Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

These mods enhance NWN2 and better the game.

JoeDirt

Scholar
First off, and the most important one, is Tony K's revamped henchmen and monster A.I., currently at version 1.1. This is, in my opinion, the one and only indispensable mod for NWN2 since it makes monsters do what they should do in the first place, i.e. use their abilities, their combat modes, their (!) items, and most notably, the full range of their spells. Not only does it do all that, but you can (optionally) set a global variable that makes monsters wander the dungeons they populate, actively seek out intruders (you) and open/bash doors you may be hiding behind.

Second is even's "No Dangerous Resting". Basically, this disables resting in areas that have hostile NPC's. So far no one has made a mod that makes resting close to how it is in P&P, so this is the next best thing. This tiny, tiny little mod completely changes how you play the campaign. Now you need to stock up on potions, aid kits and other assorted items, since you can't replenish your health mid-dungeon at the drop of a hat. Also, no longer can your spellcasters sling spells like there's no tomorrow, spamming fireballs everywhere and basically making every combat a zinch. You'll have to control your casters and watch their spells, like any player would in a traditional tabletop session. After Tony K's improved A.I., this is probably the second most important modification.

Thirdly, the most popular (and best) UI available for NWN2: XiDragon's xUI. A million times better than the default interface options, and extremely flexible. Not something essential to have, of course, but very nice anyway. Also, I like to use Micha's "Chat GUI patch", which basically relocates the information box to where it was back in NWN1. It's beyond me why the moved it this time around. A minor cosmetic fix, but I wouldn't play without it!

Now, these next two mods are mostly important for people whose framerate chugs during large battles. The majority of the time these kind of FPS dips are due to all the spell FX going on during combat, with not only your casters launching nukes but the foe as well. This, and this, change most of the spell FX in order to tone down the "shiny" and make the effects more subtle and less obtrusive. Although certainly not what you would call "essential", once you enter that big fight with a bunch of enemy casters and find that your FPS isn't taking a nosedive into the unplayable, you'll learn to love these two modifications.

Finally, and I don't know why I left these hotfixes for the end, here are player1's hotfixes for outstanding bugs/errors still in the game as of 1.06. His spell script fixes alone are a must-download for anyone!

I restarted the game a while ago and I'm having fun going through it with these modifications. The "No Dangerous Resting" alone has considerably changed my dungeon crawling experience, as now the game is actually... difficult, and I have to strategize and prepare before going down the rabbit hole. Imagine that!

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The no resting in dangerous areas is what would have saved NWN 2's combat at least a minimum level of decency and challenge. I think I will download it.

Deacdo

Liturgist
Why the need for better henchmen AI? I thought you controlled them ala BG?

Balor

Arcane
You can. It it's really unwieldy. Perhpas UI mod fixed that, though?

Kraken

Scholar
I never finished the first act, but since there is so much fighting, it becomes tedious to control the party all the time. I'd actually prefer NWN1 style fighting, but the henchman AI was so broken in NWN2 it just became frustrating. I'll try playing with the AI mod, see how it goes.

Zomg

Arbiter
Sounds like a mod that turns shitty NWN2 lawnmowing into shitty PS:T lawnmowing.

YourConscience

Scholar
Posts/Threads such as these is what makes a place like the codex really useful! Kudos for that summary.

Could I possibly convince you of making a similar one not only for mods but also for modules - preferably the bigger and completed ones (if there are such). I know there's this database like website, but popularity or download rankings don't really tell me how many hours of fun I'll have and how polished it all is...

Or is there anyone else up for the task?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom