Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interplay's cancelled Mad Max: Fury Road RPG

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You can tell that Brian Fargo's been talking to people lately: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2015/05/18/the-fallout-like-mad-max-game-that-was-never-made

Fallout's Creators Almost Made a Mad Max Game
By Julian Benson on 18 May 2015 at 5:22PM

In the late 90s, Universal MCA had charted a private jet to fly some of its VIPs to Whistler, Canada. One of the passengers was Brian Fargo, founder of Interplay Studios and one of the creators of Wasteland and Fallout. Another was George Miller, creator of Mad Max.

By the end of the flight they'd worked out a deal for Interplay to make a game of Miller's next film Mad Max: Fury Road.

Nearly 20 years later, Miller has finally managed to release Fury Road. But what happened to the game?

"I got to fly with him to Whistler, Canada, on the Universal private jet–because Universal used to own half of Interplay–and spend three hours with him," Fargo told me over Skype. "The Road Warrior was my favourite movie for a decade. I’d watch it over and over again so I was a huge fan of Miller's. [He] was familiar with Wastelandand Fallout and loved the work we’d done. So half of the ride was us fanboying and half was 'OK, let’s do something'."

Fargo flew out to Australia and visited Miller at his studio. "He'd taken over an old abandoned movie theatre," Fargo recalls. "He kept the huge middle area where the theatre was open and turned all the other parts into offices." Miller let Fargo read the script for Fury Road and the two hashed out a deal for Interplay to work on a Mad Maxgame.

It was only ever in the early stages of development, but Fargo says the Fury Roadgame would have been a party-based RPG in the style of Wasteland and Fallout. A big addition on those older Interplay games was to be ramshackle muscle cars. "We’d have had to have worked vehicles in," Fargo says, "they’re such a critical part of his world."

Then word started to get out.

Hollywood Reporter and Daily Variety ran stories on the proposed deal and EA got in touch with Miller. Fargo says they offered Miller $20 million for the game rights.

"[Miller] said ‘Ah, Brian, I like you but I don’t like you that much’," Fargo says. Miller signed the rights to EA and, well, nothing happened. EA never made a Mad Max game and Miller never saw the $20 million that would have come with such a game.

The problem was the pitted history of Fury Road's production. "The movie had lots of fits and starts," Fargo explains. "The movie was at Fox for some of the time, it got announced and then it got canned. Then Warner Brothers ended up getting the rights, they had a relationship with Miller that goes way back." It was with Warner for years before it went into production.

Then, rather than EA, Warner had the rights to the Mad Max game and then licensed the project out to Avalanche, the makers of Just Cause.

I'm all kinds of hopeful for Avalanche's version of Mad Max, but it's a damn shame we'll never see Interplay's take on Miller's wasteland.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I'd like to think it would be something like Roadwar 2000 but with better graphics. I would have played that until my eyes bled and my fingers wore down to the knuckles.

EA :argh:

BobtheTree

Savant
Fallout is already similar enough to Mad Max that it doesn't seem like this is a huge loss. Doubt it would have seen the light of day without a film to coincide with it, anyway.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
but we still get a fury road game, right? Though if it turns out like RAGE ill shit my britches in fecal outrage. but if its more like borderlands i suppose i could sigh and accept it. as long as "mad max rpg" doesnt turn into "tell-tale point and click cinema"

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I blame George Miller's lawyer. Had he added a line saying Miller would get paid no matter what, you can bet that EA would have made the game.

Gregz

Arcane
Last edited:

Apexeon

Arcane
EA only lives because of sports.
Killed so many good studios after sucking the IP dry.

Game "industry" which makes pollution.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
jesus fucking christ WL2 was average at best

stop trying to be relevant FFS

Perkel

Arcane
I am more shoked Universal dude was actual fanboy of Wasteland and Fallout...
Probably now they won't even know what is Angry Birds.

Catfish

Learned
I'll never forgive them for what they did to WAR. This could be such a glorious MMO. Instead it was A grade shit cake. Fuckers.

Sure, that. But they will truly burn in hell for the murder of the dungeon keeper :(

gestalt11

Arbiter
Funny story. But as a setting I think I actually like Fallout better than Mad Max and I don't think Mad Max would make a good RPG. Or possibly only if you were actually playing Max and it was written well. Two things make those movies; the batshit craziness of it all and Max's whatever it takes sad, grim, angry, regretful soulfulness. The movies are like a western like shane or a yojimbo movie. They are not really party-based RPG stuff. They very much protagonist immersed.

AetherVagrant

Arbiter
Patron
Funny story. But as a setting I think I actually like Fallout better than Mad Max and I don't think Mad Max would make a good RPG. Or possibly only if you were actually playing Max and it was written well. Two things make those movies; the batshit craziness of it all and Max's whatever it takes sad, grim, angry, regretful soulfulness. The movies are like a western like shane or a yojimbo movie. They are not really party-based RPG stuff. They very much protagonist immersed.
sounds like witcher 3 with gas n gunz

Bethesda?

gestalt11

Arbiter
sounds like witcher 3 with gas n gunz

Bethesda?

Well yeah I guess that is the obvious and mainstream thing and therefore what would happen. Although more Rockstar/GTA probably. But I think it could work with an interface and system like underrail if one really wanted to do a real RPG (obviously with cars and driving instead of a metro.)

Although honestly the first thing that springs to my mind with Mad Max is Carmageddon. Not saying that makes sense or is smart its just what pops into my head.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom