Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good News about Fallout 3!

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
The player won't be able to drive any vehicles in Fallout 3 so for those of you that are worried that Bethesda won't follow canon and realism involving automobiles in Fallout and the post apocalyptic setting may now breath a sigh of relief.

Lumpy

Arcane
What sense does it make that there are NO working vehicles in the player's path? Why would they all be destroyed?
Bethesda probably did it for the same reason they didn't put Mounted Combat in Oblivion - laziness.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Lumpy said:
What sense does it make that there are NO working vehicles in the player's path? Why would they all be destroyed?
Bethesda probably did it for the same reason they didn't put Mounted Combat in Oblivion - laziness.

So, no matter what they do they can't do the right thing? :?

cutterjohn

Cipher
more or less...

[EDIT]
...but now that I think of it, I know a game that would've been PERFECT for bethesda, Autoduel II. It would've been just like shit that they do oh so well, little dialog, lots of actions, lots of upgrades for vehicles, differing vehicles, AND they could've licensed vehicles from all the major auto mfgs just for some added cash to boot!

(Seriously though, I wouldn't mind to seen an Autoduel II, as it was a fun little game if incredibly shallow even for a game made way back when.)

Lumpy

Arcane
jiujitsu said:
Lumpy said:

So, no matter what they do they can't do the right thing? :?
They can't please everyone, of course. Some fans want cars, some don't. But it's not a crucial issues, unlike combat or gameplay. Which, again, people are divided on.

M0RBUS

Augur
Sovy Kurosei said:
The player won't be able to drive any vehicles in Fallout 3 so for those of you that are worried that Bethesda won't follow canon and realism involving automobiles in Fallout and the post apocalyptic setting may now breath a sigh of relief.
Weeehh! Really, where did you get that info? At least one thing is right (they had some others)...

Texas Red

Whiner
And this is good news exaclty why? And where did you get this info, a forum post by a dev?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Sovy Kurosei said:

There was a car in FO2.
You could use it.
So, they fail.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The Walkin' Dude said:
And this is good news exaclty why? And where did you get this info, a forum post by a dev?

This is from the GameInformer FAQ. I quote:

Q: Are there vehicles in the game?

A: There’s plenty of vehicles visible in the game world, but it doesn’t look like you’ll be driving any of them.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Lumpy said:

Because you'll be busy destroying them, along with ants and anything else in the blast radius.

dragonfk

Erudite
Heh...Just on the margin; wonder where they will allocate handheld nuclear catapult:).

Big guns
Small guns
You gotta be kidding guns

As for the car I for once can understand them. In enviroment they prepare car would double their work. In FO2 it was not a problem.

Ladonna

Arcane
Its funny that people are complaining about no vehicles. From what I have heard about the horses in Oblivion...

mister lamat

Scholar
Because you'll be busy destroying them, along with ants and anything else in the blast radius.

destroying the containment casing for fusion cell would actually create a brief and incredibly intense explosion, which would then leak radiation.

the mushroom cloud is just for show.

SlavemasterT

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
What sense does it make that there are NO working vehicles in the player's path?
If there were working vehicles they would have been scavenged long before the player shows up.
You could relieve their current owners of them.

What gets me more is why there are apparently so many fucking working toilets to drink out of after the nuclear holocaust. Besides sounding like a sophomoric gag, it doesn't even make much sense that the toilets would have much (if any) water in them - even assuming they're rain-fed, how many intact, water-holding toilets would you expect to find in a structure bombed-out enough to let significant amounts of rain in? If they make it so that you have to scavenge water from wherever it might reasonably be found it could be ok, but the commode-centric tone struck in the GI article was irritating.

mister lamat

Scholar
wood degrades at a faster pace than ceramics, especially when said wood is shelter from the elements for the toilet.

Lumpy

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
What sense does it make that there are NO working vehicles in the player's path?
If there were working vehicles they would have been scavenged long before the player shows up.
Scavenged, yes. But buried 20 feet underground? Broken apart? Or why would you not be able to find the already scavenged vehicles.
Maybe you could buy or steal one.

Sisay

Liturgist
The car always was a stupid idea. The war was fought over petrolium and uranium, why did they care so much about the former if they could've just used these magical NUCULAR cars. Sure you can retcon/rationalize it as the need for chemical industry products but it just doen't fit well with the first game. I guess these things just happen when you make a cash-in sequel in 8 months with important people leaving in the middle of the project. In a sense Fallout 2 is the prototype for Feargie's slam dunks.

There's still exploding NUCULAR cars in Fallout 3, you just don't get to drive one. Not that big of a plus.

J.E. condenced the gun skills into one in Van Buren and grenades became melee weapons. There important difference, however, is that he had vision and more reasoning behind his design decicions than to make thing easy to understand for console gamers. He also added skills, not just "streamlined" the system.

Top Hat

Scholar
Umm, this is Bethesda we're talking about.

Of course you'll be able to drive cars. You'll just have to pay $5.99 for the experience.

dragonfk

Erudite
Top Hat said:
Umm, this is Bethesda we're talking about.

Of course you'll be able to drive cars. You'll just have to pay $5.99 for the experience.

Hahah...True, very true.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Wasn't the car in Fallout 2 battery powered and isn't nuclear powered or required gasoline to go? At least I remember having to get out sometimes to recharge it with batteries or fusion cells.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah, it runs on energy/fusion cells, so it doesn't really have a nuclear engine or anything. It's sort of an electric car.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom