Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Blackguards 2

Ninjerk

Arcane
Intent almost pierces the membrane of presentation in some cases, like the sentence describing what strikes me as a godawful 'regen after fight' mechanic or this particularly pleasant line:

...Cassia is gifted a reasonably loyal group of devoted fanatics...

But, overall, quite the nice read!

Especially lines like this one:

...You can select two of these mercenaries, drawn from an infinite supply, to accompany your party of four into most battles, though for the really big set pieces (the kind where 25 enemy units all take their turns while you read a good book and enjoy yourself splendidly) you are allowed to bring more....

Gonna go snoop the neogaf thread, see how low their balls hang.

EDIT: Not much butthurt, pretty tame thread. Tho this guy is... neat.

Duck guy from neogaf said:
I was not familiar with RPGCodex, the writer, Blackguard, or even what type of game Blackguard is. I have no idea what a "flat absorption + percentage reduction hybrid system" is. When the article paints a positive tone about a change to "purely percentage based resistances" (I don't know what that means, either) to accommodate "neophyte" (I don't know the site's general attitude towards casual players) who couldn't make sense of the system in the first game (I don't know how complex the first game is), I couldn't decide whether that's sarcasm or not.

Obviously, it's an article written for a very specific audience. I simply dislike how eager it is to demonstrate wit through sarcasm.

How the hell do you not know what "flat absorption + percentage reduction" or "purely percentage based resistance" means?
Could mean anything really

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
I'm confused. Did he like it or not? I need a score.
2009_08_02_mozart_inedit.jpg

Feel better ?

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Great review. You've got fantastic understanding of English to write such a charming witty piece...

I'm lucky to order meals correctly in another language.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could write a long post about the game and this review, but I will resort to this:

Attributes have been removed.

article-2138678-12E016DA000005DC-115_306x423.jpg

Great work, Bubbles. :bro:

EDIT: I was not aware, German people were capable of such subtlety. Well done. :salute:

Last edited:

Amasius

Augur
Now this was quite a masterpiece of subtle sarcasm. To bad it was wasted on a review for a shitty sequel posted on an obscure website. Ahem, I can't wait for Bubbles' next review! :salute:

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
how's the German-language voicework (is Blackguard voiced? I never really gave the first a chance)? I really couldn't stand ME's German localization, but The Witcher Enhanced's version of Geralt auf Deutsch was one of my favorite performances in a game, so I dunno what to think of the state of that industry.

GloomFrost

Arcane
Great review, thank you. One of the funniest I ve ever seen. BUT........ you must stop calling BlackGuards 2- BG2!!!!!! This is blasphemy!!!! Please stop!!!

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't understand :( the tone is positive while describing features that seem shit to me even though I barely played the 1st game, sometimes I can tell he's being sarcastic, sometimes I don't know because I don't know the previous game. So I guess the game is shit? I feel like an idiot.

Weasel
I don't understand :( the tone is positive while describing features that seem shit to me even though I barely played the 1st game, sometimes I can tell he's being sarcastic, sometimes I don't know because I don't know the previous game. So I guess the game is shit? I feel like an idiot.

Surpringly common feedback from those unfamiliar with Bubbles and his posting history. The forthcoming Enhanced Edition of the review will include this helpful guide for new players:

Rlqm4Ju.jpg

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm confused. Did he like it or not? I need a score.

He loves it a lot , almost as much as Elderscroll online .

Now thats some good review, would read more. DU , share some of your ugly ads incomewith him, cause thats a lot of work to write all of that, brofists arent enough.Better than professionnal reviews to be honest, hard work has to be repaid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom