Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

LeJosh

Savant
How spoilerish has this thread become? I want to read up on everything but don't want to spoil myself.

It's ok really, just for the love of all that's holy don't click on any spoiler button.

Mazisky

Magister
Another bad review dragged the metacritic down to 90, hope it won't slide further. Even though reviews are kind of irrelevant, I would have liked to see the PoE do really well as a matter of symbolism. Maybe I'm more shocked than I should be because I haven't read game reviews in a while, but it's so unfair:

Pillars Of Eternity is brutally, and purposefully, difficult and if you’re anything other than an Infinity Engine veteran we advise playing on Easy – because even that is anything but. Especially when you consider that recovering after a battle is almost as complicated and stressful as the fight itself, as you need a proper rest at a well supplied camp to completely rerejuvenate yourself. (Or ideally your own customisable Suikoden II style castle, which you get access to fairly early on in the game.)

Pillars Of Eternity’s problem though is that while it’s an incredibly accurate recreation of late ’90s computer role-players it’s also an incredibly safe one. This is a common issue with Kickstarter games, where the backers demand everything to be exactly like it was in the old days. But the thing is the original games were incredibly ground-breaking and unpredictable in their day – and that’s the one element Pillars Of Eternity barely even attempts to replicate.

There are a few unusual races (mermaid-esque humanoids, for example) and a couple of unique characters classes (Chanters that sing stat and status-altering songs, and Ciphers that suck soul energy to cast as spells) but absolutely nothing that will rock the boat too much.

Cons: Plot and characters make little real impression and writing is overly serious. Zero innovation, even though the original games were known for it. Extremely difficult.

Score: 8/10

what the fug am I reading :( Who allowed this person to review vidya?

It's not that you wouldn't be justified in giving Eternity 8/10 on certain grounds, but God, these are not it.

Jesus Christ, those reviewers are really handicapped. Do they even played something else than puzzle bubble? holy god!

I'm on act 3, on HARD and the game was really easy, i think hard mode enemies shoudl be buffed, i only died twice in a location full of shadows on act 2. And i'm NOT an hardcore player, i only played baldur's gate (1) on default difficulty.

How the fuck this guy says it is hard even on easy, he probably didn't play the game at all.

Has this guy an e-mail? i wanna write him that he must also click buttons on mouse, not only rotating him.

And it is better for all that he leaves his reviewer job to go selling furniture newspapers on street

Last edited:

hiver

You dont need much might anyway.
Sure its a plus if you have more but its not necessary or unavoidable.

As far as i can see anything that raises deflection is closest to the "win stat" in the game.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
So bros, how did your solo PC fare against those 3 wolves in Valewood on Hard?

I had a level 2 Rogue, I stood in the doorway and abused the chokepoint so the Wolf couldn't knock me down before I killed at least one of the Young Wolves, I saved my Blinding Strike for the Wolf.

Xeon

Augur
Used a Spear with my Barbarian to take the Wolf, then the younger ones.

norolim

Arcane
I had a level 2 Rogue, I stood in the doorway and abused the chokepoint so the Wolf couldn't knock me down before I killed at least one of the Young Wolves, I saved my Blinding Strike for the Wolf.
Yeah, blinding the Wolf and positioning were the keys to my victory, too. I didn't abuse the doorway, though. Cipher's Eyestrike has the bonus of additional AoE blind with lower chance, so I positioned to get at least one young Wolf blinded as well and followed with a quick Mind Wave that floored one of the Young ones in addition to dealing good dmg to the Wolf. I still got knocked down after that but it was too little too late.

Generally my Cipher was very offensive and fast in this battle, which is exactly what I wanted this build to be. Nice.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
As far as i can see anything that raises deflection is closest to the "win stat" in the game.
Yeah, I made a fighter tailor-made for tanking, he had 133 deflection unbuffed. No one could hit him, not even the final boss minions or the endless paths boss (at least not with melee).

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Probably due to a bug though. Eder is currently bugged in my game as well, has around the same Deflection although I believe he's only supposed to have about 70.

25 + Level-1*3 + Stat Bonus + Wary Defender + Item Bonuses, etc

I think the Defender and / or Wary Defender talent bonus duplicates sometimes. Funnily enough it didn't happen in the beta. The Day 1 patch seems to have broken quite a few things.

Mazisky

Magister
Can someone explain me what i have to do for checking\noticing if i have bugged\buffed stats?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The process is quite simple:
- Are you having fun in combat?

If the answer is yes, then you have bugged stats and abilities that need balancing. Thankfully the next patch will fix this (bye bye Cipher)

hiver

Buggs or no buggs, deflection is the only stat that you really need. Its basically dodge that was made more valuable then anything else.

What that needs is more appropriate enemies that can bypass it, but would not be as effective against high DR builds.
And then make high DR take much less damage then it does now, for player and enemies too, of course.
And then make enemies that can bypass or lower-reduce high DR.

Put it in a blender and make it shaken, not stirred. With an olive on top.

Apexeon

Arcane
So bros, how did your solo PC fare against those 3 wolves in Valewood on Hard? My offensive cipher got his ass handed to him a few times until I found a way to deal with them. On the other hand the bandits in the same area were not a problem (I attempted them 4 times and won all 4 with much less trouble than I expected). I'm guessing a defensive fighter would have little trouble with the wolves. I tried a fighter character, but it was an offensive one and although it was still a difficult fight, I killed the wolves on my first attempt.

On Hard I beat the wolves with my fighter using Knockdown. I beat the Bears with the level 2 wizard and my level 2 Fighter.
Liking the Fighter so far. I play my games real slow :) like drinking fine wine go slow boys.
I made it to level 3 in 1 week.

I tried the barbarian and he was meh (gets smashed).

hiver

Who gives a flying fuck about beating three fucking wolves? Why the fuck are you people even playing this game?

Barbarian starts weak, but he dishes the most damage and crits later on when he gets more abilities. Pretty cool class really.
its just a shame that body movement is fucked up in this game.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Who gives a flying fuck about beating three fucking wolves? Why the fuck are you people even playing this game?

Barbarian starts weak, but he dishes the most damage and crits later on when he gets more abilities. Pretty cool class really.
What is best offense for barb, intelligence for abilities or might for packing a punch?

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
Probably due to a bug though. Eder is currently bugged in my game as well, has around the same Deflection although I believe he's only supposed to have about 70.
25 + Level-1*3 + Stat Bonus + Wary Defender + Item Bonuses, etc
I think the Defender and / or Wary Defender talent bonus duplicates sometimes. Funnily enough it didn't happen in the beta. The Day 1 patch seems to have broken quite a few things.

it's still very easy to create an iron wall. lvl5 minmaxed aedyran wild orlan with sword'n board (fine large shield) and wary defender is at a base deflection of 98 without any magical equip to boost per, res or int. add vigorous defense and defiant resolve the orlan is at 128def unbuffed for at least 10s after a will attack, though i don't know if buffs will stack in that situation. even without defiant resolve we're talking about 118def for 21s (maxed int) at lvl5 with poor man's equip. combined with the bad target resolution it's a bit off.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:rage:

Why is it not possible to tell Ethelmoer about the demonkid or Caedmon experimenting on people before engaging the kid in dialogue and unleashing rape in the asylum? FFS OBSIDIAN

hiver

What is best offense for barb, intelligence for abilities or might for packing a punch?
Neither. But between the two Might should be more important for combat. All enemies bunch up together so any default AoE size is enough.

Overall its better to invest in dex and resolve and shit to give you accuracy and deflection.
I dunno... maybe high intellect gives some dialogue options but those rarely matter that much. Mostly those are flavors to samey ol same - with few exceptions along the line.

My Barb is Deadfire archipelago raider with 14, 12, 15, 13, 10, 14 stats.

Abilities and skills you take, plus equipment; play a much bigger role then attributes.

- That 15 Dex made no difference through the beginning of the game, btw.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
:rage:

Why is it not possible to tell Ethelmoer about the demonkid or Caedmon experimenting on people before engaging the kid in dialogue and unleashing rape in the asylum? FFS OBSIDIAN

C&C!
They Command & Conquer the Asylum! :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom