Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PSP Dungeons & Dragons Tactics developer interview

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
GB: Along with all of the core Dungeons & Dragons classes, you're also implementing two psionic characters - the Psion and the Psychic Warrior. What are these two new character classes capable of? What advantages and disadvantages do they have when compared to the core classes?

Lawrence: Psionic powers are somewhat different to magic, in that the psionic character can augment their powers and therefore choose how powerful the effect will be. The Psion is very much the psionic equivalent of the Wizard or Sorcerer, in that they are focused primarily on their powers rather than physical combat. The Psychic Warrior is an all-around Fighter-like class with powers.

GB: What role does alignment play in Dungeons & Dragons Tactics? What differences would players notice when using a team of good characters as opposed to a team of evil characters?

Lawrence: Alignment will very much affect the story, and the path you take will depend on your actions. There is a ‘good’ path and an ‘evil’ path, and some of your choices, particularly of the side-quests, will affect the outcome.

You know there's something wrong when a developer working on a D&D title for a portable console is trying to implement more D&D and RPGish aspects than PC developers who've worked with the license for some time.

trystero

Novice
Yah...

I shamefully just bought a PSP with this title being one of the primary reasons. I can only hope it lives up to expectations. If it is similar to TOEE's combat, I'll be pretty happy.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
If it does turn out to be similar to TOEE, that's going to be the second title which would have me buy a PSP. Although at this point there's not a whole lot of moneis to go around and two games don't really justify getting the system even with its recent price drop - especially when I have other systems to 'feed'.

trystero

Novice
Hmm...

What's the other title RP? Now that I have one, maybe there is something else I should pick up.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
It's Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. It's basically a port of the ridiculously overpriced Castlevania: Symphony of the Night for PSX with a couple of tweaks, plus a port of the nowhere to be found Dracula X: Rondo of Blood for PC Engine and a 2.5D remake of said port.

Though truth be told, the Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops game isn't too shabby so that could be an additional title to look into. And if you're into God of War, the PSP is going to get a version as well.

trystero

Novice
Ah...

Heh, I haven't played a Castlevania game since the original on the NES in '87. Man I sucked at that game :)

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
There is always the possibility of bringing the game to other platforms after the initial launch, especially if the game is successful.

I can't really see there being much to lose by bringing this out on the PC. It certainly doesn't look too shabby (quite the opposite infact) and, though the suits might considor it a niche market, I am sure there are enough potential customers out there.
:preys:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Im looking forward to it - hopfully its as good as ToEE."

It surley can't be any worse. L0L

Anyways, Tatics looks great. Only 100 feats? That seems a rather small number. Psionics will be cool. I hope it gets ported as I'm going to withold buying a PSP for as long as I can; but it'll be harder to do that if it gets really good reviews.

Huh...Psionics never really seemed too combat-oriented to me. I'm going to be the old fogey in this thread and say Psionics are pretty much going to be just like magic but a different flavor, like cleric spells to mage spells. I mean they aren't going to throw in stuff like Id Insinuation or Suggestions, and it's all going to be about Disintegrate, Detonate, and Ultrablast so pretty much just magic but a different flavor.

DOS-fanboy

Novice
Back when I still cared to post there, I would hang out in the GameFAQS board devoted to this game. Stopped going there around last summer, when all of a sudden a bunch of kids came in screaming "IS THIS LIKE FF TACTICS?"

It's a shame that they have to put "Tactics" at the end of the game's title. It's as if they are apologizing for it being a turn-based, grid-based game.

Still, from the few pictures I've seen, and the video on Gamespot, it looks like it'll be a keeper. I bought a PSP when it came out, primarily for Legend of Heroes (Loved the one for the TG-16, DL'ed a few of the Japanese ones) but it looks like I might actually play the damn thing thanks to D&D Tactics.

D&D Tactics...That's like saying "Cold Ice", "Hot Fire", or "Old Bingo players"

I guess that means D&D is suppose to be more akin to what we saw in Dark alliance and Demon Stone?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DOS-fanboy said:
Back when I still cared to post there, I would hang out in the GameFAQS board devoted to this game. Stopped going there around last summer, when all of a sudden a bunch of kids came in screaming "IS THIS LIKE FF TACTICS?"

It's a shame that they have to put "Tactics" at the end of the game's title. It's as if they are apologizing for it being a turn-based, grid-based game.

I'm sure they purposely put the word "tactics" in the title to get the attention of people who liked Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre.

I admit to being guilty of it…

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom