Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

ushas

Savant
Haven't you been posting on there? or is that the Obsidian boards
Obsidian one. I would say there is already enough opinions. Would rather try to be more constructive further on, but without having all the info and knowledge, it ends up in misunderstandings...

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Hoenigs tracks are among the best video game scores period. Saying a track isn't as good isn't saying much.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Jesus fucking Christ this was underwhelming. It would be OK as a village music, but a main theme has to have more impact. Like those...what were they called...hm...oh yes, the IE games:

I hope they change this, I don't want this to be the first music I hear when I launch the game.

On the other hand, those screenshots look absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A more slow and subtle theme is more appropriate to Obsidian's more mature storytelling. :obviously:

NWN2 had that style of theme too:

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Hoenigs tracks are among the best video game scores period. Saying a track isn't as good isn't saying much.
Hiring Hoenig or Morgan wouldn't be too expensive. And music was an easy way to give their game the BG2 "feels". And the music is one of the most underwhelming aspects of the game so far. Missed opportunity here.

A more slow and subtle theme is more appropriate to Obsidian's more mature storytelling. :obviously:

Then they should had been inspired from PST's music. (which i consider better than BG's and Fallout's)

Athelas

Arcane
I actually didn't like either BG main theme all that much. Icewind Dale/Torment for the win.

Diablo169

Arcane
It's a nice piece of music, but it's not especially memorable. Icewind Dale's theme did a lot more in 1.50 to get me excited to play a game.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
PoE in general feels more low key than any of the IE games. Which is :incline: in my opinion.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I think the main theme is really good. It sets the mood perfectly IMO. It's not EPIC, but, does it need to be?
Of course it needs to be, it's an epic fantasy crpg, where souls are reincarnated, evil cults sacrifice innocents, dragons and ogres roam the country side... It's not an rpg about puck the apprentice mage that spends half the game learning to read latin with qte's.

Duraframe300

Arcane
PoE in general feels more low key than any of the IE games. Which is :incline: in my opinion.

Agreed

I personally really like POE's (main) theme

Anyway
Most of the issues with the combat only flag is restoring the game state after a save/load is performed. As you probably have noticed, we've had a fair share of issues with save/load over the course of the Backer Beta. Since you can't save in combat, we don't need to restore combat only abilities after a load. There are a few balance reasons, but most of those are minor compared to the save issues. We are going to evaluate combat only stuff moving forward (Paladin auras have been discussed), but I can't promise any changes right now.

So, to clarify, the combat only abilities are there because the programming side is too tricky for the time available
?

Yeah, pretty much. There are some other reasons too - like solving the issue with per encounter abilities outside of combat.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That themesong didn't really manage to catch my attention. It's one thing to be subtle, but this appears to lack all kinds of melodic or structural hooks.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
It's a fantastic track but I gotta agree that it suits better as a city song or something.

It's very surprising to me that no-one at Obsidian has gone like "hey this is great but maybe we could use something else as theme song?"

A theme song needs to be strong and memorable. This song is delicate and soft.

Hormalakh

Magister
Seems like they're in "deadline" mode and just half-assing whatever they can get away with: solid UI, combat states, etc etc.

The budget means more hiring than we expected at first – no surprise considering it’s roughly 4x the funding goal and the stretch goal content additions. The good news is we already have a capable crew to draw from, not to mention volunteers who popped out of the woodwork. It doesn’t affect time frame of the project, and considering we have the logistic info from the Black Isle Infinity Engine games (resources, time frame per asset, etc. – this is important because of one of the questions & answers below), and the fact that a lot of us have done this type of game before, that helps nail down a lot of the X factors involved with the project.

clearly not enough of them "Have done this type of game before" if they're scrambling. Come on Obsidian, you're just embarrassing yourself.

I liked the main theme. It builds up. The issue I have with IWD and BG2 main tracks ithat it's so "in-your-face" from the beginning. It doesn't tell a story. They're shit tracks as main themes. Better for action sequences and combat states. Also I don't think people listened to the whole song. They probably gave up after 20 seconds.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Every game half-asses at the end of development. You just never knew about it until now.

And yes, the main themes of the IE games are very much overrated.

Hormalakh

Magister
Every game half-asses at the end of development. You just never knew about it until now.

I didn't say they're half-assing in general. I meant to say that their solutions are half-assed. It's not how I expected a professional team that's "done this type of thing before" to plan their development.

Duraframe300

Arcane

I didn't say they're half-assing in general. I meant to say that their solutions are half-assed. It's not how I expected a professional team that's "done this type of thing before" to plan their development.

Wha?

How the fuck do you avoid specific problems that appear during the last stages of development? Do you think Obsidians programmers see into the future?
Or are you saying that they should have planned more to avoid such pitfalls? Because they did. Several design decisions were influenced to avoid problems.

And other than that what should they have done? These problems don't fix themselves any faster or even appear predictable (and in what capacity). The exact reason that they KNOW how long something takes to get fixed or done right is because they have encountered similiar things before.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I don't think you really can compare the Torment theme to the soundtrack of the other IE games. They are so different. Among the other ones, I'd probably say that BG2:SoA had the best, followed by BG1, then ToB, IWD2 and IWD in that order.

I like this new soundtrack for PoE, but I've found that it's probably too much to expect any composer to make a soundtrack measuring up to Michael Hoenig's work for BG2. Also, there are a lot of people who fundamentally don't like or don't understand music and often turns it off, but still feel the need to express their opinion about it for some reason :?.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom