Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of the RPG Genre

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
We've had many good RPGs, but things have become polluted by business, money and bad relationships. The success of the RPG genre is leading to it's downfall.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It has fallen once, and then has risen again.

Maybe this will happen again [I sure hope so, as the mediocre shit will lead to its downfall and then it will be pulled up again by great classics like Torment or Fallout. Well, at least I hope so.]

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not too worried about the state of RPGs. Sure, we're getting tons of mediocre shit on the mainstream, but look what's coming out on the independent scene soon. That's some promising stuff, if you ask me, and if the scene keeps the ball rolling, we could be in for some RPG heaven.

Pegultagol

Erudite
We will all be reading Russian at some point, or Polish. I think that's where most of all hardcore PC gaming will see some light. Everything else will be released on console ported to PC platform.

Cimmerian Nights said:
We've had many good RPGs, but things have become polluted by business, money and bad relationships. The success of the RPG genre is leading to it's downfall.

That is what they want you to think! :bethesda masterplan:

also i think there are some good cRPGs in russian language, but those communists aren`t interested in translating, the codex needs some russian speaking RPG search unit or something, so we can force them to translate it or even build a own translation team. Get creative. Lets create a global cRPG searching network. :roll: :enthusiasm:

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Pegultagol said:
We will all be reading Russian at some point, or Polish. I think that's where most of all hardcore PC gaming will see some light. Everything else will be released on console ported to PC platform.

Germany also has some hope left, but it's being pulled towards the mainstream more and more.

Still, there are some promising indies left in the West, but the East, like Poland and Russia, are more receptive about hardcore indie titles it seems. Maybe because the hype-machines have not yet reached them that much. And because not every 13 year old retard gets an XBox by his parents.

MorningStar

Novice
The RPG scene isn't dying more than PC gaming itself. I truly feel console gaming is gaining even more attention than before, particularly from our good old PC developers. Even John Carmack is always talking about how great the Xbox 360 sdk is, how easier to develop Directx became (he was a famous OpenGL proponent..).. he's going more crazy about developing crap for xbox and java phone games than making a new FPS revolution, he's disappointing.

MorningStar said:
The RPG scene isn't dying more than PC gaming itself. I truly feel console gaming is gaining even more attention than before, particularly from our good old PC developers.
And soon enough consoles will revert back into computers. That's all they're doing, trying to "improve" consoles to where they become PCs.

denizsi

Arcane
Praise be to Allah for retribution is near! We shall wage Jihad on Western RPGs and spread Allah's divine will through our Islamic RPGs!

Section8

Cipher
Even John Carmack is always talking about how great the Xbox 360 sdk is, how easier to develop Directx became (he was a famous OpenGL proponent..).. he's going more crazy about developing crap for xbox and java phone games than making a new FPS revolution, he's disappointing.

While I have a great deal of respect for Carmack, who is obviously a very talented guy, he's done precious little for the games industry beyond legitimising the graphics whore, and proving that mass-market success in the games industry can be very profitable for a select few people.

Well, maybe that's selling the guy short a little, but beyond Doom's sheer awesomeness (luck?) and Quake's moddable engine, everything else has just been graphics, graphics, graphics.

JoeDirt

Scholar
Correct me if I'm wrong section8, but the way I've always understood it is that Carmack merely desgins the engines. He had little to no part in making Doom 3 the crapfest it is, he just made a really advanced game engine and (appropriately) hyped the hell out of it in interviews. I don't recall him once trying to hype Doom 3's gameplay because it wasn't his department.

Krafter

Scholar
Carmack has gone from ripping on Bill Gates to sucking up to the xbox, of all things. He is dead to me. Go fly your rocket ships, sell out. :P

It is probably just the PC v console argument rather than an RPG argument, IMHO. Everything is getting dumbed down, not just our RPGs. FPS games are made for the console now, they are trying to move RTS to the console, ect.

Cimmerian Nights

Liturgist
RTS did to strategy games what FPS is doing to RPGs. Old table-top based, hex based, turn based, stat heavy games that get lobotomized to reach a broader audience - sellouts.
In the strategy genre, there are legions of hard-core war geeks dedicated to studying historical battle maps, unit strengths, unit graphics, orders of battle and whatnot. Hopefully the hardcore RPG crowd can get a grassroots, organic movement going that can fill the gaping hole left in it by mainstream sellouts.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Spazmo, don't beat around the bush, it's in the shitter, unless you happen to prefer action games. Although in that case you're VERY definitely in the WRONG place.

RTS: WOW! And I've always been mystified why my second favorite genre hasn't gotten a purchase in c. 6y+...

FrancoTAU

Cipher
It'll be interesting to see what happens with the new consoles still selling like shit. Well, the Wii is selling like crazy but it's aimed at children and super casual gamers which the console market was originally meant for.

Sony and Microsoft either keep losing money on these things or just concede that PCs will have a big tech advantage over them and go the Wii path.

What happens than though? Do we get better games or do devs just ditch the PC market?

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
SimpleComplexity said:
Cimmerian Nights said:

That is what they want you to think! :bethesda masterplan:

also i think there are some good cRPGs in russian language, but those communists aren`t interested in translating, the codex needs some russian speaking RPG search unit or something, so we can force them to translate it or even build a own translation team. Get creative. Lets create a global cRPG searching network. :roll: :enthusiasm:

I am russian communist (I'm from Ukraine, but that doesn't matter). You think that there are some good rpgs in russian language or know that? Because so far I know only one rpg in russian language - "Dungeon Cleaners". All others are not really rpg. If I am not right and here are other russian communists, please correct. Speaking of "Dungeon Cleaners": It's very specifical game even for our countries and there are a lot of untraslatable things, humor and stuff. No, we can translate them, but you'll not understand tham as intended. If anybody interested in this PM to me please. After I'll finish my dimploma and graduate which happens late June, I may work on translation. But I need somebody from USA, Canada or Europe to help me.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
FrancoTAU said:
What happens than though? Do we get better games or do devs just ditch the PC market?

If that happens, the indies will rise, as they are the only ones left giving us games for the PC. They will get more attention from PC gamers if they're the only ones left, I guess. And when nobody develops shit anymore for PC, PC game technologies get cheaper and cheaper, so the indies could create games with amazing graphics and whatnot just like the big companies. And as the mass market switched to consoles, the indies, or maybe new big companies which they might become [like Troika], must make good, quality games to keep their fanbase interested. If they make one fault like Oblivion was, the fanbase would abandon them and there is no reasonably big enough mainstream to support that shit.

This is all just pure speculation which might be completely improbable though.

inwoker said:
I am russian communist (I'm from Ukraine, but that doesn't matter). You think that there are some good rpgs in russian language or know that? Because so far I know only one rpg in russian language - "Dungeon Cleaners". All others are not really rpg. If I am not right and here are other russian communists, please correct. Speaking of "Dungeon Cleaners": It's very specifical game even for our countries and there are a lot of untraslatable things, humor and stuff. No, we can translate them, but you'll not understand tham as intended. If anybody interested in this PM to me please. After I'll finish my dimploma and graduate which happens late June, I may work on translation. But I need somebody from USA, Canada or Europe to help me.

Actually i just wrote communists to get some answers from russians, who felt to defend themselves. it worked. :cool: :masterplan:

Dungeon Cleaners looks very Fallout-y. I don`t think its fair to say, that Dungeon Cleaners is untranslatable, only because of the culture differences or some other things, which you mentioned. Fallout was also very american, but still it managed to be very popular in countries all over the world just like Simpsons, because of the translation. A english translation could make this game much more popular, i dont even know, if russians want to make that game more popular, most of them like to keep their goodies for themselves. I`m sure you could get help with the translations here at the Codex. It would be one cRPG more, we could play and we could support this project with donations or feedback etc, if we really enjoyed this game.

Also, do you know about some RPG called Goldenland or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom