Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gangland

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
New Action/RPG hybrid thingie coming out. Looks interesting. Thought I'd post the site for it, so here it is. :)

I'm a sucker for gangster stuff. ;)

EEVIAC

Erudite
I knew I'd heard the name "Whiptail Interactive" before, they're the makers of Blade And Sword. I don't like the idea of "making a family from 20 unique characters" either, I'd rather roll my own. It looks a lot like an action game with some management options.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
EEVIAC said:
I don't like the idea of "making a family from 20 unique characters" either, I'd rather roll my own.

Meh. I would too, but this looks cool. Besides, haven't seen a good gangster game since Gangsters 2. Hope this will fill the void. :)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
EEVIAC said:
I don't like the idea of "making a family from 20 unique characters" either, I'd rather roll my own.

Meh. I would too, but this looks cool. Besides, haven't seen a good gangster game since Gangsters 2. Hope this will fill the void. :)

Play Mafia. NOW.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Actually, I have played Mafia, but I was referring to more along the lines of a strategy game like this is. Well, sorta, in a hybrid kind of way. :P

Edit: And I did love Mafia. Much better than GTA3 IMO.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Ah, ok then :)

Strangely i could never get into Gangsters. The first time i tried it i wasn't into strategy. The second the computer i had at the time didn't get along with the game. The other day i considered passing by my local games retailer but it was unavailable. Hopefully Gangland gets my attention in every possible way, i am interessed in it.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Role-Player said:
Strangely i could never get into Gangsters.

I loved the first one. There were things I wish could have been in it that weren't, but what game doesn't have that fault? :P The second one added some of the things I had wanted, but just didn't have the love involved that the first one did. It was like they just rushed a sequel to make money from the fame of the first one. :?

Ausir

Arcane
Rabid Dogs 2 might be a good gangsta tactical RPG if it ever gets published...

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Ausir said:
Rabid Dogs 2 might be a good gangsta tactical RPG if it ever gets published...
OMG. The first part was a total disaster. Even recently they tried to sell a different game on the same engine (fortunately, I can't remember the title). I hope they make an entirely new engine and take it easy on the cutscenes.

EEVIAC

Erudite
Games Domain have just posted a preview of Gangland. Here's some interesting tidbits :

If you've been playing games for a while, you might remember Bullfrog's masterpiece action-strategy hybrid Syndicate, released on the PC and a variety of other platforms around 1993. Though Gangland has a very different setting to Syndicate's Blade Runner-inspired future world, the play style of the two games has a lot in common. This is by no means a bad thing, because there really hasn't been a great deal of development in the genre in the last 10 years.

Eventually you'll even be able to marry and have children, whom you'll be able to send out to do your dirty work for you. Word on whether they'll go crazy in Sonny Corleone style remains to be seen. We can only hope.

I loved Syndicate and making a comparison between the two games is about as big a compliment they could have given.

EvoG

Erudite
I was hot on gangland...until I played th demo. Control is very awkward, and combat(which is primarily all there is to the game on a fundamental level) plays out like C&C, so have fun. :(

Cheers

EvoG

Erudite
Oh, I encourage playing the demo first if you THINK you want to buy this game. The trailer sells the game right, and it looks exciting, but this is one of those titles that you'll want to actually play.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
I agree. But some people don't have the connection nor the patience to download 50meg demos, let alone a 120+ demo. I had the demo a week ago when Avault posted it on their site and I'm quite pleased with it. Those who can download it, I recommend to do so.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
I agree with EvoG on the control part. It does feel awkward, and combat is too 'meh'. I had problems identifying where gunshots were coming from at times, and i almost wished for a pause feature to get my bearings on the situation (something the camera control stubbornly hampered).

Maybe its just the demo. Maybe. But i wouldn't put much hope into it. We'll see.

EvoG

Erudite
I've said this on DaC I believe...when you're dealing with a CORE gameplay fundamental, the demo DOES represent the final product, or else, what are you demoing? So what you're playing in this demo is the real deal...game went gold a few days ago.

I agree RoleP., ironic that for once we WANT the pause/play. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom