Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

State of the RPG Genre

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, we've kinda set the bar high up there with Two Worlds.

But, of course, The Witcher will be fantastic, so there's still hope.

(And who knows about Afterfall.)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Elwro said:
Yeah, we've kinda set the bar high up there with Two Worlds.

But, of course, The Witcher will be fantastic, so there's still hope.

(And who knows about Afterfall.)

What happened to Afterfall anyways? I haven't seen a site update for ages.

MorningStar

Novice
Section8 said:
Even John Carmack is always talking about how great the Xbox 360 sdk is, how easier to develop Directx became (he was a famous OpenGL proponent..).. he's going more crazy about developing crap for xbox and java phone games than making a new FPS revolution, he's disappointing.

While I have a great deal of respect for Carmack, who is obviously a very talented guy, he's done precious little for the games industry beyond legitimising the graphics whore, and proving that mass-market success in the games industry can be very profitable for a select few people.

Well, maybe that's selling the guy short a little, but beyond Doom's sheer awesomeness (luck?) and Quake's moddable engine, everything else has just been graphics, graphics, graphics.

I think John Carmack, regardless of how you actually like Id Software games, is one of the best examples to show how old computing farts are switching to the consoles. Carmack is a computing alpha geek, in the good old times he had a NeXT workstation, he's one of the very rare game developer to port their engines to Linux and he open the source code of the old engines (the Quake 3 engine is opensource and doom 3 will probably follow in the next years)
A guy like him. Talking about how the SDK of the xbox 360 is superior to sliced-bread. It feels very bad for us, pc gamers.

denizsi said:
Hasn't Carmack stated that he would quit making game engines after Quake 3, and then again after Doom 3? He had some space projects going on and he's said he would leave the gaming industry to focus completely on that area. Money?

Right now he's having fun writing crap for java phones. And he will maybe write the engine for the Xbox 360 optimized game (but multiplatform : pc and ps3 too, it's just that the xbox is the priority) id Software is working on.

When a company like id Software is switching to the console after decades of geekism, porting all their games to linux, mac and using OpenGL, there's something going on. It just means PC gaming is reaching it's end.

I kissed goodbye to gaming one year ago when i upgraded my PC and saw there's no new game worthy of the money i've put into my hardware.

Section8

Cipher
I kissed goodbye to gaming one year ago when i upgraded my PC and saw there's no new game worthy of the money i've put into my hardware.

I'm more or less in the same boat. I have the money to upgrade my PC, and even have components picked out. I just don't know what I'm going to use it for...

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Section8 said:

I'm more or less in the same boat. I have the money to upgrade my PC, and even have components picked out. I just don't know what I'm going to use it for...

The second coming of Troika?

I still believe in wonders. Or at least I have hope that there will be the occasional gem or two around there, getting released by some company like Troika. Maybe once a decade there will be something like that, who knows.

Well, I have to admit... looking at the current market, there's not much to hope for.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Elwro said:
I have no idea; I'm not sure if they managed to interest any publishers.

Hell yes, finally an update!

www.afterfall.pl

...Intoxicate Interactive team comes back with all kinds of positive information! In the last few months, Afterfall encountered an avalanche of unbelievable surprises, starting from new development possiblities, up to one of our core team member’s personal success. Let’s take a closer look at all the details…

And it doesn't sound bad, either.

Krafter

Scholar
MorningStar said:
It just means PC gaming is reaching it's end.
Not a chance. As long as there are PC's and people who will buy games for them, there will be games for the PC.

Now, if you want to say it's getting less attention and money than console or handheld games, fine, I'm with you there. I don't need to be in first place, as long as they still are making games that I like to play. Let Gamespot/IGN/G4/whomever slobber over the consoles, I'll hang here and do the PC game thing.

MorningStar

Novice
Section8 said:

I'm very sad of what i did with my money. At the times i was already thinking of getting a mac instead because i like to do music stuff on my comps and OSX is pretty cool, but my hope in getting some fun with at least one game of this generation turned me on. God, if i knew i'd have NO USE AT ALL for this new hardware. Shit, it truly feels like i burned the money inside a giant furnace. This new pc serves no purpose, my old one did everything i *need* beside gaming.

Yep, not even one game gave me any pleasure. I played all the good things on my old PC. Well, i didn't try Civilization 4 and i loved Civ3, so there's some room for at least *one* game. But civ4 is not my priority on my shopping list because i don't think it could add much to the kind. And maybe i'll play Xenosaga if PCSX2 gets better compatibility, because Xenogears was one of the very few jap game i liked and every Xenogears fan i know also thinks Xenosaga rocks.

Not a chance. As long as there are PC's and people who will buy games for them, there will be games for the PC.

I didn't mean it this way. You got it right after that.

Krafter

Scholar
Ah, gotcha. Sorry about that, I'm a bit sick of hearing about the "death" of PC gaming for the last 20 years. I get defensive, heh. :)

Oh, and the Xenosaga games are great. One and Two are at least, I haven't yet gotten to the third game.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
JarlFrank said:
Elwro said:
I have no idea; I'm not sure if they managed to interest any publishers.

Hell yes, finally an update!

www.afterfall.pl

...Intoxicate Interactive team comes back with all kinds of positive information! In the last few months, Afterfall encountered an avalanche of unbelievable surprises, starting from new development possiblities, up to one of our core team member’s personal success. Let’s take a closer look at all the details…

And it doesn't sound bad, either.
So if all things go well they'll finally get a publisher. :o

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom