Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DayZ, a zombie mod for ArmA2 - Now standalone on Steam Early Access

CreamyBlood

Arcane
Ahh, memories. I think that we were lucky in that we played it at it's apex even though it was rough around the edges. Sort of at a time when it was fun and before all the casuals caught wind of it and basically ruined it.

Would be fun to revisit for old times sake but like Menck, not sure I'd want to pay for a mod just to do a few runs for nostalgia. But then again, might be worth a shot if we get enough people together. I'll keep an open mind for now.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Ahh, memories. I think that we were lucky in that we played it at it's apex even though it was rough around the edges. Sort of at a time when it was fun and before all the casuals caught wind of it and basically ruined it.

Would be fun to revisit for old times sake but like Menck, not sure I'd want to pay for a mod just to do a few runs for nostalgia. But then again, might be worth a shot if we get enough people together. I'll keep an open mind for now.

The nostalgia value is pretty low, unfortunately. More than a year after EA release and it's still nowhere close to what the mod was. And unlikely to ever be.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

A year and a half later and they still haven't managed to fix zombies. Even when they nerfed zombies with the LOS update in DayZ mod, you wouldn't see people being as carefree as they are now. Holding people up and having firefights in the middle of Cherno, etc. Zombies are an afterthought in this zombie apocalypse game and considering their engine sucks and they haven't managed to overcome this issue in over a year, I doubt they ever will.

They might as well just remove zombies entirely at this point.

thesoup

Arcane
They actually buffed zombies up a little (to the point that melee is useless) and made loot more scarce, making the game more survivalist.
But yes, generally, the game still feels too close to what the mod felt like 3 years ago. Lots of studios could have made a game from the ground up in that time.
The weirdest thing about zombies, imo, is that they're not coming in hordes anymore. Before once one attacked you, dozens would easily follow if you were in a city. Now that doesn't happen. But one zombie, if he comes close to you, is no joke. He will rape your ass if you try to melee him.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I just really miss the pre-Line of Site zombies from the early mod days. Back then zombies never lost aggro once they spotted you. It wasn't exactly realistic for zombies to chase you for kilometers, but it made the game really challenging and fun. Back then everyone would leopard crawl into cities because it was simply too dangerous to alert a zombie and then either fight or flee, which could lead to even more zombies chasing you.

SoupNazi

I just really miss the pre-Line of Site zombies from the early mod days. Back then zombies never lost aggro once they spotted you. It wasn't exactly realistic for zombies to chase you for kilometers, but it made the game really challenging and fun. Back then everyone would leopard crawl into cities because it was simply too dangerous to alert a zombie and then either fight or flee, which could lead to even more zombies chasing you.
No. Back then you lured them into any given building where they all slowed down to a crawl and then just hacked them to death one by one with ease, clearing an entire city within a minute or two.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
You could try that, except that other players could just follow the string of zombies and kill you anyway. And then you had to deal with zombies that actually respawned. It wasn't as easy as that.

thesoup

Arcane
In pre-LoS days I killed dozens of zombies by going down slopes which would make them crash and die. And tons of zombies would join the gangrape in a city only if you used a lee enfield or akm.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Too bad that the standalone version seems to be stuck in development limbo.
Seems like that dumbfuck lead designer got his ego inflated by all the "empty map devoid of gameplay opportunities=lots of emergent gameplay" bullshit the mod's fanboys parotted a few years ago.
Or are all the negative Steam reviews misleading and they put some meat to the bone and added interesting faction/crafting/survival/base and trap building mechanics in the standalone version?

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Nah it's still shit with little reason to play. The DayZ fanboys on their forums will disagree, but that's mainly because the demographic is no longer the same as the one who played the mod back in the day.

Don't expect the game to ever reach its full potential. It's the only game where absolute stagnation is defended so vehemently. At best it will be a slightly souped up version of the alpha mod on release.

toroid

Arcane
Are they still marketing this as a hardcore survival game requiring teamwork, or have they embraced the fact that it won't ever be anything more than a deathmatch game for tryhards with antisocial personality disorders?

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
So I've been watching a lot of Dayz gameplay and I'm really considering it. At first I thought well I'll just wait until it's fully released but jesus that might not even happen. Does anyone recommend this game as it is now and if so can you give me some tips?

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There is absolutely no reason to get this unoptimized piece of sticky diarrhea. It does about nothing properly and those things that function bearably on mechanical level are clunky as fuck. You'd be better off with the original mod and some dedicated server with their own dev progression.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I still like to play it from time to time, it offers a pretty unique atmosphere.

But it will never be a finished or even polished product, there will always be bugs and about every 5th time I rejoin a server I have lost all my gear.

If you can deal with that and don't need to build yourself a base or a vehicle it might be worth it.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Well I just wanted to play so I could spread my ministry heh. If there are people out there that KNOW what's going on I think these people will GET it as they "live" it as a dream within a dream. And that's how my following will start. I'll have to set up in one of the old churches but then once my congregation flourishes I plan on setting up a new Zion. There's certain people here that I know will join (I won't name Names) as they send me messages on Xbox daily. But certain others will not be permitted as they are what we call "Blue Bambis".

Baron Dupek

Arcane
People still want to throw money at them?
What the hell is wrong with you?
It's never ever and it was known year after release.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The creator of the arma mod and h1z1 is making a new game, Battlegrounds

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Was wondering why there is suddenly hype for it, found some similarities and now this.
People want to be scammed again with the same trick - unfinished never ever 50+€ test builds that will be used by yotubers to build hype with these bugridden code trashes.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
The creator of the arma mod and h1z1 is making a new game, Battlegrounds

Looks really good but I hope there is more than battle royale mode, I want a mode like day z where the goal is just to survive the apocalypse and maybe kill other players. Battlegrounds seems like it's just a free for all death match.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom