Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Dragon Age: Inquisition Thread

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
DLC...? wtf was this game about anyway?
It's about the Reapers Darkspawn invading the galaxy world and making it a shithole, so it's up to the Spectre Inquisitor (that's you!) to defeat them with the power of sticking his dick in everything his magic glowing hand.
What? I thought it was an epic quest to collect herbs and find shards.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Sykar

Arcane
Yep. And the quality of the writing has been dropping each game.

I doubt it. Some of youse are so triggered by Bioware that you think their latest release is "their worst yet" until the next one as if their nadir wasn't NWN OC.
Well, for what it's worth, I love DA:O, ME1 and ME2 and think they are all better than NWN OC.

That's hardly an accomplishment though, considering how utterly retarded the OC is.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Thank God Bloodborne is out and scholar of the first sin next week, i don't have to play this till witcher 3

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DLC review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-25-dragon-age-inquisition-jaws-of-hakkon-review

But for a DLC that promises a lot of story, some of it can seem fairly mundane. Perhaps it's a casualty of the fact that this new adventure has to work whether you have finished the central narrative or not, and so its story stakes never feel like they can reach or outdo that of your main campaign. While fans of Dragon Age lore will love reading the reams of new history that the add-on provides - it's clear that BioWare's writers have worked on this in earnest - more casual players may struggle to care about yet another sorting out of yet another set of squabbling natives.

Thankfully, a lot of this is counterbalanced by a more relaxed script, peppered with humour and in-jokes for fans to smile at. Pleasingly, BioWare has brought back the full voice cast of all your followers' to record new dialogue, both during missions and for general party "banter". The new Viking-like tribe you befriend is well written and realised, as is the plucky professor you must help. But, best of all, fan-favourite side-character Scout Harding has been wisely promoted to a more prominent role (although she's still not romanceable).

It's impressive to see how well the new area fits into the main game, going beyond the expected smattering of new weapons, armour and materials by looping new missions into old quest chains, adding fresh War Table operations and providing new customisation options for Skyhold. There's also a major new ability for your Inquisitor, a Rift-powered shield bubble that blocks all incoming projectiles and which can itself be upgraded further.

Jaws of Hakkon is recommended for players already at level 20 and up, which is where the game's current soft level cap will have already started to slow your progress, and it is clear from the difficulty of enemies you face that this is designed to be a very late or post-game experience. The add-on's ending boss fights are a particular challenge, and force you to juggle confined spaces, spawning mobs and a debilitating status effect.

Returning to Skyhold after playing the DLC I feel like it was an adventure worth taking, if not one that has particularly changed my Dragon Age experience in any meaningful way. And I think that this is perhaps the biggest problem - and maybe what fans saying this is simply "more of the same" might really mean. Beyond the moaning about collectibles, there is a desire to see Inquisition's world and story moved on in a memorable way. It's difficult to do that with any content that could still be played and set pre-finale (and difficult to talk about why that is until you've played it), but here's hoping that whatever DLC BioWare is working on next serves up a more meaningful mouthful of story.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thankfully, a lot of this is counterbalanced by a more relaxed script, peppered with humour and in-jokes for fans to smile at.
disgusted-dave-grohl-meme-generator-wtf-x_x-e4c910.jpg

AwesomeButton

Patron
Costs 15 EUR for Europe, because why convert prices, we charge arbitrary numbers anyway.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I'm interested in learning if it's "hard" or "game journalist hard." Maybe Bioware can steer this ship into the right direction, though chances are high they're just gonna scrap everything and start over with the next DA just like they've done twice already :lol:

Last edited:

turul

Augur
DLC review: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-25-dragon-age-inquisition-jaws-of-hakkon-review

But for a DLC that promises a lot of story, some of it can seem fairly mundane. Perhaps it's a casualty of the fact that this new adventure has to work whether you have finished the central narrative or not, and so its story stakes never feel like they can reach or outdo that of your main campaign. While fans of Dragon Age lore will love reading the reams of new history that the add-on provides - it's clear that BioWare's writers have worked on this in earnest - more casual players may struggle to care about yet another sorting out of yet another set of squabbling natives.

Thankfully, a lot of this is counterbalanced by a more relaxed script, peppered with humour and in-jokes for fans to smile at. Pleasingly, BioWare has brought back the full voice cast of all your followers' to record new dialogue, both during missions and for general party "banter". The new Viking-like tribe you befriend is well written and realised, as is the plucky professor you must help. But, best of all, fan-favourite side-character Scout Harding has been wisely promoted to a more prominent role (although she's still not romanceable).

It's impressive to see how well the new area fits into the main game, going beyond the expected smattering of new weapons, armour and materials by looping new missions into old quest chains, adding fresh War Table operations and providing new customisation options for Skyhold. There's also a major new ability for your Inquisitor, a Rift-powered shield bubble that blocks all incoming projectiles and which can itself be upgraded further.

Jaws of Hakkon is recommended for players already at level 20 and up, which is where the game's current soft level cap will have already started to slow your progress, and it is clear from the difficulty of enemies you face that this is designed to be a very late or post-game experience. The add-on's ending boss fights are a particular challenge, and force you to juggle confined spaces, spawning mobs and a debilitating status effect.

Returning to Skyhold after playing the DLC I feel like it was an adventure worth taking, if not one that has particularly changed my Dragon Age experience in any meaningful way. And I think that this is perhaps the biggest problem - and maybe what fans saying this is simply "more of the same" might really mean. Beyond the moaning about collectibles, there is a desire to see Inquisition's world and story moved on in a memorable way. It's difficult to do that with any content that could still be played and set pre-finale (and difficult to talk about why that is until you've played it), but here's hoping that whatever DLC BioWare is working on next serves up a more meaningful mouthful of story.
S2AjA4A.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I had a party of characters around level 22 and still found some of them challenging, but the development team has not increased the difficulty by introducing better tactics for the various enemies or by creating surprising new combinations for the groups.

Instead, BioWare has simply significantly increased the level of hitpoints on them all (a powerful Ogre has as much health as one of the first dragons in the core game), and at times that means many engagements turn into simple slugfests, with the player party and the enemies trading blows with limited tactical input until one of them losses all health.

welp never mind that then

Still probably gonna get DAI when it's heavily discounted. :troll:

pippin

Something tells me it will be -50% or more during summer sales, so probably you won't have to wait that much.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Something tells me it will be -50% or more during summer sales, so probably you won't have to wait that much.
As with DA2, I'm going to wait at least a year so it's fully patched and possibly bundled with DLC (though it probably won't be).

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Each update apparently breaks all mods, especially the latest one. So, yeah, waiting for it to be fully patched and with all the DLC released is probably the best way to play it, if one wants to play it at all.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
It's funny how teleporting or charm-personing enemies in PoE are being called "unfair" difficulty, while Bioware still happily applies HP bloat as their only difficulty scaling mechanic. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom