Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic: The shitstorm goes on!

serch

Magister
Pluto 13 denies that all rights to future games in the Gothic universe are contractually granted to Jowood

Pluto 13 said:
Rights to „Gothic ®“
Essen, 2007-06-06 Regarding the rights to the “GOTHIC” series, statements and
incorrect reports have been published by the German and Austrian press. Pluto 13
GmbH has to clarify on this matter:
Specific rights to already or yet to be published games of the “GOTHIC” series were
contractually granted to JoWooD Productions Software AG, Austria. The same
applies to usage of the trademark “GOTHIC”. These contracts are extensive and
confidential.
Claims that all rights to all future games of the GOTHIC series have been exclusively
granted to any company are definitely wrong.
Pluto 13:
Pluto 13 GmbH
managing director: Michael Rüve
For further information please refer to: www.pluto13.de
Translation of originally German language press statement
~145 words – may be quoted free of any charge, copy kindly requested

link

Red Russian

Scholar
Okay, so this Pluto 13 hands out "contractual rights" to game companies like JoWood, so they in turn can hand over the development of the game to Piranhna?

Since the actual details are classified or what evah, does this mean that JoWood got contractual rights to develope the Gothics until further notice from Pluto 13?

Sorry. I'm a little confused here. :(

Section8

Cipher
Well, as far as I know, Pluto 13 are a parent company to Piranha Bytes. So in effect, I see this action as being:

Bitch, we made the motherfucking Gothic, true. You published the games for us, but you ain't all up in that motherfucker. We still own the rights.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wow, maybe there IS a Jehosephat up there in the sky!

Shit yeah, I'd take another game in the Gothic series if PB is doing it. Why the hell not? Even if it sucks, there's still the off chance that it won't, and I'd take a gamble on that.

Misanthrope

Novice
MessiahMan said:
Why the hell not?

Worst control scheme ever? Seriously Id love to see what the fuzz about Gothic is all about but I need a mod for all controls or something.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Misanthrope said:
Worst control scheme ever?

*Snicker* Oh man, do I ever agree with that. Gothic 2 fixed it up reasonably, though (added mouse clicks to be translated to sword swings, but it had to be set specially in options.) And the less said about Gothic 3's combat, the better.

Despite that, though, I'd still give Gothic 4 a slogging through...IF (and ONLY if) PB developed it.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Gothic 1 controls are for me the most briliant , used them in G2 , G3 sucked balls because of the diablo/oblivion bastard feel.
I would like another gothic game if it was made with soul and without compromise to catter to a broader audience that knows only to push left click/right click , aka brain dead people or Oblivion fanboys.

Kraszu

Prophet
Controls in gothic are fine, one of the best combat in action crpg it need some improvements but not in control.

I don't see haw controls could be problem to anybody. Inventory was better in g1 through then in g2 but in unlimited inventory also whit mouse you would not select what you want much faster as it scrolled whit keyboard anyway.

I use arrows to move and z/x to strafe attack/action whit ctrl+arrow, strafe + move to change position fast in combat, what is hard/bad about it?

Misanthrope

Novice
Kraszu said:
I use arrows to move and z/x to strafe attack/action whit ctrl+arrow, strafe + move to change position fast in combat, what is hard/bad about it?

1) I only remember Gothic 2 ( 1 was too long ago and I tried too little )

2) Its a 3D engine is it not? Mouse + Keyboard scheme. It is a logical and accurate scheme with many variants to accommodate any combat or moves. The hard/bad thing about it is that there is already a better control scheme and there is no option to choose.

To me Gothic 2 felt as dumb as playing FPS games on a console.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
OsirisGod said:
Gothic 1 controls are for me the most briliant , used them in G2
True! Keyboard only ftw. Worked great for me and was certainly better than the "l0l I can kill 100 enemies in melee because they'll wait for their turn of getting slaughtered" G3 system.

Kraszu

Prophet
Misanthrope said:
1) I only remember Gothic 2 ( 1 was too long ago and I tried too little )

Actually G2 have mouse + keyboard controls by default.

Misanthrope said:
2) Its a 3D engine is it not? Mouse + Keyboard scheme. It is a logical and accurate scheme with many variants to accommodate any combat or moves.
The hard/bad thing about it is that there is already a better control scheme and there is no option to choose.[/quote]

You need mouse accuracy whit range weapon not whit sword, also you can't attack while moving whit sword so mechanics are completely diferent. I found it better to press right arrow + ctrl then left mouse button +d much easier to coordinate.

Misanthrope said:
The hard/bad thing about it is that there is already a better control scheme and there is no option to choose.

Well it is in G2. G1 controls or mouse + keyboard.

Misanthrope said:
To me Gothic 2 felt as dumb as playing FPS games on a console.

Compeering accuracy needed for cursor in fps to accuracy needed for turning in sword fight? :?

The best thing about Gothic fight through is that it is timed based, you don't have to act quick to fight good just in right time. The main problem whit Gothic fight is that it has no collision detection.

Section8

Cipher
I'd love a better Gothic 3, but honestly, I'd rather see what else Piranha Bytes have up their sleeves.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Gothic 1 and 2 (set to classic) had great control schemes that make me wonder why the game wasn't ported to consoles in an effort to get more sales. Nothing would have had to be changed, the scheme was so ingenious that it required very few keystrokes for tons of actions. Very intuitive!

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Gothic was developed for a console.
For reasons I am not entirely certain about, it was released on the PC instead. A developer once seemed to insinuate that they couldn't get it to run properly on the intended platform.

serch

Magister
I spotted this at RPG Watch, furthering the story:

RPG Watch

JoWood at Gamestar said:
JoWooD currently holds the exclusive usage rights for the "Gothic" brand. (1)

After the failure of the negotiations with Pluto 13 only JoWooD is allowed to produce the game Gothic 4 with another development studio and publish it worldwide.

Pluto 13 is not authorized to develop and release a Gothic game at the present time.
JoWooD owns the exclusive worldwide publishing right for conversions of Gothic 3 or Gothic 4 to other platforms.
JoWooD owns the exclusive worldwide publishing rights for Gothic 4 add-ons [plural; ed.]. Pluto 13 "will receive the first option" (*) to develop the add-on [singular; ed.] for JoWooD.
"With regard to a possible Gothic 5 Pluto 13 potentially has certain rights." (**) "But at any rate JoWooD has at least a first option right (*) and a last option right (**) to publish this game worldwide , too." (2)
Furthermore JoWooD refused to comment on the Gothic 3 add-on.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
Does it really matter what will happen with Gothic franchise next? Story of nameless hero played out already. It's time for something different. And I've read rumours that PB is working on a new game right now. To think of it it's the only reasonable option for them left.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ander Vinz said:
Does it really matter what will happen with Gothic franchise next? Story of nameless hero played out already. It's time for something different. And I've read rumours that PB is working on a new game right now. To think of it it's the only reasonable option for them left.

PB won't work on it, because JoWood canceled their deal with them.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Ander Vinz said:
Re-read my post please and apply logic if it isn't inconvenient to you. It's not about another Gothic game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ander Vinz said:
JarlFrank said:
Ander Vinz said:
Re-read my post please and apply logic if it isn't inconvenient to you. It's not about another Gothic game.

Then I've interpreted it wrongly.
Well, they making a new game is the most logical step for them. I hope they're going to find a pubisher. A good one, also.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom