Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Spiral

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Uh oh. See, we don't actually know that he didn't do it. Something could have changed and Mori could be the traitor this time.
AB

And, yes, we have officially made ourselves a murder suspect for nothing as they split up anyway. Hopefully some good will come of this. Bros gotta listen to me more often. <lemming.gif>

Kayerts

Arcane
Ooh, looks like we're going another night without talking to Sakaki!

AB

1A because I'm really hoping that the payoff to all our internal monologuing about combat expertise is that, in the pivotal moment of this night, we try to hit one of the deaders with our Wuxiang Qiankun-enhanced palm techniques, trip over our own feet incompetently, and are promptly whisked away to see the tea-drinking gentleman again.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Track: grave

It begins with the tolling of a bell.

Soft and distant, it echoes towards you like a wave, growing and stretching until it sounds like the guttural groaning of some great beast, and then receding before repeating the cycle all over again. A faint chant, reminiscent of those one might hear in ancient rituals, winds its way through the monotonous sound.

Your brow furrows; you look around you, confused.

Mori does not seem to have heard anything: his eyes are focused ahead of him. Neither have Tokigawa or Okuyama. Or Maeda, or Taketatsu. Or Sakimura.

Uehara’s face is paler than usual. A drop of sweat runs down her cheek. Her eyes dart from side to side, and she catches you looking at her. “What’s the matter, Shinoseki-san?” she says, without any of her usual conviction.

“D-Do you… hear something?” you whisper.

“I have no idea what you are talking about,” Uehara replies hastily, the uncharacteristic frown on her face betraying her distraction. She mutters something under her breath; you cannot quite make out the words.

“Is there something wrong, Shinoseki?” asks Mori suddenly.

You almost jump out of your skin, startled by his question. “O-Of course not… nothing is wrong, I think.”

“Really?” Mori seems unconvinced.

Then, just as suddenly as it began, the chant stops, leaving only a headache-inducing ringing bouncing in your skull.

Track: predator

The lights flicker.

Okuyama shrieks.

The atmosphere in the room dissolves into chaos.

Before you, the cooling corpse of Dr. Usui has seemingly come back to life. The former doctor lets out a high-pitched whine, expelling whatever air remaining in his lungs, as his fingers close around Tokigawa’s calf.

“Wh… What the hell is going on?” screams the trainee doctor as Okuyama tries to pull him away.

Mori rushes in quickly. Drawing his leg back, he lets out a shout and throws a powerful kick at Dr. Usui’s head. You hear a soft thud as the corpse’s head is thrown limply to the side by the impact, but that does not seem to stop it. It begins crawling up Tokigawa in a disjointed manner, moving like a broken puppet while using its grip on Tokigawa as leverage to draw itself upwards. There is a disconcerting, hissing noise from between its clenched, bloody teeth; the muscles that control its dull, fish-like eyes are spasming and have rolled off to the sides, making the corpse look like it is staring in two different directions at once.

You breathe in deeply, trying to take in the scene before you. The noise in your ears becomes muffled, as if you are underwater, and you focus.

Tokigawa is currently under assault by the corpse, while Okuyama is trying to pry him away.

Mori is attacking the corpse.

Maeda and Taketatsu are still rooted to the spot in shock and fear.

Sakimura is rushing forward to assist Mori.

Uehara is backing towards the door, her eyes wide with surprise.

01:35

A. You help to get Dr. Usui’s corpse off of Tokigawa by:
1. grabbing its body from behind and pulling with all your might.
2. helping to pry its fingers off of him.
3. stabbing it in the ear with the thermometer, and then the flashlight if that is insufficient.
4. choking it with the stethoscope.
5. twisting and breaking its neck with your bare hands.

B. You take advantage of the chaos to steal Mori’s gun and:
1. hide the fact that you took it.
2. brandish it in order to threaten them.
3. run out of the room after taking it.
4. shoot the corpse in the head.

C. You can’t help but scream for help as loud as you can. Maybe there might be help from an unexpected source?

D. You stay quiet and stand where you are, doing nothing but watch. This is not your battle to fight.

E. You take the chance and run out of the room to reclaim your freedom.
1. You tell everyone to run while you are at it.
2. You grab Uehara's hand - she seems ready to flee anyway - and take her with you.
3. Screw them, they're on their own.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's... an interesting choice.

Normally I would go B4 as I would not want to touch or even get near the corpse, but this will raise questions we might not really want to answer. Such as, where did we learn to shoot. And you don't really steal arms from other people and expect them to say nothing about it.

Still, a lucky shot isn't outside the realms of possibility, and the gun isn't ours, so there is that. It is still not enough to get us 'convicted'.

Choking a corpse is useless, and using your bare hands is just stupid.

Taking the gun might sound like a good idea at first, but Mori will notice it is missing right away and if they search us at his behest later and find it on us (as he strongly suspects us in everything shady that is going on, I eagerly await his attempt to pin this necromancy on us)... with Tokigawa's admission that he can't determine the caliber of the bullets that killed Dr. Usui we are practically admitting his murder.

I think I am more interested in Uehara's route and that amulet that our enemy seeks. It seems it may thwart their plans. As for the rest, I am of Rex Feral's school of thought. Screw this bunch of lemmings with a death wish.

E2.

I also find it strange that she is able to hear the same thing as we do. I wonder what exactly is a connection between us.

Last edited:

Baltika9

Arcane
B4>A3.
This is a good opportunity to check how effective firearms are against these things.

Baltika9

Arcane
Taking the gun might sound like a good idea at first, but Mori will notice it is missing right away and if they search us at his behest later and find it on us (as he strongly suspects us in everything shady that is going on, I eagerly await his attempt to pin this necromancy on us)... with Tokigawa's admission that he can't determine the caliber of the bullets that killed Dr. Usui we are practically admit his murder.
Not if we use it now.

Nevill

Arcane
Not if we use it now.
You mean, compare the hole from a headshot with the existing ones? That might work.

But what if it fits?

I am not really complaining if this choice wins, but I would expect everyone to freak out - 'OMG, HE HAS A GUN!!' - and we might botch our explanation again. The one who can calm them down and explain what happened is the gun's owner, Mori, and I would not count on his cooperation.

Though I, too, wonder what it takes to stop a moving corpse.

Baltika9

Arcane
Running didn't help last time, direct physical contact is a big no and melee weapons work (mop-fu seems particularly effective). Firearms are the only thing we haven't tried yet, and that's definitely something we should know for the future.
Yes, there are risk, but I think the others will be more concerned with the living dead and maybe we can point out Mori's empty gun holster.

Nevill

Arcane
Running didn't help last time
Really? What are you referring to?

I see a clear distinction between the ghosts you can 'safely' engage, and the ones you can't. The Witch and the pool ghost are in the latter category. I wouldn't even try firearms on them.

direct physical contact is a big no and melee weapons work (mop-fu seems particularly effective).
I am unsure of why did it work. Certainly not because we broke the neck of a man that was already dead.

He just... disappeared.

That makes me wonder if there is a point in attacking these things at all. Maybe they are affected by something other than weapons?

Did you notice that almost every time the ghosts backed down it was someone else getting involved? Amanozaki's corpse returned to being dead when Mori entered the room. The director vanished after our intervention. The pool ghost released Shiba when we dived after her, and it released us when Sakimura pulled us out of the water.

We really should have talked to Sakaki. Maybe we still could.

Baltika9

Arcane
Let's focus on getting through this mess first. I don't know if these things are stoppable by normal means, which is why I want to test the gun in the first place, but we won't be getting answers to those questions if we dip out now (naturally, we'll trade one opportunity for another).

GreyViper

Prophet
A3 and by the way should we go for the corpse in the locker again? Im curious if burning it with salt would benefit us.

Tigranes

Arcane
What is it with our voting?

A3 won't do shit. This guy took a solid kick to the head. He's resistant to physical damage, and he very likely won't be relying on any particular organ to function. I don't see how A3's shove shit in ear helps any more than trying to choke him. Seriously, what do you expect? Thermometer pushes the self destruct button under his eardrum? You'll just be a hopeless meddler. The one real use A3 would have is that, when someone dispatches the zombie, or some of us get away, we will at least be on record as having helped.

B4 might fuck it up, or fuck us up. B4 is the only option we can have a reasonable expectation of working. If he's resistant to a gunshot in the head then he's probably resistant to every other option we have readily available, except supernatural ones. The problem is, we had a fairly clear shot the last time we shot someone. We see several people going at the zombie now, and one dude entangled with him. Can we whip out the gun from someone else's pocket and do him in? I think our chances of shooting someone else is rather high.

E2 could be reasonable, but don't just vote for pussy. What's the plan? We wnated to keep everyone together, and yeah, that's going to hell, but why Uehara? Mori is a good person to be around because we know he knows things, and he's armed - and the maid said, arm yourself. Amanozaki again is 'armed' and knows things. Uehara does too, but are we going to be able to find the necklace on our own? Does Uehara know enough to find it yet (if their memories aren't retained like ours are)?

If we're gonna go for it and be the team guy, it's B4. If not, OK, E2 can work. Pick and roll.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

ffs, don't vote B4. If Mori's gun is to be used on the corpse, he must be the one to do it. He'd be pissed ootherwise and itwould reveal that we know how to shoot a gun - possibly continuing the retarded murder suspicions. I do think we should take his gun, if we are able and then run.
Did you notice that almost every time the ghosts backed down it was someone else getting involved? Amanozaki's corpse returned to being dead when Mori entered the room. The director vanished after our intervention. The pool ghost released Shiba when we dived after her, and it released us when Sakimura pulled us out of the water.
And yet, Mori's kick did nothing.
don't just vote for pussy.
Hahaha. Wait...you're serious, aren't you?

Anyway, the maid told us to arm ourselves and now seems as good a time is any.
B3>E2>A3>A4

I wonder if mercury - or whatever is in japanese thermometers will burn it like the salt did?

edit: btw, who wants to bet that all the corpses outside woke up too? Now might be our only chance to escape.

Nevill

Arcane
Seriously, what do you expect? Thermometer pushes the self destruct button under his eardrum? You'll just be a hopeless meddler. The one real use A3 would have is that, when someone dispatches the zombie, or some of us get away, we will at least be on record as having helped.
That's not a small thing, actually.

But then again, what do you mean, 'when someone dispatches the zombie', if it is resistant to physical damage? How do you propose they do that?

One of my theories is that these things may be stopped by whatever you believe would stop them. After all, isn't it belief that gives all that spiritual mumbo-jumbo power over supernatural? I don't see why any physical action would otherwise stop a man that is already dead and thus should not be moving in the first place.

What I mean is that the shot to the head might work just because we unconsciously think 'that would kill anyone'. I see no rational way to explain it.

If that's how it works, then A3 might do as well.

B4 is the only option we can have a reasonable expectation of working. If he's resistant to a gunshot in the head then he's probably resistant to every other option we have readily available, except supernatural ones. The problem is, we had a fairly clear shot the last time we shot someone. We see several people going at the zombie now, and one dude entangled with him. Can we whip out the gun from someone else's pocket and do him in? I think our chances of shooting someone else is rather high.
We take a risk with B4, and a rather high one, yes. Though I still think it lies elsewhere, in what happens after we kill a zombie, not in shooting someone else. Taketatsu wasn't exactly standing still when we shot him, too, and we nailed him in the eye. That's marksmanship skills right there.

Unless we were just lucky. :troll:

Lambchop19 said:
ffs, don't vote B4. If Mori's gun is to be used on the corpse, he must be the one to do it. He'd be pissed ootherwise and itwould reveal that we know how to shoot a gun - possibly continuing the retarded murder suspicions. I do think we should take his gun, if we are able and then run.
That would ban us from rejoining our group at least while Mori is alive and if he ever catches us - which he might - we doom ourselves. It's just another risk.

The end of the night is 23 hours away, and we will have to survive until then. Do you think we can do it alone?

If you think all the corpses woke up (which might be true, but we have only seen the ghosts active on a per room basis, at least until the Witch joins the fun), do you think 6 bullets will carry you through the night? If there is something massive like that, we might need to request aid from supernatural sources, which means Amanozaki and Uehara.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Tigranes said:
We wnated to keep everyone together, and yeah, that's going to hell, but why Uehara? Mori is a good person to be around because we know he knows things, and he's armed - and the maid said, arm yourself.
Uehara or, say, Amanozaki are much more likely to work together with us than Mori will ever be.

The man wants to put us in an uncomfortable position to prove some of his pet theories about us. They might even be true.

He is always the first to suspect us in something underhanded, and he is the one who is already speaking in terms of 'proving our guilt'. It would take something XTREME to get him on our side.

With Uehara we can have a working relationship straight away.

Lambchop19 said:
I wonder if mercury - or whatever is in japanese thermometers will burn it like the salt did?
In the western alchemical tradition mercury, sulfur and salt represent the spirit, the soul and the body respectively.

Within the human body, Mercury is the spirit, or the animating life force. Whereas Sulfur is the soul, or the consciousness of the individual, Mercury is the life force that moves through the soul and gives it life. As the mediator, it is the vehicle that brings the soul down into the physical world.
So... yeah. It just might affect it. One more reason to go with A3.

Though one might wonder if the western occultism even applies to eastern spirits.

But who am I kidding? Most A3 votes are probably related to this:
ZYtlFq8.jpg
:desu:

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Anyway, the maid told us to arm ourselves and now seems as good a time is any.
B3>E2>A3>A4

edit: btw, who wants to bet that all the corpses outside woke up too? Now might be our only chance to escape.
That is a good point, mercury is one form of silver so to speak and if salt worked why not that. :greatjob:
This time it looks like its going with Night of The Living dead route, so better weapons are needed, so where is the closest workbench.:D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom