Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Brian Fargo at MemoryLeak

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Brian Fargo; Interplay; InXile Entertainment

Rob Carter of the MemoryLeak podcast, who interviewed Chris Avellone last year, sent word to inform us of a new interview he recently did with Brian Fargo. This one comes with a helpful point-by-point summary for those not eager to listen to the full one hour podcast.

Brian Fargo has done it all. He’s created his own games, designed classic titles, and run a publishing company – Interplay Productions. Now Brian is in a unique place. As the CEO of inXile Entertainment Brian has launched two very successful crowd-funding campaigns and is looking to divorce the company from publishing deals which he feels are often restrictive. Brian and I talk extensively about game publishing, his time as the CEO of Interplay, and the current state of inXile Entertainment.
  • 0:00 – Introduction
  • 1:49 – Brian talks about the positive energy at inXile today, how crowd-funding made it possible, and the long road the company took to get where it is now.
  • 4:56 – The benefits of crowd-funding vs. working with a publisher. Why Brian thinks trust is the missing element.
  • 7:17 – How to maximize creativity and minimize risk. How, as a financier, you can ask for certain business-critical features but still fundamentally trust the developer.
  • 9:50 – When it is and isn’t beneficial for a publisher to dictate creative choices in a game.
  • 12:00 – How developers can sometimes have little creative control over their own product. Why developers bear the reputation hit when the publisher fails them.
  • 14:52 – An example: How Obsidian takes a reputation hit when a shipped game has bugs. How little leverage developers have when negotiating development deals.
  • 16:45 – Brian describes the specifics of negotiating a deal with a publisher and just how difficult it can be for a studio to see returns from one of these contracts.
  • 18:51 – I ask Brian if, supposing he were running a publisher today, how the current industry climate might make him change his approach from the Interplay days.
  • 20:06 – How a developer’s creative freedom is crucial to fostering good ideas which ultimately results in a better game.
  • 22:55 – Brian and I discuss the dearth of independent AAA studios.
  • 24:43 – The publisher strategy of backing a studio into a corner to buy them at a low price.
  • 26:44 – Brian’s adjustment from game developer to business executive in charge of Interplay Productions.
  • 29:04 – Brian recounts the end of Interplay (its acquisition by Titus Software) in detail. How incredibly close it came to surviving to make more games, and the insane maneuvering he went through in an attempt to keep it together.
  • 36:36 – While it was stressful, Brian says being an executive was still fascinating and exciting. He shares more anecdotes about negotiating deals and explains just how strange and heated things can get.
  • 42:37 – How the technical process of development can be difficult to explain to publishers, and whether this lack of understanding creates friction.
  • 44:29 – Why publishers are not inherently bad. Brian believes the publishing process often has problems, but they can be addressed with changes in attitude.
  • 47:05 – The Wasteland 2 Kickstarter and what it meant to Brian on a personal level.
  • 49:12 – I ask Brian to reflect on what he may have done differently in his career and what he loves about the industry.
  • 51:04 – inXile’s plan for the future.
  • 53:25 – More publisher stories – The true stories that inspired the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter video.
  • 54:35 – “Fun is just a theory.” The importance of iteration and finding the fun.
  • 57:02 – Thank you and goodbye!

As you can see, the first half of the interview treads familiar ground, with yet another Fargo anti-publisher tirade. But the second half is really good, recounting the events that led to Brian's departure from Interplay and the fall of the company at a level of detail I've never seen before. His boardroom negotiation stories are also quite amusing. Definitely worth a listen.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Man I would love to hear all the projects he had to kill while at Interplay. That would be fascinating (he mentioned this around 28:00).

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
One of the most interesting vidya interviews, plus Fargo is prolly the most interesting personality in the vidya industry today. Sounds like during the interplay period, he was like the Scar Face of vidya, except he didn't die, which is great. Can't wait for Torment.

If anyone's gonna innovate shit in the rpg world, that's him.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Why doesn't sound cloud have a volume control on embeds? Is this 2002?

Perkel

Arcane
"How to make 50 mln from thin air"
- written by Brian Fargo

This probably would sell like hotcakes.

Then he would fallow with another bestseller:

"I have 50mln debt - stress management"
- written by B. Fargo

Aenra

• 54:35 – “Fun is just a theory.” The importance of iteration and finding the fun.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Got a few [self censored] choice things to say about [self censored] that..but [self censored] fair is fair, so i'm [self censored] holding till the W2 miracle patch comes out.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
Very cool interview! The best from Fargo imo, because he seems very relaxed int his one!
In the end it is ALWYAS a question about trust...I like it!:discohitler:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There are some pretty crazy stories in this interview.

Fargo stepping of a plane, going up to a guy he thinks is holding a sign for his car and getting served with a cease and desist, then just ignoring it and just hoping he doesn't get caught.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally got around to listening to this and I enjoyed Fargo talking. I'm glad he did most of the talking as I felt the interviewer wasn't very good and had few follow-up questions. His "radio voice" was also very monotone and unexciting but again Fargo's stories were fun, insightful and interesting so it was a good listen.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
There are some pretty crazy stories in this interview.

Fargo stepping of a plane, going up to a guy he thinks is holding a sign for his car and getting served with a cease and desist, then just ignoring it and just hoping he doesn't get caught.

I really am wondering what kind of legal system allows someone to be arrested on the grounds of "shopping for other investors because ours have breached the contract"? Doesn't something like that need to go to court first in order to determine anything?

tuluse

Arcane
I really am wondering what kind of legal system allows someone to be arrested on the grounds of "shopping for other investors because ours have breached the contract"? Doesn't something like that need to go to court first in order to determine anything?
Titus would have gone to court and got a temporary injunction which would stop Fargo from doing anything until they plead their cases and figured everything out.

That's my guess at least.

Cadmus

Arcane
Great interview, I still don't trust Fargo very much though. It's all words, words words but the game wasn't really good or outstanding.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I listened to the whole interview. It was really good and mostly just reinforced what my idea of publisher/developer relationships was. The stories were pretty interesting though. Rich men arguing over money don't give a flying fuck about anything but more money.

Publisher == greed incarnate.
Developer == art/creativity/fun.

Publishers don't care if we know that either. Sometimes things in life just seem backwards.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Very interesting interview. And while I can't judge if Fargo is full of shit or not, he sure is passionate and seems like a cool guy to hang with.
Two points that struck me:
Managers vs. "the technical guys". I had the same experiences in a company that made highish tech maschines. The managers would constantly try to drive certain developments forwards and the technical guys would constantly tell them how it's not possible or how it would take far more efford than the result was worth, or how there are massive risks involved. Sometimes the managers would demand stuff that went against the laws of nature and they'd simply not accept that fact when they were told so. On the other hand, if the technical guys had always gotten their way, development would have proceeded at a snail's pace for the most part. So a good balance and a relationship of trust really seems like the optimum between those "factions". Not just in the entertainment industry.
Another thing that struck me, was his mention that consumers notice details. I decided that I love PE, despite criticisms, bugs, weaknesses and rants, when I noticed that I could name chants. How cool is that?! Gibbing enemies while singing "Over the Fields and Far Away"... So it was a little detail that carved PE into my heart.

TensAndTwenties

Barely Literate
Hey codex - this is Rob, the guy interviewing Fargo in the OP. I just registered to say thanks for listening. I really appreciate the comments and criticism.

Finally got around to listening to this and I enjoyed Fargo talking. I'm glad he did most of the talking as I felt the interviewer wasn't very good and had few follow-up questions. His "radio voice" was also very monotone and unexciting but again Fargo's stories were fun, insightful and interesting so it was a good listen.

Totally agree with this. These are things I need to work on. I think the cause is the same - I'm talking to Fargo, there's a mic in my face, and I get nervous as hell! The sort of "performance art" side of these interviews is tough for me. Hopefully It gets a bit easier with experience. Luckily, like you said, Fargo is super charismatic and animated.

Managers vs. "the technical guys". I had the same experiences in a company that made highish tech maschines. The managers would constantly try to drive certain developments forwards and the technical guys would constantly tell them how it's not possible or how it would take far more efford than the result was worth, or how there are massive risks involved. Sometimes the managers would demand stuff that went against the laws of nature and they'd simply not accept that fact when they were told so. On the other hand, if the technical guys had always gotten their way, development would have proceeded at a snail's pace for the most part. So a good balance and a relationship of trust really seems like the optimum between those "factions". Not just in the entertainment industry.

Yeah, in my experience there's a rift between the business and tech people in industries like this. I really think a lot of it comes from a lack of understanding on both sides. But its always frustrating as a technical person when you're asked to do something you know won't pan out.

I'm happy to answer any questions about Fargo or the interview in general.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hey codex - this is Rob, the guy interviewing Fargo in the OP. I just registered to say thanks for listening. I really appreciate the comments and criticism.

Totally agree with this. These are things I need to work on. I think the cause is the same - I'm talking to Fargo, there's a mic in my face, and I get nervous as hell! The sort of "performance art" side of these interviews is tough for me. Hopefully It gets a bit easier with experience. Luckily, like you said, Fargo is super charismatic and animated.

I'm happy to answer any questions about Fargo or the interview in general.

Rob, you deserve a :bro: for taking my criticism so well. I know exactly how you feel as far as being a little tongue-tied around Fargo as the same thing happened to me when I interviewed the guys from Obsidian. You might actually fit into the Codex with that kind of attitude, so kudos to you. As I said, the interview was good so keep them coming.

Last edited:

TensAndTwenties

Barely Literate
Rob, you deserve a :bro: for taking my criticism so well. I know exactly how you feel as far as being a little tongue-tied around Fargo as the same thing happened to me when I interviewed the guys from Obsisidian. You might actually fit into the Codex with that kind of attitude, so kudos to you. As I said, the interview was good so keep them coming.

Hey thanks, I certainly will keep them coming! its just awesome to have my work posted here and discussed frankly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom