Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PoE Reviews

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
All that remains is the player taunting enemies and exploiting the ai at no risk to the player.

No it just removes shit gameplay. If you wanna prevent kiting the proper way in real-time - have units get tired and slow down after moving in combat for a certain amount of time, with a cooldown timer on when they can move quick again. Ding. Kiting problem solved.

GrainWetski

Arcane
I'm a decent Moba player (Plat 1 on LoL \ Rank 16 Hots) and i still think i'll use a more static playstyle for this game, more turn-based like, engagement system or not. Dunno why, tho

You meant to say that you're shit at them because you play the 2 easiest and most dumbed down games in the genre, right?

Why do people care about reviewers, again?

If Shitaku praises the game, the writing must be a massive turd of shitty pandering.
Because that means more sales and PoE will have expansions and PoE2 will have a bigger budget. Also it shows idiots that are making SCL that games like PoE sell more than their MMO like bullshit.

Bigger budget means a need for a bigger audience. It's a road that eventually leads to action games pretending to be RPGs like Witcher 2 and BioWare's trash.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
I'm a decent Moba player (Plat 1 on LoL \ Rank 16 Hots) and i still think i'll use a more static playstyle for this game, more turn-based like, engagement system or not. Dunno why, tho

You meant to say that you're shit at them because you play the 2 easiest and most dumbed down games in the genre, right?

Why do people care about reviewers, again?

If Shitaku praises the game, the writing must be a massive turd of shitty pandering.
Because that means more sales and PoE will have expansions and PoE2 will have a bigger budget. Also it shows idiots that are making SCL that games like PoE sell more than their MMO like bullshit.

Bigger budget means a need for a bigger audience. It's a road that eventually leads to action games pretending to be RPGs like Witcher 2 and BioWare's trash.

If bigger budget means more funds allocated to the art department then I'm happy because thinking that PoE2 could have IWD-like aesthetics is making me drool. (yup, the lack of paint overs is kind of killing me)

Mazisky

Magister

Easy or not, movement in LoL is one of the bigger parts, that was the point.
Despite playing a game with high movement emphasis, i'll take an opposite approach for this game, that was the point part two.
There's no need to be mad\nerdy\ridicolous

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
damn, judging by these comments we can expect 90+ reviews from all these guys.
It would be hilarious if the game really got 90+ scores from some well known sites. And the triple AAA publishers would be like WTF, why does our games only get 70-80%?

hiver

All that remains is the player taunting enemies and exploiting the ai at no risk to the player.

No it just removes shit gameplay. If you wanna prevent kiting the proper way in real-time - have units get tired and slow down after moving in combat for a certain amount of time, with a cooldown timer on when they can move quick again. Ding. Kiting problem solved.
Solving nonsense with nonsense.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer
I wish my funbuilding series will sometimes grow big enough to merit review copies. It's not even about having to pay money for the games - it's just that people want to read such guides as soon as they launch the game and, well, you want to make those as fast as humanely possible.
My advice (and maybe you have already done this) is just to ask a bunch of different publisher/develpoers for review code. Show them what you have been working on and tell them what you are trying to achieve. Have a bunch of content for publishers/developers to review will give them a good idea of what you will actually do with their review code.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
My advice (and maybe you have already done this) is just to ask a bunch of different publisher/develpoers for review code. Show them what you have been working on and tell them what you are trying to achieve. Have a bunch of content for publishers/developers to review will give them a good idea of what you will actually do with their review code.

Haven't tried it, tbh, but I don't think I'm big enough (yet) to merit such thing. Besides, Obsidian are kinda huge and it's even hard to imagine whom would you write for that sort of thing.

badler

Obsidian Entertainment
Developer

Haven't tried it, tbh, but I don't think I'm big enough (yet) to merit such thing. Besides, Obsidian are kinda huge and it's even hard to imagine whom would you write for that sort of thing.

support@obsidian.net

We go through that box fairly regularly.

Whiran

Magister
All of these "leaks" about Pillars of Eternity are seeming rather... suspicious.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian told them they could do it (read encouraged) if the tweets / comments were positive.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
All of these "leaks" about Pillars of Eternity are seeming rather... suspicious.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian told them they could do it (read encouraged) if the tweets / comments were positive.

More likely the game is so good that they're willing to risk their jobs to tell us about it.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Why not make combat more realistic? Taunting in combat never helped the people who taunted, only when theirs opponents won, they were killed.

In normal code you might program it as a reduction of skill inversely related to skill (This means high skill no reduction.). And increase in critical hit ratio for attacks by person who was taunted. Well this is obviously not in favor of person who was taunting.

Rhalle

Magister
So it is loaded with bugs and the last 1/4 of it is clearly unfinished and it sprints to an unsatisfying "ending"?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Hope you've got a review code so you can get an early start on your PoE review, Bubbles.

The Codex frowns upon playing review copies before the day 1 patch is released. And of course the review is in far more capable and objective hands than mine.

hemtae

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Is obsidian planning a big day one patch or is the review copy pretty much the release version?

The changelog for the latest beta update mentioned a day one patch.

Hey, everyone. Backer Beta 480 should be live for all OSes. This is going to be the last update to our backer beta. If you are worried that your feedback and bugs won't have time to be integrated into the game, don't be. We are going to be creating patches for day one and beyond, so any feedback you give now may go into those patches.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I am happy to report that the PoE review copy has gone to our good friend Sensuki :bounce:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
^But it's not being used for review purposes, so nobody get excited.

The Codex review will be of the same final version that everybody else gets.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Bubbles why did you do that? You must known what would happen.

polo

Magister
So sensuki is not going to log on the forums for some months righ? SA people will cheer and celebrate this day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom