Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

Hormalakh

Magister
I'm apologizing for nothing. It's clear that PoE is not the good, elegant game I was hoping it could be, and it's partially Josh's fault (mostly the fault of others though).

.....WOW. This has to be kept for posterity. Good on you for admitting you were wrong though.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Considering Roguey seems to have hyped it up to be the second coming: Yes, yes it is clear.

Also it's not even that good on its own merits.

I always said it would be a blueprint. However, as a blueprint it's still flawed. :smug:

And how would one do this?
The discussion I was following on badgame involved two people who didn't quite know what they were talking about, soz. Can't escape the gold cost of researching the spell before you cast it.

It's not all that different from identify/stoneskin taking away 100/250 gold every time you cast it in ToEE.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Roguey: you didn't reply.
I don't quite understand the question. I thought Pillars had the possibility of being good, however, Josh's insistence on catering to Tamerlanes and including per-encounters make it not-good. Probably better than any other RPG I've played, but not good.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Roguey: you didn't reply.
I don't quite understand the question. I thought Pillars had the possibility of being good, however, Josh's insistence on catering to Tamerlanes and including per-encounters make it not-good. Probably better than any other RPG I've played, but not good.

The question is pretty straight-forward: why is it clear that Pillars is not the good, elegant game you wanted it to be? Only because of per-encounters or?

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is there any official word on the creeping stats bug? No wonder combats are getting so much easier. Don't want to stop playing but this seems like a slight dealbreaker.

Any talk of a Week One Patch at all, in fact?
Rumor is that 1.03 gets rolled out tomorrow. My understanding is that the patch mainly adresses technical stuff tho, like 32bit os support and infinite looping sounds.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Alright,i'm getting sick of the dialogue in this game ,the main problem is the way they are describing what the npc does while you talk to them and they are fucking overdoing it.I don't care if he's picking his nose while he talks to me,i don't care if she's fingering herself while talking to me(or maybe i do).
It kinda goes like this (it's a prototype) ''Hey you! yelled a good looking woman at you,with blue eyes,two moles on her cheeks,some food stuck between her teeth I require your assistance she's giving you a strong gaze ,while she's fingering herself and picking her nose,yet you feel both disgusted and weirdly attracted to this woman....'' And this is how most of the dialogue in this game goes,its full of useless information.

Planescape did this ,but it was intersting ,it's a mysterious universe and they didnt need to use a huge amount of pompous words to describe a character,it was simple ,yet beautiful.I don't need you tell me in an edgier way of how someone is walking down the hall,for fuck sake.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Is there any official word on the creeping stats bug? No wonder combats are getting so much easier. Don't want to stop playing but this seems like a slight dealbreaker.

Any talk of a Week One Patch at all, in fact?
It certainly wasn't ideal to release the game on a Friday. But do keep in mind all the crunch time the dudes at OE invested to put all those bugs into the release. They deserve their party-weekend. (Seriously, many of the bugs supposedly were not in the last beta versions. If it's easy to patch, I expect a hotfix for the most serious stuff on Monday. If you want a bug-minimized experience, wait for the complete version with both expansions. Otherwise, end of this week or next week should provide a safely playable version. Fingers crossed.)

And how would one do this?
The discussion I was following on badgame involved two people who didn't quite know what they were talking about, soz. Can't escape the gold cost of researching the spell before you cast it.

It's not all that different from identify/stoneskin taking away 100/250 gold every time you cast it in ToEE.
No sweety, you said:
You can use that meteor spell perfectly fine for free from that specific grimoire. If you want the freedom to be able to place it in any other grimoire, you have to pay the price.
To which I pointed out:
Possible mild spoiler:
OAqxFUT.jpg
So the only spells that show up are those that Aloth actually knows...:M

Kym2zjH.png

ybfDpGA.png
Which means that one can in fact not "use that [meteor] spell perfectly fine for free from that specific grimoire".

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alright,i'm getting sick of the dialogue in this game ,the main problem is the way they are describing what the npc does while you talk to them and they are fucking overdoing it.I don't care if he's picking his nose while he talks to me,i don't care if she's fingering herself while talking to me(or maybe i do).
I think the descriptive text is lovely. It only bugs me when mixed in with VA dialogue, since my natural inclination is to read along with the voice acting ... but if text-only is mixed in with the spoken lines, this is impossible.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
It's clear that PoE is not the good, elegant game I was hoping it could be, and it's partially Josh's fault (mostly the fault of others though).

Well, I told you so.

The game (I can't stress this enough) is still great. Look at Fallout/2: They were loaded with bugs even in their final official versions, S.P.E.C.I.A.L. was unbalanced as Hell, 2/3 of the skills and perks were marginal or useless, and while the turn-based combat was serviceable, it left much to be desired—the abysmal companion AI, for a start.

If PoE had been designed as a turn-based game free of Josh's convoluted attempts to rigorously balance stats and abilities, if the companions had been more interesting, and frankly (this is just my opinion) if the economy weren't so obviously choked and throttled and bottlenecked at every turn to ensure you can only eke out a few good things here and there because BALANCE (and because the game is designed by default to curtail min-maxers and cheesers, thus annoying the crap out of people who don't do those things), PoE would be a near-perfect cRPG.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
and because the game is designed by default to curtail min-maxers and cheesers

That may have been the intent, but min-maxing and cheesing are not particularly difficulty now either. The change to the attribute system midway through the beta created some obvious dump stats depending on your combat role, and it's min-max heaven from there on out.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Since Josh is right, let's see a screenshot of a combat log in which an enemy suffers Disengagement attacks. So far, Codexers who scrutinize the combat log (myself included) seem to have missed them.

I don't like engagement system (or Josh for that matter) but fair is fair:

Po_Escr3.jpg

Happened only once so far but hey, it happened. No idea why, I didn't try to manipulate it or anything, Revenant just exploded suddenly.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Maerwald is the game's deepest low point writing-wise so far. See my posts on the subject earlier in the thread. The game asks you to take your first personalized step into this role it has bestows upon you, and the first choice consists of three poorly contextualized and vague options that you have no meaningful connection to.
I guess you've thought about it more than I have. Superficially at least, he does a good job at what I think he's supposed to do: show you how fucked up it is to be a Watcher. Also some nice glimpses into local history, but that's by the way.

The only thing that stuck in my craw about his sequence is that
you're forced to kill him. I tried just walking out of there but combat wouldn't end even when he stopped chasing me. :decline:

The obvious thing to do is to chloroform him and put him in a bag until you can get the Watcher vaccine. Eh

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's clear that PoE is not the good, elegant game I was hoping it could be, and it's partially Josh's fault (mostly the fault of others though).

Well, I told you so.

The game (I can't stress this enough) is still great. Look at Fallout/2: They were loaded with bugs even in their final official versions, S.P.E.C.I.A.L. was unbalanced as Hell, 2/3 of the skills and perks were marginal or useless, and while the turn-based combat was serviceable, it left much to be desired—the abysmal companion AI, for a start.

If PoE had been designed as a turn-based game free of Josh's convoluted attempts to rigorously balance stats and abilities, if the companions had been more interesting, and frankly (this is just my opinion) if the economy weren't so obviously choked and throttled and bottlenecked at every turn to ensure you can only eke out a few good things here and there because BALANCE (and because the game is designed by default to curtail min-maxers and cheesers, thus annoying the crap out of people who don't do those things), PoE would be a near-perfect cRPG.
Yes. If PoE wasn't so mediocre it could be great :philosopher:

Athelas

Arcane
I am so glad I didn't back this game.

Fuck Obsidian.

:nocountryforshitposters:

They are considering giving in to SJW horseshit even though those fuckers likely didn't give them a dime.

Between all of their buggy games and shit excuses for why their games came out as such (It was Sega's/Bethesduh's/George Lucas's fault!) and the recent drama? I'm done with them.

Fuck Obsidian, I'm writing them off.
Well, PoE is their least buggy and most polished RPG (unless you count DS3 and South Park as RPG's).

Zombra

Patron
Is there any official word on the creeping stats bug? No wonder combats are getting so much easier. Don't want to stop playing but this seems like a slight dealbreaker. Any talk of a Week One Patch at all, in fact?
It certainly wasn't ideal to release the game on a Friday. But do keep in mind all the crunch time the dudes at OE invested to put all those bugs into the release. They deserve their party-weekend. (Seriously, many of the bugs supposedly were not in the last beta versions. If it's easy to patch, I expect a hotfix for the most serious stuff on Monday. If you want a bug-minimized experience, wait for the complete version with both expansions. Otherwise, end of this week or next week should provide a safely playable version. Fingers crossed.)
Hey, don't get me wrong. My intention is not to be shrill or demanding, or to imply that Obsidian is bad. Just want to know what's up so I know how to plan my playtime over the next few days.

I did a little research. Obsidian forums are swamped right now - as in, I can't reliably connect - but there is a lot of buzz from both users and the mods at least. A patch is definitely in the works as we speak.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom