Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What good omens were evident?

DarkSign

Erudite
Not trashing it by far...but the only thing that inspired some hope was that they got the posters on the adverts right... thats not a lot to stand on.

Anyone want to post what they liked about it?

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm encouraged that mainstream game marketing has adopted dipshit movie teaser culture, thus cauterizing the wound caused by its loss to tru nerds. Also I'm encouraged that people started twenty threads about it, telling me that everyone has wormlike parasites in their brains (encouraging?).

Fez

Erudite
It seems that most people in the game industry wish they were really making movies.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
JarlFrank said:
The hype machine has won! Every second newly created thread is about the FO3 teaser!

And how great the game is , based on what they just saw , goes to show the shalowness of young people these days .

Spazmo

Erudite
So, DarkSign, this is something like a half dozen topics you've started about this teaser? Are your thoughts so massive they can't be contained within a single thread?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mayday said:
Less stupid bullshit, more RPG discussion, guys.

Then I shall open a thread about some RPG topic now.
Soemthing to distract from the FO3 hype is seriously needed.

Section8

Cipher
I know I'm a broken record here, but to me the teaser feels like some dipshit American Idol contestant covering a classic song. The backing band is spot on, and the singer is hitting all the right notes, but I'm failing to see why this person should be on a world stage instead of just in a karaoke bar somewhere.

It really does sadden me to see so many people reacting positively to ambivalent mediocrity.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
What's so mediocre about it Section 8? Define. None of us is having illusions about the quality of FO 3, but let's just focus on the teaser and analyse it.

What makes it mediocre? What's bad, what's good? Isn't a weak copy of Fallout 1 more than we could have hoped for? It's better than Bethesda trying to be creative, which they can't be. (Well, they can, think Morrowind art direction, but that's just a shadow of the past).

Edit:
Maybe the headline should have been "Codex afflicted with battered wife syndrome". We've been beaten and raped repeatedly in the past, and the one day he comes home and you're all like "Wow, this is the first time in ten years you've remembered my name! You're the best!"

Then later that night when he's unbuttoning your blouse, you notice your name badge from work was pinned on it the whole time, and feed yourself a guilty lie that he would have remembered it anyway and that this is the start of a new, reformed marriage with a bright future.

Hyperbole? Yes. But just because your expectations are as low as they can go doesn't mean you should be happy about getting nothing more than the bare minimum. Down in your hearts you know how it's going to end.

Well... nevermind then. Not much more to say than that. Also, a very good way of describing it, S8. Hat off.

sheek

Arbiter
Zomg said:
I'm encouraged that mainstream game marketing has adopted dipshit movie teaser culture, thus cauterizing the wound caused by its loss to tru nerds. Also I'm encouraged that people started twenty threads about it, telling me that everyone has wormlike parasites in their brains (encouraging?).

Word.

DarkSign et al, do you sincerely not realize that you are part of the HypeMachine?

Rat Keeng

Liturgist
This isn't about being joyous and ever grateful because he comes home and doesn't beat you for one night, and you immidiately turn happy and what not. It's more a case of him coming home and not punching you in the face as the first thing, rather than maintaining the status quo of you getting your teeth punched out.

Sure, you're wondering how long it'll last, how long will it be before he comes home as he used to, clobbering you into submission, as if you weren't there already. This is about tonight, when, if only for this one night, he doesn't beat you, he doesn't scream at you, and he doesn't treat you like a piece of shit.

I'm sure none of us are looking forward to the looming future, but if we can't enjoy these (albeit fleeting) moments, what can we enjoy?

Koby

Scholar
Fez said:
It seems that most people in the game industry wish they were really making movies.
The movie industry will give you real fame and fortune, hordes of 13 year old girls throwing their panties at you and an Oscar, the game industry will give you what? A lousy pay check, some Japanese/Korean die hard fans and a mug shot at mobygames.com.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Jasede said:
Well... nevermind then. Not much more to say than that. Also, a very good way of describing it, S8. Hat off.
Section8 does have a way with words, doesn't he?

I agree with his points, which is why I don't really understand the "but...but...it does look like FO1 intro" obsession. Intro, not gameplay. Can't you people tell the fucking difference?

I shall now await the flood of idiotic "but...but...we haven't seen any gameplay yet" comments.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
Jasede said:

I agree with his points, which is why I don't really understand the "but...but...it does look like FO1 intro" obsession. Intro, not gameplay. Can't you people tell the fucking difference?

I shall now await the flood of idiotic "but...but...we haven't seen any gameplay yet" comments.

Yeah but at least the intro shows: The setting looks fallouty.
If this is true for the real game is clear in no way at all, we have to wait for gameplay footage to be released, or at least some screenshots.

But the setting won't be screwed up as much as in FOBOS, and that's at least one good point.

Don't get me wrong here, I still don't trust them to do the gameplay right, but they didn't rape the setting at least and try to stay true to it.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
JarlFrank said:
Vault Dweller said:
Jasede said:

Yeah but at least...
You've lost me at "at least".

But the setting won't be screwed up as much as in FOBOS, and that's at least one good point.
It's an intro, based on FO1 intro. In other words, it shows nothing, but pretty graphics, but that part we already knew.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well it shows that there might be a TINY chance that the game has a whisper of Fallout in its bones -

BUT!

We can not tell. It's a fuckin' teaser. We can not tell.

DarkSign

Erudite
TBH, I dont even think the graphics are that great. Look at Crysis. Holy jebuis that looks nice and crisp.

In comparison, look at the flat textures of the "leather seats." Or the jaggedness of the model corners.

Oh well, i wasnt going to judge this game by graphics anyway.

gameinformer.jpg

Oh great....

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Playstation 3, XBox 360, PC...
WHOT??? I WON'T GET TIS GAEM ON MY CELLPHONE???

Ander Vinz said:
Playstation 3, XBox 360, PC...
I'm guessing that's the order of importance in Bethesda's mind. Or else they would have went with alphabetical.

WHOT??? I WON'T GET TIS GAEM ON MY CELLPHONE???
No they're talking about Fallout 3. But Fallout 3: Travels will exist soon enough.

Zomg

Arbiter
Section8 said:
I know I'm a broken record here, but to me the teaser feels like some dipshit American Idol contestant covering a classic song. The backing band is spot on, and the singer is hitting all the right notes, but I'm failing to see why this person should be on a world stage instead of just in a karaoke bar somewhere.

The FO2 intro is the same facile aping of FO1 (plus a leaden, asthmatic joke). Lots of people like FO2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom