Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wasteland 2 Kickstarter Update #60: Migration to Unity 5, Character System Upgrade

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Keenan; InXile Entertainment; Wasteland 2

It's been almost three months since we learned that inXile would be releasing a comprehensive "balance pass" for Wasteland 2. We have gotten two patches since then, but nothing that you could call a "balance pass", and some people have begun to get skeptical. Well, today's Kickstarter update reveals why things may be taking longer than expected. Wasteland 2 is due to get not just a balance pass, but also an improved character system and an engine upgrade.

Part of the newfound freedom we’ve gained from being an exclusively crowdfunded company is that it allows us to offer a high level of post-release support. While this is normal practice for an active multiplayer game, we believe that the ongoing improvements to the single player experience in Wasteland 2 are worth the time and money. The game truly continues to be a passion project for the team here at inXile.

And we’re not done yet…

If you've been keeping a close eye on things, you might have heard tell that we're looking at doing some more balancing and improvements of Wasteland 2 in the future. We have expanded our original plan and decided that this is going to be a part of something much larger for all our fans.

In pursuit of this goal, one task we're working on right now is migrating the Wasteland 2 codebase from the Unity 4.5 engine to Unity 5, which will enable some new possibilities for us. A major benefit of moving to Unity 5 is that 5 will include many of the tools from Unity 4.x Pro. We relied on many of these tools during our development (like creating and building navigation meshes), and they will be available to modders without having to pay thousands of dollars for a Pro Unity license. There is no doubt that this migration will allow us to release better tools for modding to our community in the future.

So what’s the “something bigger” that I teased earlier? Let’s just say that the Orange County lifestyle might be getting to us as the game will be receiving a facelift. Unity 5 offers physically based shading, which is already starting to look amazing in the scenes we’ve touched up.

As well as visual improvements, we have quite a few quirky tricks up our sleeves. The character system is getting perked up and will include some new elements to modify gameplay. Of course, more details will be released in the future so stay tuned!
"Perked up", eh? Whatever could that mean?

Athelas

Arcane
I wonder how much the turn-based systems of Wasteland 2 and Torment will have in common. It would be prudent if both could iterate on the same frame work.

If they're looking for suggestions for the new character system, I have a few ideas. :M

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I wonder how much the turn-based systems of Wasteland 2 and Torment will have in common. It would be prudent if both could iterate on the same frame work.

If they're looking for suggestions for the new character system, I have a few ideas. :M

Talk to sea.

hiver

Hey everyone, we made a shit game and we are still trying to figure out what the hell to do with it to be less shit only we dont know yet but something will come up. Stay tuned! :lol:
Hey, lets add perks from fallout!
That should like completely solve every problem with the incoherent cheap schlock game we made. Because our audience are imbeciles!

:D

I find it totally hilarious that anyone believes any kind of balance pass will change anything about this game, but i guess when you are desperate you will swallow anything.
New character system...? :rasping sarcastic lol: Where in the bloody hell do you see anyone mentioning a new character system? All they will do is try to patch up the biggest most obvious failures of it and that wont change a godamn thing in the overall gestalt.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Reposting my thoughts from the main thread:

I'm impressed to see this much effort put into post-release support. Bodes well for the future of RPGs imo.

I also like InXile willing to be a bit chancy porting to Unity 5.

xemous

Arcane
unity 5 wont fix the crap artwork

fallout 1 has better graphics than shitland 2

Last edited:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
network1976dvdripxvidcd1-waf07935610-20-42.jpg

By the way, i haven't played the game, so no defense of anything. Still you sound like meltdown.

Last edited:
Unwanted

Obama Phone

Unwanted
  1. Don't like the Unity Engine at all... Looks like cheap tablet garbage
  2. Randomized loot is no fun
  3. Square tiles should be hexagons (I play with the gridlines ON)
  4. Multiple characters needed to accomplish 1 objective is beyond tedious (e.g. defuse trap, lockpick, safecrack)
  5. ***NUMBER 1 COMPLAINT IS HORRIBLE CAMERA! I'm surprised this has not been mentioned yet. I'm constantly zooming in/out, panning, and scanning maps just to get a good view. This makes the game almost unplayable***

soulburner

Cipher
I always hated how games quickly become left with no more support from developers. A few patches and it's finished. I remember Valve promised something like this and Half-Life 2 - they said they will update it with higher resolution textures, higher poly models and stuff (the only thing they did is update the game to a newer version of the Source Engine which didn't bring anything interesting and only added more bugs and problems). Id Software also promised it with Rage - higher resolution megatextures, 64 bit executable with some enhancements, some other engine experiments, etc. Nothing happened, except for bi-cubic texture filtering, which is very cool, but not enough.

So when I read this update that InXile is updating Wasteland 2 in such a big way I am very happy. As much as the game doesn't need to look amazing, a facelift is very welcome (even if it's just updated shaders and lighting). Enabling more modability with Unity 5 is pretty cool, too. Just when I wanted to replay it... I'm going to wait for the new update :) Also, the team experimenting with Unity 5 means they will have more experience with the engine (so if they decide to base The Bard's Tale IV on it, they will need to learn less) - and the 5th version of it is looking pretty good, with better lighting, physically based shading and stuff.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I always hated how games quickly become left with no more support from developers. A few patches and it's finished. I remember Valve promised something like this and Half-Life 2 - they said they will update it with higher resolution textures, higher poly models and stuff (the only thing they did is update the game to a newer version of the Source Engine which didn't bring anything interesting and only added more bugs and problems). Id Software also promised it with Rage - higher resolution megatextures, 64 bit executable with some enhancements, some other engine experiments, etc. Nothing happened, except for bi-cubic texture filtering, which is very cool, but not enough.

So when I read this update that InXile is updating Wasteland 2 in such a big way I am very happy. As much as the game doesn't need to look amazing, a facelift is very welcome (even if it's just updated shaders and lighting). Enabling more modability with Unity 5 is pretty cool, too. Just when I wanted to replay it... I'm going to wait for the new update :) Also, the team experimenting with Unity 5 means they will have more experience with the engine (so if they decide to base The Bard's Tale IV on it, they will need to learn less) - and the 5th version of it is looking pretty good, with better lighting, physically based shading and stuff.

The 2010 HL2 upgrade did a bit more than that. It added those shotgun Combine dudes to the game. There was also an Oculus Rift update later on.

I think it may have also added more music, but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited:

hiver

By the way, i haven't played the game, so no defense of anything. Still you sound like meltdown.
Then you are an utter imbecile.
Very glaring butthurt, btw.

He hasn't been the same since Blackcat rejected his advances despite all the whiteknighting.
Thats right commie, thats exactly what happened... in that devolved shitbrain of yours - right after a bunch of you shits jumped to the opportunity to further laugh at and humiliate her and then try to hit on her at the same time like a walking turds that you are.[/QUOTE]

soulburner

Cipher
The 2010 HL2 upgrade did a bit more than that. It added those shotgun Combine dudes to the game. There was also an Oculus Rift update later on.

I think it may have also added more music, but I'm not sure about that.

Shotgun Combine? Weren't there always Combine with shotguns in the game?
OK, the Source engine updates are nice, Oculus Rift support is also pretty cool, so that might not be a perfect example after all, but based on what they were saying near or after the release more new content was expected.

soulburner

Cipher
Hmm, interesting, don't know how I missed that. Suddenly felt the urge to replay the game again, but I think I'm going to wait until Half-Life 3 is announced :D

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Regardless, I think it's pretty darn cool of them to keep working to improve the game. You don't see that from many these days. I still remember one of the Descent to Undermountain guys releasing his own patch trying to salvage that game... now that's dedication.

Wizfall

Cipher
Very nice move, HBS showed the way maybe.
Barely played more than one hour of W2 but now waiting for the upgrade (or the release of the balance patch which is more important).
If they could manage to make a little something in order to improve the camera it would be awesome (i found it even more cumbersome than regular moving camera).

Raapys

Arcane
Meh, don't like them spending cash on this. Unless it benefits an eventual sequel, I guess.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't care what anyone says: The post-release support for some Kickstarter games have been really solid. This, D:OS and Dragonfall. Good work of them and I am also happy that expansion gameplay changes will be applied to the OC of Pillars of Eternity.

I think that when Bards Tale IV kickstarter is announced, InXile will announce some kind of Director Cut version of Wasteland 2 free to all backers. Just a hunch. And a sound business strategy.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
All this gives me the impression the balance patch release will be a long ways off which doesn't bode well for my physical copy. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom