Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

Project Scissors: NightCry

A brand new horror game from Hifumi Kono, the creator of the Clock Tower game series, and Takashi Shimizu, the director of The Grudge.

NightCry is set on a cruise ship, and you have been invited along for the cruise of a (possibly short) lifetime. While your surroundings are luxurious and the guests are friendly, not everything is as it should be. The guests and the crew start to turn up dead, the victims of some foul murderer.

As those aboard begin to suspect each other, night falls, and a baby’s cry echoes throughout. It's up to you to search for clues that will lead you to the killer as you float, lost, on the open sea.

But be forewarned - your actions will determine how many survive to the end.

The game was originally planned for iOS and PS Vita, and this is a campaign for the PC version with improved graphics.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Kickstarter in 2014 across all categories: http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Thom...Kickstarter_in_2014_across_all_categories.php

On the "decline" in games category:

Who was it good for?

Back in September, I looked at how 2014 had been for Video Games on Kickstarter, and I did some projections showing that the numbers were going down from 2013. I won’t go in depth in any of the subcategories, but this is an interesting overview across all categories, showing their progress from 2013:

There has been a significant drop in the amount of money pledged for Comics, Films and Games on the platform in the past year. On the other hand, it was a fantastic year for Technology projects while Food and Design projects also performed very well.

But that’s only half of the story. As we have observed in the past, it is very easy for a few very large projects to weigh heavily on the overall amount of money pledged in one category.

Year-on-year, looking purely at the number of funded projects, the only categories that saw a significant dip are Art, Music and Films. This helps illustrate that Games saw more projects getting funded than in 2013, despite gathering less money…

In a way, this means (in Games at least) that Kickstarter is getting more democratic and benefits more creators with projects with different scopes. And just to illustrate that thought, here is the Games category broken down per funding tier:

You can find this kind of break down for all categories in the Slideshare presentation…

All things considered though, we can say that it was a good year for picnic lovers.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/43328422/this-is-the-police

This Is the Police

Jack Boyd, beloved police chief of Freeburg, has 180 days before he’s forced to retire. But Jack won’t be going out quietly. Over the next six months, he’ll be going all out to fulfill a dream: earn half a million dollars, any way he can. That might be play money for a corrupt cop, but up until now, Jack has been playing by the book. Even with overtime, in six months he wouldn’t make fifty grand. But a police chief has access to all sorts of… informal income. Bribes, weapons and drug sales, deals with the Mafia, skimming off the budget, kickbacks – you name it. And Jack is tired of playing nice. He’s is ready for anything, but only you can decide how far he’ll go.

Edit: Kotaku, PcGamer are quoted on the project's page.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
In hindsight I must say that Kickstarter has, for my specific taste in gaming at least, been an astounding success. Yes, there have been disappointments, failures and even cons, but anyone should have expected these. In the meantime I'm looking at the games I have enjoyed and come to the conclusion that most of them would have most likely not been around without crowdfunding. Shadowrun: Dragonfall, FTL, The Banner Saga, Elite: Dangerous, Wasteland 2 are just a few that spring to mind. Not the kind of games I expect the COD-sequelitis obsessed suits at the big publishers to have funded.

Do hope that Kickstarter will remain a valid way for smaller and middle devs to promote their projects. I'm willing to see the occasional disappointment, failure and, yes, even con as long as I can have more experiences like starting up the early acces of Darkest Dungeon and being totally blown away by how close it remains to all I had hoped to see from their initial pitch.

Gozma

Arcane
2. He's the fucking Oatmeal guy. He's extremely popular and, to be fair, difficult to hate. Even if you are one of those people who hate popular things (i.e. RPGCodex members), you can still look back to times when he wasn't huge and have fond memories.

Yeah I assume it's mostly a guy with a lot of goodwill built up cashing it in, not people that actually care about the particular product

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I see they are from the best country in the world. Still not interested in backing.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/playism/project-scissors-nightcry

Project Scissors: NightCry

A brand new horror game from Hifumi Kono, the creator of the Clock Tower game series, and Takashi Shimizu, the director of The Grudge.

NightCry is set on a cruise ship, and you have been invited along for the cruise of a (possibly short) lifetime. While your surroundings are luxurious and the guests are friendly, not everything is as it should be. The guests and the crew start to turn up dead, the victims of some foul murderer.

As those aboard begin to suspect each other, night falls, and a baby’s cry echoes throughout. It's up to you to search for clues that will lead you to the killer as you float, lost, on the open sea.

But be forewarned - your actions will determine how many survive to the end.

The game was originally planned for iOS and PS Vita, and this is a campaign for the PC version with improved graphics.

:desu:

almondblight

Arcane
Eh...the Orion Trail prototype (linked to in the Kickstarter) sucks and from what they say, the prototype is a good representation of the final game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
:roll:

We think that the prototype is a kernel of something that could be really great, but there are many improvements to make. We’ve done a lot of discussing, late-night thinking, and planning for how we’d improve the game, which we used to arrive at our $90,000 ask to you guys.

almondblight

Arcane
If you bothered playing the prototype you'd see that it's pretty much how they describe the game to be. None of the suggested improvements seem to solve the problem with the core gameplay (it's pretty much pick the color choice you have the highest number in). But whatever, if you think getting a sense of a game from the prototype the developers suggested you check out is foolish for some reason - hey, it's your money.

Executr

Cipher
Windwalkers
"An ACTION RPG for PC, single/multi-player with co-op, set in a new sci-fi and fantasy world where you have to survive."

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forgeanimation/windwalkers-the-game

This one seems to be pretty ambitious, asking for such low amount. They're adapting from a sci-fi book by a French author, and they're planning to make this game, an animation movie and a series of comics.
On a RPG-related note they mention the following on the KS FAQ:
OK, so the game is a “hardcore RPG action/survival adventure”. What exactly does that mean??
So when I say hardcore RPG it’s a bit like if I took “Dark Soul”, a super immersive game, and then put it in the world of “The Journey” to make it into an adventure game, and then I took the fun parts of “Left for Dead” to turn it into a good multiplayer action game.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
DICE!! Cure / Heal Dice!! for RPGs
by Andy "Cosmo-Joe" Watkins
photo-1024x768.jpg

Has your party been defeated? Is death all around you? Is it you? NO! You just need better dice for healing! Perfect for healers!!
Are you incapable of reading numbers? Do you need a visual representation of what they mean? Do you think you're playing an MMORPG and your character should only ever do one thing? These are the dice for you!

thomasms

Barely Literate
Four developers passionate by JRPG have just launched a kickstarter.

“Edge Of Eternity” is An indie tribute to J-RPG classics. You will explore a universe blending fantasy with science-fiction, intense ATB battles and branching story.

With Yasunori Mitsuda onboard

82149791694a17e5f62454be5cb8f433_large.JPG

It looks very promising!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom