Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rebel Galaxy by Double Damage Games (Travis Baldree/Erich Schafer)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Couldn't find a thread and just stumbled on to this myself. Sometime last year Travis Baldree and Erich Schafer left Runic (Torchlight series) and founded their own studio. In October they announced Rebel Galaxy, something that looks like a Freelancer type game. Be warned, it's multiplatform.

Movies, screenshots, details here: http://rebel-galaxy.com/media-2/

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah, it looks kind of derpy but prior to STAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR CITIZEN(!!!!!!) and the new Elite there weren't that many recent games in this genre. Hopefully it doesn't totally suck.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it looks like a poor man's mandate or slightly better starpoint gemini 2.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Platform doesn't mean as much as it used to, it's often all the same hardware inside now.
depends on the platforms... still, this being developed for consoles as well is a rather strong indicator that the controls will be shit and that the gameplay simplistic.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
:necro:

A few months ago they started giving out preview copies, here's part of a Let's Play. Console controls....

I was hoping for a bit more from this but sadly it looks like it'll be as generic as Darkstar One and similar games.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
A bit consolified Space Rangers 2 but still looks quite nice with Firefly vibes

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Not going to get them for this game. I followed it early... seemed promising... but the more that's shown the more it looks like a shitty console space shooter. Hell, you don't even fight in cockpit view.

Thane Solus

Arcane
looks good, simple but fun, saw the console buttons ui, exit browser, delete history, purge the unclean.

GG!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Currently the #1 seller on Steam. Also available on GoG if you simply must support the creation of more Witcher games.

$18 price for the first week.

Naraya

Arcane
Watched a few streams, looks pretty boring. Also - why every game of this type (apart from the classics like Privateer, Freelancer, Starlancer) allows you to buy motherfuckin flying fortress that vaporizes everything in sight? Is this the counterpart of "teh awesome button"? I really liked the way classic games I mentioned approached the "power creep".

Anyway - passing on this one.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I bought the game and asked for a refund before my 2 hours was done. I just had the weirdest epiphany in a long time. This game was perfect in all the ways I had wished a game like this to be in a long time. I wanted an open world space game like this, it did pretty much everything I wanted it to do (and what Starpoint Gemini 2 utterly failed to do). But, when I got Rebel Galaxy and was playing it, it finally dawned on me. These games are so goddamn boring. I don't want to mine asteroids for hours upon hours to finally afford a ship that doesn't suck ass. I don't actually like missions that are all exactly like this: Set coordinate, warp to location, kill / collect / scan target, return to base. It is mind numbingly boring. I'll just take the space dogfighters from now on.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
For a sec... I thought this thread is about this game...
zpkd1wx.jpg

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Played it a bit. Will poke around more but considering a refund. Not wild about the broadside/turret combat. Everything else is fine and about what you'd expect from a $20 space trading/pirate/merc/whatever sim.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, it came out yesterday. Apparently it's bangin'.

Went ahead and blind-purchased it. Not sure why, heh. Hope it'll be nice!

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rebel-galaxy.103829/

Could use a thread merge since pakoito went rogue and posted a thread on GG.

Anyway, I've played for a little over an hour... the game is fairly polished it's just that I really can't get into the 2D style of combat. You're essentially a floating weapon platform that can't take evasive action other than powering up your shield (you hold a button for that although it has a limited amount) and position yourself for broadside/strafing. It's... odd. And somewhat non-interactive compared to a traditional space sim.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bland. The atmosphere and soundtrack is nice. The space stations and guilds competently done. There's a decent amount of ships (20 or so), weapons, and upgrades you can buy. A bit of C&C in terms of faction reputation and such.

It is, however, very much designed for consoles. It plays fine with M+K, though.

I'm sure if I kept playing it might grow on me but I'd rather refund it while I'm under two hours than take the risk. Certainly something I'd grab at 50-75% off. If you think you'd enjoy the 2D combat then it's a good deal for $18.

The content will not disappoint you. The combat, however, might.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom