Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Thread [Pre-Expansion]

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Thought it was based on Mechanic, Wish if finding traps and secrets had an exploration toggle like in NWN or just via a Perception check or something like in IE games.

Detection traps and hidden objects is 100% based on Mechanics and you need to be in stealth mode.

There is a base requirement of at least 1 in Mechanic for anything to happen. After that, it compares X (your mechanic skill) with Y (level of hidden object or trap) and adds 2 meters to that. There is no roll of dice or anything, it's either you get it or you don't, period.

As an example, if you have 5 mechanic and there is a trap level 4, you will detect it within 3m or something. If you have 3 mechanics and trap is level 5, you'll detect it when you're almost ontop of it.

As a side note, Mechanic also includes lockpicking.
This is a straight if you have X and lock is level X-n, you unlock it (no roll etc). If lock is level X+1, then you need X+1 lockpicks items to unlock it. If lock is level X+1+n, you're screwed no matter what.
Some doors REQUIRE specific keys too, just fyi.

Edit:
Do NOT put boots of supra-masta speed on your trap checker guy, especially on PotD, unless you micro really, really carefully. The "ticks" for checks are too slow for that kind of +3-5 speed and will not trigger "auto pause on discovery of hidden objects" properly, getting you one shot by the usual 390 traps that are all over the place.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I've just finished everything around Dyrford.

Suffice to say, I think it shows very much that this place was the backer beta area. It's of considerably higher quality than both Gilded Vale and Defiance Bay put fucking together.

Athelas

Arcane
I've just finished everything around Dyrford.

Suffice to say, I think it shows very much that this place was the backer beta area. It's of considerably higher quality than both Gilded Vale and Defiance Bay put fucking together.
It's actually the first content they made for the game, it was even part of the prototype. All the content in it was already there when the first backer beta launched, before any feedback. So logically it should be the weakest/most flawed content. :M

Last edited:

Xeon

Augur
Is there another approach to the Blood Legacy quest beside..

going there and killing everyone?

In the forest east of the town, in the Ogre cave, you can find a corpse with a key and clothes of the cult who kidnapped the daughter/niece of the noble. Tried infiltrating the cult similar to the Raedric's Hold in Gilded Vale second floor but didn't work.

Tried both entrances, the one in forest unlockable with the key you get from the corpse or from the broken tower entrance after killing the 2 cult guys. Doesn't depend on a skill check or a information or something or is it just a linear dungeon.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Not that I know of Xeon. The only real difference I can think of is:
Having a Cipher/Grieving Mother who can mind-wipe the girl. Otherwise, you have to kill her, let her kill the Noble; warn the noble about her and she will be sent to the Sanitarium.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
There is also
a special dialog if you're a priest Skaen, though don't think it opens up any new options after that, just couple dialog lines.
Haven't tried being Priest of Skaen AND using the clothes but doubt it does anything, which is weird since it'd be a nice option and they used that with Raedric hold too as an option.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It's actually the first content they made for the game, it was even part of the prototype. :M So logically it should be the weakest/most flawed content.

In my view, so far it's the only area that actually tried.

In Dyrford, for the first I saw my background actually do practical shit ([explorer] intimidating one of the brigands away from the drake egg).

In Dyrford, for the first time I saw a text adventure with more than just '1. Use your grappling hook 2. Jump across 3. Leave'.

In Dyrford, for the first time I saw something at least resembling a conspiracy.

In Dyrford, for the first time I saw some fucking interconnection between some questlines.

It was just a shame that I arrived there at level 10, so everything boiled down to select all -> left click + the conclusion of the blood legacy quest was so incredibly idiotic, I had to take a break after witnessing it, but otherwise, if only the rest of the game was like fucking Dyrford, I can imagine raging much less in this very thread.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Thought it was based on Mechanic, Wish if finding traps and secrets had an exploration toggle like in NWN or just via a Perception check or something like in IE games.

Detection traps and hidden objects is 100% based on Mechanics and you need to be in stealth mode.

There is a base requirement of at least 1 in Mechanic for anything to happen. After that, it compares X (your mechanic skill) with Y (level of hidden object or trap) and adds 2 meters to that. There is no roll of dice or anything, it's either you get it or you don't, period.

As an example, if you have 5 mechanic and there is a trap level 4, you will detect it within 3m or something. If you have 3 mechanics and trap is level 5, you'll detect it when you're almost ontop of it.

As a side note, Mechanic also includes lockpicking.
This is a straight if you have X and lock is level X-n, you unlock it (no roll etc). If lock is level X+1, then you need X+1 lockpicks items to unlock it. If lock is level X+1+n, you're screwed no matter what.
Some doors REQUIRE specific keys too, just fyi.

Edit:
Do NOT put boots of supra-masta speed on your trap checker guy, especially on PotD, unless you micro really, really carefully. The "ticks" for checks are too slow for that kind of +3-5 speed and will not trigger "auto pause on discovery of hidden objects" properly, getting you one shot by the usual 390 traps that are all over the place.
I rushed through the crit path originally and I'm still curioius: is there a pair of Boots of Speed before you get to Sun in Shadow? If so, where are they?

Suicidal

Arcane
Getting raped by wolves on Damned because their defensive stats are too high for me to hit them :mca:. Too reluctant to switch to hard out of fear that the game will become too easy after some points like all the other Kickstarter RPGs I've played so far. Why do I do this when I know that the main strengths of this game are not related to combat? I don't know, I guess I'm a fucking idiot.
Which 'uns?

The ones outside the first village in the forest where you find Durance. It's probably just me being underlevled, tho - my characters are lvl 2 with like 1% xp left till level 3 so I can just go do some quick non-combat quest or kill something more manageable (I completely skipped the area before the village cause my main char is not good solo material, so I could always go back there).

Also noone had yet answered my question: is it possible to see the base accuracy values of your attacks and spells other than in the combat log?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
It would be stupid if you only just reached max level by being a completionist.

No, it would be stupid reaching level cap by not being a completionist.
And what the fuck being a completionist really means?
Doing or trying to do all the game quests as they were intended to by being in the game in the first place?

Ninjerk

Arcane
I rushed through the crit path originally and I'm still curioius: is there a pair of Boots of Speed before you get to Sun in Shadow? If so, where are they?

:salute:

It would be stupid if you only just reached max level by being a completionist.

No, it would be stupid reaching level cap by not being a completionist.
And what the fuck being a completionist really means?
Doing or trying to do all the game quests as they were intended to by being in the game in the first place?
Everything is critpath :happytrollboy:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Getting raped by wolves on Damned because their defensive stats are too high for me to hit them :mca:. Too reluctant to switch to hard out of fear that the game will become too easy after some points like all the other Kickstarter RPGs I've played so far. Why do I do this when I know that the main strengths of this game are not related to combat? I don't know, I guess I'm a fucking idiot.
Which 'uns?

The ones outside the first village in the forest where you find Durance. It's probably just me being underlevled, tho - my characters are lvl 2 with like 1% xp left till level 3 so I can just go do some quick non-combat quest or kill something more manageable (I completely skipped the area before the village cause my main char is not good solo material, so I could always go back there).

Also noone had yet answered my question: is it possible to see the base accuracy values of your attacks and spells other than in the combat log?
Character sheet

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
So, yeah, this game seems to work, this is excellent news, I shall put it on next-up. Just a couple of questions though:

1. Will it run easily on a 2010 Windows 7 dual-core Laptop with no special chips or whistles?

2. Once you've bought it (downloaded it) do you have to be on-line ever again to play it? (and, obviously, how much hard-disc space does it munch up?)

many thanks

dieu

Learned
1. Possibly. Apart from some issues with certain effects it runs smoothly on my laptop with 3GB RAM and an AMD dual-core, but you may have problems with less RAM or a 32-bit OS.

Installation takes up 13.5 GB, files for install about 6.5 GB.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeeeeesssssss! I will be able to play without checking the character sheets every single fucking time I start the game.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Patch Notes said:
Reduced the penalties for Bonded Grief.

Yeah, no fucking shit. In a full party on Hard, the pet is marginally useful for a short time, after which the ranger becomes useless. Or, you can hide the pet in the back, and then just go ahead and replace your Ranger with a class that doesn't literally suck every fucking cock it sees.

The pet needs to not die at all, quite frankly, just like your average tanky Fighter. Difference between it and a fighter is it can't deal damage worth a crap, has no crowd control, and can only Engage one target at a time. I think that's fair. Marking a target each combat should also be a completely free action.

With these, Ranger would move from sucking every cock it sees to merely eyeing them hungrily.

Suggest any combat situation in which having a Ranger would be better than having a second Wizard. Spoiler alert: You can't.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The Linux Wasteland 2 GOG patching debacle (download 13 GB everytime! Yay!) taught me not to use them for new games. They seriously need to get their shit together.

LeJosh

Savant
When is "Galaxy" out for their steam-like service? Is it ever coming out?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom