom