Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4 years w/o playing new games - anything I missed? (PC sp)

Oh, right: Posting in a Lyric Suite & Nomask thread :troll:

nomask7

Arcane
Capra Demon fell to my black knight sword.

Now that I've played the game more, I can say it's essentially railroady. There is a lot of backtracking, plus there are some small secret areas, and you can find new boss areas via old places once you have the keys, but the essential progression in every level is not much more than a railroad - which is of course typical of a console title.

Still, everything else about the game is so good that it's a nice time sink.

From what I've read, it's best played offline unless you're a fan of MMO's (i.e. a fan of retards, hand-holding, spoilers, and griefing). I do recommend checking the intended progression from a walkthrough because the game can be ridiculously misguiding about where you're supposed to go next.

Btw, I've read that you can only get the best story rewards if you use the human form in certain places. That's an interesting feature of the game, kind of like hardcore mode, since using human form makes you waste humanity points. Maybe it can be meta gamed if you know exactly where to use human form, but for those who don't at least, it's a cool added challenge for the second playthrough.

nomask7

Arcane
I do recommend checking the intended progression from a walkthrough because the game can be ridiculously misguiding about where you're supposed to go next.

This is why we can't have nice things.

If you played online, you'd know that anyway from reading the signs, right?

Obviously, people are free to play the game any way they wish. It was just a recommendation based on my own experience with the game and the assumption you're not a masochist.

Have you even played the game?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
If you played online, you'd know that anyway from reading the signs, right?

Obviously, people are free to play the game any way they wish. It was just a recommendation based on my own experience with the game and the assumption you're not a masochist.

Have you even played the game?

The signs are more hints than outright spoilers, given that they are all prewritten messages that you can simply lay out. If you'd play the game instead of reading about it you might know.

Obviously. But the game's strengths are gameplay and exploration. Might as well read a walkthrough while playing Monkey Island.

Yes I have.

nomask7

Arcane
The signs are more hints than outright spoilers

Except I don't play online, so I wouldn't have those "hints".

If you'd play the game instead of reading about it you might know.

You seem awfully concerned how I play a game and what aspects of it I derive my pleasure from.

Might as well read a walkthrough while playing Monkey Island.

If that were true, then replaying Dark Souls would have no value and no interest, since you'd already know where to go and what to do - yet from what I can tell, people love replaying the game.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Obviously. But the game's strengths are gameplay and exploration. Might as well read a walkthrough while playing Monkey Island.

I don't think this is the case at all. The meat of the game is still the combat, secrets are just there to give you special bonuses, which can be substantial (you can discover special NPCs, key items and even two extra areas, one of which is pretty much mandatory), but the discovery of which doesn't trivialize the game. There's also a couple of secrets that simply cannot be solved unless you read spoilers (to wit: who ever managed to save Solaire without reading up on out to do it first?), but the benefit of those is questionable.

Grim Monk

Arcane

I don't think this is the case at all. The meat of the game is still the combat, secrets are just there to give you special bonuses, which can be substantial (you can discover special NPCs, key items and even two extra areas, one of which is pretty much mandatory), but the discovery of which doesn't trivialize the game. There's also a couple of secrets that simply cannot be solved unless you read spoilers (to wit: who ever managed to save Solaire without reading up on out to do it first?), but the benefit of those is questionable.

The process of entering the "Artorias of the Abyss" DLC areas is also quite tricky.

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
Lyric Suite
Did you return to the Asylum, and latter find way your :) into the "Painted World".

Figured out the way back Asylum by myself.
Although I did read that it's was possible, and thus was on the alert.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
(to wit: who ever managed to save Solaire without reading up on out to do it first?), but the benefit of those is questionable.
Funny story... I actually played through DS1 only once and killed Solaire immediately after meeting him for the first time, cause there was a ground sign that said "liar" and I didn't know yet that those were written by players, so I thought that information was 100% solid and acted on it... I don't even know why everyone talks about Solaire so much, all the sun bros etc...

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
it's best played offline unless you're a fan of MMO's (i.e. a fan of retards, hand-holding, spoilers, and griefing).

You have some bias and judge a mechanic by some negative associations. DS online mechanics include:
- blood spatters... you click on them and see the last few seconds of somebody's life who died on that spot recently.. this is handy and interesting, but nobody forces you to click on the blood spatters
- ground signs that can be helpful/interesting, but they're never out of character, cause they're composed out of a predefined selection of strings... nobody forces you to click on them though
- when human, you can be invaded or summon help to fight bosses if you want, it's also optional (except being invaded, but that can be avoided by being hollow)
- when hollow, you can put a sign on the ground, get summoned, help someone with a boss and become human for free (dying while being summoned will not make you lose souls, will not throw you back to the bonfire, etc, so there are only benefits to it)

Sorry, nothing about these mechanics have anything to do with what you listed. You can't even talk to people who you play with, all communication is through actions and a handful of gestures.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Sorry, nothing about these mechanics have anything to do with what you listed.

1. Except being invaded by some dick every time you try to enter a certain boss fight (or something - I read about this on a forum). That's griefing. Yes, yes, you can be hollow - but what if I don't want to?

2. "Helpful signs" do undeniably have something to do with hand-holding or spoilers.

3. So does a boss fight where all you do is run for cover while others take down a boss you shouldn't be able to defeat.

You can inform me about the game, but you don't have to lie about it while doing it.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
For the record, you can be invaded only as long as you didn't kill the boss of an area. You don't have to be hollow all of the time just to avoid getting invaded.

Also, in some areas you can get invaded by NPCs and you get substantial benefits for killing them. This is how you can get the Paladin armor for instance.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Sorry, nothing about these mechanics have anything to do with what you listed.

1. Except being invaded by some dick every time you try to enter a certain boss fight (or something - I read about this on a forum). That's griefing. Yes, yes, you can be hollow - but what if I don't want to?

2. "Helpful signs" do undeniably have something to do with hand-holding or spoilers.

3. So does a boss fight where all you do is run for cover while others take down a boss you shouldn't be able to defeat.

You can inform me about the game, but you don't have to lie about it while doing it.

1. Griefing is when the same person kills you over and over again for no reason other than to inflict grief. This cannot happen in DS, because you can't control who you invade, and once you kill someone, you're sent back to your world.
2. About the signs... ok, so you don't read the signs and find 0 invisible walls that are present in DS, miss on all the loot and characters that were just a hint away. Has your experience been more complete by you not finding it? Also curiously enough, some signs are left there by the devs. Oh the devs, the biggest spoiling jerks...
Also considering how the lore of the game is difficult to decipher on its own, I find it hard to believe that you'd be able to spoil a single piece of lore information as it is, let alone using the predefined strings. Go ahead, open the message menu and try to write something that would spoil it for somebody who just started the game. You won't be able to.
3. You're the one who complained about the bosses' difficulty and said you wanted them to be skippable, so I assumed you'd be interested in getting help. Now in your onlinenophobia, you're prepared to go back on your own words, it seems.

Also of note...
>"I don't want to play with other ppl cause they're immature retards"
>proceeds to acting like said retard by calling a liar someone who has been nothing but polite and patient despite your obvious mental issues

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Also of note...
>"I don't want to play with other ppl cause they're immature retards"
>proceeds to acting like said retard by calling a liar someone who has been nothing but polite and patient despite your obvious mental issues

I'm being psychoanalysed by an autistic faggot with a psycho avatar now? Just another day at the codex.

Did you know being a fag used to be categorised as a mental illness?

Since you make such a fuss about my behaviour, you should investigate your own. Spending a lot of time playing online games and getting emotional about them on a forum would indicate some type of autism, while being blind to your own shortcomings implies narcissism, and your Cthulhu avatar would have interested Freud.

I hope you live in a country with a good support system for mentally ill homosexuals who can't function socially, because you would no doubt qualify.

turul

Augur
I just want to hear about the best ones, the ones that are like good lovers or good dogs.

The newest game I've played (apart from Grimoire demo) is probably Two Worlds II from late 2010.

Here's a list of something like my top favorite games if you want to calibrate: Hordes of the Underdark (mostly for the atmosphere of playing without map), G2: Night of the Raven (atmosphere and challenging travel/exploration), Two Worlds (modern Diablo done well, although largely lacking in atmosphere if you compare with original Diablo), Dark Omen (proof that single player RTS can be great), Far Cry (played this on realistic and loved it), Doom (complex levels and OK atmosphere with Playstation version soundtrack), Deus Ex (played this on the hardest setting as well; I especially enjoyed the sneaking and the sense of challenge), TES: Arena (those dungeons, man!), Resident Evil (atmosphere and love the mansion), ADOM (roguelike that feels compact and well designed, at least compared with some of the competition).

I also don't mind trying strange games that don't fit a category and I don't mind trying games that are of different type than those I listed.

I don't like popamole shooters. I'm not a big fan of turn based combat (I think it's just not interesting enough considering how long it takes). I find RTS is usually disappointing in SP due to game being more complex than AI. Civ and Sims type games are great for a couple of days and then I grow weary of them. Morrowind was nice until you got to the part where you had to unite the different clans - ugh, what a chore. I don't like games that feel like a chore.

tl;dr I just want to hear about the best ones, the ones that are like good lovers or good dogs.

You haven't missed anything. I have a large library of all kinds of games and the ones I'm playing are at least 4 years old. It's really hard to point out a game, which I feel like money was well spent, since 2010.
I even have games, that I bought a few weeks ago, and haven't touched it, because somehow I have no desire to play it anymore, after seeing a few "let's play" videos of it. I can only blame myself for wasting my money, although I also don't pay full price for them. I get steam keys at various discount sites so the most I pay for them is usually no more than 50% of their Steam-price.
And I'm glad, that I only waste 15-20 dollars instead of 50 or 60. I would go nuts for paying that much for a piece of shit.

If I would probably raise out a few exceptions which are "worth checking out", I would recommend Attila: Total War, Kerbal Space Program and Divinity: Original Sin.
There may be a few more, but the rest are nothing, but Corridor: Shooter version 5 with 50 DLCs or I Want to be Oblivion: Let's milk that Cow.
Dark Souls 1-2 maybe, but it requires a special type of gamer. They are usually the ones with bored out of their mind and realize, they are as fucked up in real life as the story of the main zombie character.

Norfleet

roll dodging is like a fat Kwanzan trying to roll.
I would think that that being round would make you roll quite well, and if anything, would make that the default state of movement.

nomask7

Arcane
nomask7

Any :) updates on your journey through Lordran?

I put it on hold. I got PS3 for Demon's Souls and I think I want to play that first. It'll either be too much for me, in which case I'll continue my playthrough of Dark Souls from where I stopped and in the same manner, or if I finish Demon's Souls, I'll start Dark Souls from the beginning and play without savescumming and any info from walkthroughs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom