Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looks like Blizzard is announcing a new game....

Kortalh

Liturgist
Any news yet on the rumored "Kerrigan" fourth race?

Doesn't seem to be anything in any of the screenshots so far.

Wow, that gameplay vid looks awesome... I love the spotlights shining down onto battle. Kinda has a Post-Apocalypse Terminator vibe to it.

Globbi

Augur
Faces on the interface suck, they could've been 2d and nice instead of ugly 3d cartoony. And Terran vehicles are ridiculus indeed, not only the tanks but cruisers and I suppose the rest is in the same style.

But the gampley video is great. Such masses of creatures... sweet

Pegultagol

Erudite
I think that the seasoned SC players will be able to play the sequel with near zero learning curve. It seems that everything was kept intact save for some WC III features such as aforementioned special abilities and of course the graphics. Graphics looks better when set into motion, and I guess it attains the level of charm in the toy-like constructs. I wonder what new, unannounced features are planned; and it seems there has been quite a significant progress into the development already. Release maybe in about a year?

Kraken

Scholar
I was always hoping that whenever they made Starcraft 2, they'd stick to 3 races. I think WC3 has proved that balancing four races is almost impossible. Of course WC3 had heroes to think of as well, but still.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Fuck, it looks cartoony and clean. And the music is so epic my ears hurt. And did you guys notice and elven chick in the cinematics trailer? I think I did. And I hate the "every unit has a special ability" mentality. But the protoss abilities seem good, and the setting more or less the same.

Dagon

Scholar
You guys are just bitchin', really...
It looks exactly like Starcraft 1 did, but in 3D, and SC1 also looked cartoony.

It seems to be very good sequel

SlavemasterT

Arcane
KreideBein said:
I must say, the siege tanks look utterly ridiculous. Also, I would have preferred a more gritty and dark look to the game; things just don't quite look "right" at the moment.
Yeah, the siege tanks in particular kind of strike me as a kiddie, Fisher-Price cartoony rendition. The Protoss buildings look beautiful, though, and the aerial units seem to have been improved on as well. In general, it looks like they went in the same direction with it as they did with WC3, which is worrying. It reminds me of when I finally had to upgrade from Win98 to XP, with all of the vibrant colors and rounded edges and other fancy crap, which I nerfed as soon as I was able to figure out how.

Kraken said:
I was always hoping that whenever they made Starcraft 2, they'd stick to 3 races. I think WC3 has proved that balancing four races is almost impossible. Of course WC3 had heroes to think of as well, but still.

They will stick to 3 races. Just read the website :roll:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Fez said:
Similar art/visual direction to Warcraft 3, I'd say.

I'm not complaining. War3 was one of the few 3d RTS that managed to capture the look of a 2d game. The screen was so busy you could even see fishes swimming in pool of waters. This game seems to be trying to do the same...

ricolikesrice

Arcane
pfff, relic bring on DoW 2 and i ll get excited....

that beein said i ll prolly get it just for the SP campaign..... but then again thats what i said about CnC 3 too and still didnt get it =/ but luckily for blizzard there s plenty enough morons out there to fill their pockets.

but one thing i ll give them, they prove again and again games with non-next-gen graphics can still sell well..... i wish some other companies would copy that aspect over and start worrying more about gameplay .

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
ricolikesrice said:

Yeah because DoW was so much better then Starcraft. I hate fanboys faggots like you.

Ho, just saw the intro video. It was fucking junk. Shitty epic music and none of the charm of the original. Doesn't bode well for this game...

Cycloptis

Scholar
sqeecoo said:
Fuck, it looks cartoony and clean. And the music is so epic my ears hurt. And did you guys notice and elven chick in the cinematics trailer? I think I did. And I hate the "every unit has a special ability" mentality. But the protoss abilities seem good, and the setting more or less the same.

I do get a slight cartoony feel to it, but the animations really help it along. The epic music is probably there since it is still a huge unveiling. I'm sure we'll get the same rocking tunes as the first one.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Cycloptis said:
I do get a slight cartoony feel to it

Is there anything wrong with cartoony? Is the codex obsessed with teh realism like your average Oblivion nerd now? What gives? Dark and gritty is such a huge cliche right now i for one welcome a game with a color palette which isn't made up entirely of shades of brown and black.

Cycloptis

Scholar
Lyric Suite said:
Cycloptis said:
I do get a slight cartoony feel to it

Is there anything wrong with cartoony? Is the codex obsessed with teh realism like your average Oblivion nerd now? What gives? Dark and gritty is such a huge cliche right now i for one welcome a game with a color palette which isn't made up entirely of shades of brown and black.

It's not that, it's just that StarCraft felt and looked rather gritty. People just want that to carry into StarCraft II, which it has for the most part. Now that I see the animations for some of these units I'm definitely pleased with how the game is turning out, though there is still an overly clean look to some of the other units (i.e. siege tanks).

ricolikesrice

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
ricolikesrice said:

Yeah because DoW was so much better then Starcraft. I hate fanboys faggots like you.

Ho, just saw the intro video. It was fucking junk. Shitty epic music and none of the charm of the original. Doesn't bode well for this game...

DoW vs starcraft 1 is hardly a fair comparision and one i didnt make, i hate morons who cant even fucking read before they type their stupid bullshit.

Zomg

Arbiter
Huh. It's really a PC RTS. Crazy.

I guess they're chalking it up to advertising.

xemous

Arcane
If you compare the Starcraft 1 alpha screens you can predict they'll change the graphics over and over the alpha period.

xemous

Arcane
This is great news, I'll have this game in my hands in 2010 for sure. Awesome, unit animations rock cocks. Great stuff.

Suicidal

Arcane
I'm glad they are focusing on the 3 original races and not adding new playable ones.

But I think there will be a fourth race - the one that Duran was trying to create by fusing protoss with zerg, but it will probably just be a campaigin only race which will appear in the second half of the campaigin and it will pretty difficult to beat. Just my guess though.

Anyway I'm happy Blizzard finally anounced a sequel to one of my favorite RTS games and I hope it will provide me with months of entertainment just like the original did.

xemous

Arcane
The hybird race wont be playable thats for sure. I don't think its wise trying to balance and make unique four races. Three is a sweet spot for an RTS.

almondblight

Arcane
xemous said:
If you compare the Starcraft 1 alpha screens you can predict they'll change the graphics over and over the alpha period.

Not by that much, though. It will probably be more like the changes to WC III after they changed it to a RTS.

Spazmo

Erudite
Looks pretty neat.

There's no way that interface is final. It uses some art from SC1, for Pete's sake.

And Protoss -> Eldar -> Space elves. Aiur -> Primeval wilderness trees are great la la la.

EDIT - MOREOVER! If you guys want to bitch about something, you really should be bitching about how the lead designer for this worked on C&C Generals. Now THAT is a bad sign.

Annonchinil

Scholar
And did you guys notice and elven chick in the cinematics trailer?

Kerrigan?

Some of the new units and abilities sound great, although a bit much. They could strike a good balance, just like the original SC. I hope that the graphics won't be as clear plastic, that they wont go for the standard epic sound and that the camera will be farther away. Do the marines still get cut half?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom