Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Direction of Gaming

DiverNB

Liturgist
I may be throwing myself to the wolves here, but what the hell, I figured that my bullshitting can't be worse than anybody else's on this forum (Though I'm sure many of you probably think I'm wrong)

Where is gaming going? To me, it always seemed so obvious. I thought, that as time progresses, playing new games in the future will be able to give me a deeper and more meaningful experience than the games that I have played in the past. Recently, however, I have not been so sure of this theory of mine

First, let me break any misconceptions you may have about me. I am not some ancient Role-player that used to play PnP D&D or Shadowrun or any of those games before video games were created into graphical experiences. I'm 18, and I'll be straight up honest, I thought Morrowind was my first RPG experience (Although I'm sure some of you will challenge that it is in fact an RPG). I loved it and everything about it, I felt like I couldn't get any deeper of a game than that, then again, I was 15 or 16 when it came out, and we all make dumb mistakes in our youth right? (Hell, I still will most likely)

I'm not here to give my personal history and blah blah blah, but to make a long story short I discovered on teh intarwebz that there were deeper role playing games than Morrowind and KOTOR. Hell, I remember buying into the hype surrounding Oblivion. I distinctly remember finding this site and saw so many people putting down the game that I said "FUCK THOSE GUYS" and proceeded back to my Bethsoft can do no harm world. Imagine my surprise a week after the game came out to find that pretty much everyone here was right. The choices and role-playing options in the game were garbage.So needless to say, when I played Fallout, Baldur's Gate, and Torment my old theory was pretty much shattered and broken. These three series (Well, a single game in Torment's case) managed to shock me. Here I am playing older games, and yet, somehow, by the grace of God, they're a better role-playing experience than these current games.

Now, please don't get me wrong when I say things like that. I am by no means proclaiming myself a role-playing aficionado, or the end all be all awesome CRPG gamer.It was just so damn shocking to my naive attitude back then. (Well, 2-3 years ago. But it feels like a long time ago)

So that brings me back to the question of "Where the fuck is the gaming industry going, better yet, what the hell has it done to itself?"

It seems to me, that, in it's current state, the industry is actually going backwards. Horse armor, the Orrerry that was already in the damn game, and on a somewhat unrelated note, the new Shadowrun game. They butchered the shit out of it, I mean I know it's an FPS but did they really have to screw the universe that badly? On tope of it all, the damn thing is strictly online with hardly shit for content in the actual game. 12 maps for 50-60 bucks? Get the hell out of here.

And now everyone is bitching about TBC and how it's out dated. What makes a combat system "out dated"? The fact that it is too complex for new gamers that just want to kamikaze and blow the shit out of everything? I just don't know anymore. Action combined with RPG now a days seems to lean far to heavily on the action side of things. I mean, Shadowrun on the Genesis combined it to a decent degree without it becoming a mindless blast fest, why can't developers do the same thing now?

So why did I post this many of you are probably asking. I don't blame you, a newbie coming here posting some long ass message that has already been said before most likely. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that I wanted to show that not all younger gamers are idiots that think Oblivion is zomg awesome RP. Maybe I just needed to vent to people that seem to understand the way I feel. Either way, I hope that something good comes out of the future, cause past Bioshock I don't see much.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
DiverNB said:
Where is gaming going?

ds_kid_shit.jpg

DiverNB

Liturgist
Heh, fair enough. It certainly seems that way doesn't it? Everyone claims there shit is grittier and darker than any other title that has been out for the past 20 years, when in reality, it's dumbed down to borderline idiocy.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I have to admit I haven't done much research on AoD. I guess I'll check it out and hope for the best.

Welcome to the Codex. Pull up a rocking chair and enjoy yelling at the kids to "GET THE FUCK OFF OUR LAWN!".

In all seriousness, welcome to the enlightened side of things.

Krafter

Scholar
You've heard this a million times before, but gaming has gone "Hollywood" on us.

The target audience is no longer 34 year old college graduates, but ADD 13 year olds. If you follow the "big" stuff like Gamespot, IGN, ect. you are going to get the mass market line. Think of it like watching entertainment tonight to try and discover what movies are good. Yeah, probably not a good idea.

There are going to be good games, just like there are still good movies and good music being made. Just have to look a little harder, is all.

Welcome to the Codex. :)

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Another brainwashing victim courtesy of the Codex! WOO HOO!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
DiverNB said:
So why did I post this many of you are probably asking. I don't blame you, a newbie coming here posting some long ass message that has already been said before most likely.
Well, we like this message much more than this one, to tell you the truth.

Welcome to the forums. The best we have to offer is here.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey welcome. And I still say, after reading that thread, that Todd Howard hates kikes and niggers, and rapes puppies (I seen it! Yeah, and masturbated to it...) Also, welcome once more to the final level of what we like to call hell. As they say, Ignorance is bliss, and you've just been woken from a dream where you knew nothing. It's called hell, because you can now predict the future, and know that it sucks, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Texas Red

Whiner
Oblivion, it seems, converted many with its ludicrous hype and actual dream-shattering reality. If you read even forums such as Gamespot/FAQ you will see that a large number of people dislike the game unlike what the "official" "reviews" say. This begs the question if the said people will no more blidnly follow the hype and the paid off websites. Although frankly right now they still seem like idiots going "zomg crysis teh betterest gaem look at teh grafix its goty""

Section8

Cipher
So why did I post this many of you are probably asking. I don't blame you, a newbie coming here posting some long ass message that has already been said before most likely. I don't know. Maybe it's the fact that I wanted to show that not all younger gamers are idiots that think Oblivion is zomg awesome RP. Maybe I just needed to vent to people that seem to understand the way I feel. Either way, I hope that something good comes out of the future, cause past Bioshock I don't see much.

Welcome aboard, and honestly I don't think many younger gamers are the idiots Bethesda et al perceive them to be. There's a big difference between having limited experience with games, and having such a limited mental capacity that you require prompting at every step along the way.

Oh and don't click Lyric Suite's link above. Pretty sure it's tubgirl.

MINIGUNWIELDER

Scholar
Shadowrun doesn't suck in anything other than the story department(It's a Microsoft "Brand Strength Analysis"(I know, I used to have a friend who worked for them, and horribly another who worked with EA Which is incredibly fucking stupid because these dumbass business majors think of gaming like a business just like treating .com like a business worked out, eventually when these stupid fuckwits are old they will be in some field of politics)

and multiplayer (No you stupid fucks, you do not counter shitty popular build #1 with shitty pop build #1 , but eventually the law of continual fads will take effect and we will have co-ordinated clans going like a well oiled machine, and the stupid bastiches will move on to the next game.)

whitemithrandir

Erudite
MINIGUNWIELDER said:
Shadowrun doesn't suck in anything other than the story department(It's a Microsoft "Brand Strength Analysis"(I know, I used to have a friend who worked for them, and horribly another who worked with EA Which is incredibly fucking stupid because these dumbass business majors think of gaming like a business just like treating .com like a business worked out, eventually when these stupid fuckwits are old they will be in some field of politics)

and multiplayer (No you stupid fucks, you do not counter shitty popular build #1 with shitty pop build #1 , but eventually the law of continual fads will take effect and we will have co-ordinated clans going like a well oiled machine, and the stupid bastiches will move on to the next game.)

Everytime I hop into a game on Shadowrun and find my team getting rolled with 5 bodies on the floor and no one ressing, all i have to do is spectate the next guy who's an elf with a katana, and say, "Oh, that's why he didn't buy res, dumbfuck".

Too many elves with katanas think they're hot shit, when in fact, they contribute next to nothing for the team.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
@OP

istockphoto_1073877_down_the_drain.jpg

Oh, and you should go play some -really- old games. I mean, Baldur's Gate? Hah, come on, I distinctively remember how it was when it was released, and reading reviews about it. Go play Realms of Arkania 2 and Ultima 7.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Hah, thanks for all the welcomes. And Tubgirl isn't anything new to me, so that wasn't too bad. I know I've only played BG, and FO and to me they're a tad older because I pretty much didn't know how to correctly operate a PC at the time of their release. So suggestions of even older games (Like the Ultima 7 suggestion) are always nice to hear.

As far as the whole Gaming going Hollywood, I have to say that does seem very much like the truth. I'm not sure how many of you are console gamers as well, but recently Armored Core 4 was released and it was dumbed down from the original game series. Games these days just have no lasting effect, you burn through and see all they have to offer in one play through. Saddening it is.

DiverNB

Liturgist
Seeing the "Why we Hate X game" list also made me remember NWN. The first game itself was barely tolerable to me, I couldn't even make it through the two different expansions. Kind of makes me wonder why I bought the second game, it so was hideously boring and cliche. I didn't have the strength or the willpower to finish it. I also remember how delightfully horrible the beginning was...

After a long fun day your town gets its shit ruined by some mysterious force that only your stepfather knows about. In the attack several people are injured.

You meet Wounded rival family member X
Save him
Kill him
Leave

Yick, that will probably be the last title I buy for a while.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
Play Arcanum and Gothic while you are at the stage of discovering things you missed in the past due to falling
for the mainstream(Gothic imho beats the shit out of
Morrowing , but that's a subjective point).

Nedrah

Erudite
OsirisGod said:
Play Arcanum and Gothic while you are at the stage of discovering things you missed in the past due to falling
for the mainstream(Gothic imho beats the shit out of
Morrowing , but that's a subjective point).

Seconded. You owe it to yourself to play Gothic 1 and 2 - preferably in that order, as the first one might seem a bit limited or primitive after the second game with its expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom