Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Telepath Tactics Released

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Is there going to be a review for this game ?

Sounds like you should start writing. Contact CrookedBee when you're done, and don't forget to take pretty screenshots.
I'm a 'newfag' who hasn't played the game or ever taken a screenshot. I was kind of hoping one of the people here with actual writing skills might do it.

Apexeon

Arcane
Not really design is about design decisions and paying millions of dollars does not make someone who makes the design decisions smarter. Also if your after a "mass market appeal" the design decisions become clear (which means dumb down).

Intelligent gamming and design is a niche market.

Sir, you just earned a brofist from me! This year has so many good games (TT, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands, AoD) it's a shame I don't have time to play them all. In the following months I'll buy your game since this month left me without jew money for games.

Only back me if you feel I am fighting the good fight.

TT, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands, AoD are games crafted by people who really love the core of what makes a crpg good.
Its the indies who are pushing for incline on shoe string budgets.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Not really design is about design decisions and paying millions of dollars does not make someone who makes the design decisions smarter. Also if your after a "mass market appeal" the design decisions become clear (which means dumb down).

Sir, you just earned a brofist from me! This year has so many good games (TT, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands, AoD) it's a shame I don't have time to play them all. In the following months I'll buy your game since this month left me without jew money for games.

TT, Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands, AoD are games crafted by people who really love the core of what makes a crpg good.
What's a crpg tho? Also AoD is 3d and you still like it?

Apexeon

Arcane

What's a crpg tho? Also AoD is 3d and you still like it?

Crpg is computer rpg before the Xbox showed up and everyone abandoned the PC (also the Amiga RIP).
I want to play my RPG like I am driving a sub with lots of buttons and **** its manly.

I don't mind 3D as well I just prefer 2D. A lot of the crpgs I like had beautiful 2D art.

A 3D AOD does not stop me from driving that sub with all those buttons and numbers under the hood.
Art sets the scene but the design adds the depth. POE sets the scene with its art/story but the depth is like a puddle.

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
Just started playing. So far it is reminding me a little of Shining Force which was my first ever RPG and still one of my favourites.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Shining Force was actually the game that first inspired me to start making strategy RPGs. I friggin' loved that game as a kid.

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Craig, You should sticky a post in Steam forums about Adobe Air, before to many people get disgruntled and give it bad reviews because of that.

I think this was the first Steam game I had to go browse through forums to figure out why it would not start.

Looking forward to playing it :)

set

Cipher
Adobe Air? Gross. Way to turn me off from this game. Please tell me it's worth it.

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
Craig, You should sticky a post in Steam forums about Adobe Air, before to many people get disgruntled and give it bad reviews because of that.

I think this was the first Steam game I had to go browse through forums to figure out why it would not start.

Looking forward to playing it :)

Thanks Maelflux! Steam forums won't let me pin posts though, for some reason. Not sure what that's about.

set

Cipher
Eh, what is everybody's beef with Adobe Air?
Well, performance-wise, it's sucked. It's also been unstable in the past, at least on my computer, frequently crashing with the couple of games I've played w/ it. Doesn't help it was League of Legend's go-to thing, so I unconsciously associate it with malware like pando media booster...

There are better frameworks to build a game on these days - especially 2d games. I could name a couple off the top of my head (slick2d, sdl are great), ones which are even compatible on mobile devices.

Maybe I've overblowing it, but I'd rather play a game made with RPGMaker or GameMaker. So an Flash/AdobeAir game better be worth it :P.

Hormalakh

Magister
I wish Josh Sawyer had read your posts about unpredicatbility and games when it came to making PoE.

Congratulations on your success - the game looks interesting enough for a further look. All the best to you.

Zetor

Arcane
Yeah, game is pretty enjoyable so far... and it's definitely a challenge! I'd recommend it for everyone who enjoyed Blackguards.

Regarding Adobe AIR: it doesn't seem to like lots of characters onscreen. In the screenshot below, there are 15 player-controlled units up against a constantly spawning stream of enemies (2-3 every turn from the left, and 2-3 every turn from the top after a few turns) -- once there were more than 10-15 enemies on the map, there was a very visible slowdown in animations and whatnot.
e5053rj.png

So, is this any good?

1. Do characters meaningfully level up and can you pick abilities/stats?

2. Can you equip characters with different weapons/equipment etc?

Unwanted

Hatred

Unwanted
I'd say its good. Level ups are automatic. You choose who you fight with not what happens when they level. Yes there is equipment. The main focus of the game is tactics I would say.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So, is this any good?

Yes.

1. Do characters meaningfully level up and can you pick abilities/stats?

No, the progression is automatic and incremental (with the addition of abilities).

2. Can you equip characters with different weapons/equipment etc?

There is, but characters are rather limited to what they can wear and most weapons are incremental as well. (rusty sword - iron sword). There are a few items tough, which give abilities outside that incremental increase in power (e.g. a "jetpack").

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer
The game offers alternate weapon types to most weapon-dependent classes (e.g. rapiers versus swords, longbows versus bows, javelins versus spears, halberds versus lances, throwing axes versus axes), but the alternate versions of weapons are often uncommon / difficult to acquire. There are also many different bits of armor you can purchase for your characters (torso armor, helms, shields, boots, capes) and rare special equipment that is only intermittently available in shops (steamthopters, grapple chains, orbs, etc).

The biggest consideration with equipment is simply resource scarcity--you have a limited amount of money available to you, and you need to conserve a chunk of it for consumable items (of which the game has a decent variety) or you will end up in trouble.

aleam iacis

Liturgist
Codex USB, 2014 BattleTech
I bit on steam. Sadly there seem to be a few issues between it and the steam overlay, or at least I've had trouble with messages and even had the overlay freeze in place.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The game offers alternate weapon types to most weapon-dependent classes (e.g. rapiers versus swords, longbows versus bows, javelins versus spears, halberds versus lances, throwing axes versus axes), but the alternate versions of weapons are often uncommon / difficult to acquire. There are also many different bits of armor you can purchase for your characters (torso armor, helms, shields, boots, capes) and rare special equipment that is only intermittently available in shops (steamthopters, grapple chains, orbs, etc).

The biggest consideration with equipment is simply resource scarcity--you have a limited amount of money available to you, and you need to conserve a chunk of it for consumable items (of which the game has a decent variety) or you will end up in trouble.

TL;DR - it's similar to Fire Emblem series?

Maelflux

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Played a few battles of this today. I really like the battles I admit!

But I am not quite sure what I think about the dialogue, rushed battle-to-battle sequence, equip GUI, and having to chase chests around a battle-field while trying to keep the bad guys alive long enough to actually get the chests..

almondblight

Arcane
rushed battle-to-battle sequence

Yeah, I would have liked some of the wandering around town between battles stuff that Shining Force had. That kind of downtime makes the pacing a lot better.

Still, really enjoying what I've played so far. The battles are engaging and interesting, and there are a lot of nice little touches. I also appreciate how big a role the battlefield plays in the game (chopping down trees to go past choke points, taking the high points for the bonus your archers get, pushing around rocks, etc.).

Craig Stern

Sinister Design
Developer

TL;DR - it's similar to Fire Emblem series?

If Fire Emblem offered a decent selection of non-weapon equipment, and offered a much wider array of consumable items, then yes--pretty much. ;)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom