Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Logic Artists reveal Expeditions: Conquistador sequel - Expeditions: Viking

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Lots of things in Conquistador needed more variety, that's one of the main things we're hoping to address in Viking.

Does this mean an extended and interesting trade system for villages too heavily defended for me to plunder? Will I be able to acquire an Ulfberht sword? How about challenging one of my butthurt underlings to holmgang?

How about longboat fast travel? Overland travel in E:C could get tedious sometimes.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I suppose I can handle that, heheh.

Anyway, another thing I want to know- How're you guys gonna fund the development? Kickstarter, selv-publish, rely on something else?

How did Clandestine do?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
We're pretty excited about doing an actual historical viking RPG, where the mythology will obviously still factor in, but in a more grounded and superstitious sense, like the occasional Aztec weirdness in Conquistador.

Does that include stuff akin to Eaters of the Dead's "realistic" take on Beowulf?

How did Clandestine do?

Clandestine's not out yet. Since they're working on two games at once, I guess they must be doing well enough.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Does this mean an extended and interesting trade system for villages too heavily defended for me to plunder? Will I be able to acquire an Ulfberht sword? How about challenging one of my butthurt underlings to holmgang?
I can't go into that much detail yet, I don't want to make any promises we can't keep :)

How're you guys gonna fund the development? Kickstarter, selv-publish, rely on something else?
We haven't decided yet if we should go for a Kickstarter or if we want to stick to more conventional means of funding.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Why do people always talk about viking/Norse setting games like we get 10 of them every year? There's barely any and most of the ones that are supposedly, according to retards, about vikings are just generic fantasy with horned helmets in a snowy landscape. Seriously, go ahead and look up the amount of games that are supposedly about vikings. The list is very short when you filter out all the generic garbage.

With that said, I'd rather have something in Japan or China.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd really like to see something other than European Middle-Ages too.
But... it's a fact that you can never wrong with vikings.

himmy

Arcane
Personally, the asshole options are always my favourite to write. It's nice to have an outlet, I guess...

Hey, better to let the steam out gradually than go on a killing rampage, like another Scandinavian I can think of.

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
If you were going to go with captions, you might as well have had the voiceover in Old Norse, or Icelandic (or Danish, it's all the same to me). I mean, if your main selling point over the skyrims and DSAs and banner sagas and *cough* deathfires is historicity and authenticity, then you ought to sub instead of dub, no?

Trouble is not that many people actually speak Old Norse anymore, making it double hard to find actual voice actors that do.

Disgruntled

Savant
Not the exotic and under-represented setting I hoped for. But hell, all the other Expeditions features are ones I cant get enough of.
Also watched a few seasons of the Vikings so this will make a perfect unofficial accomplice.
:d1p:

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Fair enough, but if you have access to voice actors who are more comfortable in Danish, I'm sure that would carry into their voicework. To us Anglos, Danish might as well be Old Norse.

Fair point, but I couldn't take our own game seriously if they all sounded like Asbjørn Riis from 13th Warrior :P

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Logic Artists team have also taken player suggestions to heart, announcing that the Expeditions Sequel will have an upgradable player village, which they must return to between expeditionary raids to build and protect.
Conquistador already had the upgradable stronghold, right?

Over-land travel and combat will now exist as part of the same layer, transitioning from unrestricted, exploratory movement to turn-based combat smoothly
Wait people actually asked for this? The Heroes of Might and Magic style separation was something I liked.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
A bit underwhelmed with Vikings theme, was expecting something more exotic. But if the game will be as bloody and gritty as in the trailer, with promised variety - i am in.

Athelas

Arcane
Since when are we drowning in historical RPG's set in the age of viking conquest?

Unless people are equating them with RPG's set in a snowy region with characters wearing horned helmets. Of which there aren't that many either, funnily enough.

Wait people actually asked for this? The Heroes of Might and Magic style separation was something I liked.
It's an immersion thing. That is, immersion spelled as 'imershun'.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
First game was fun but very shallow and an extremely shirts engine.

Hopefully they fix the issues in this sequel and don't pussy out of the more 'lively' elements of Viking life, but I'm guessing it will be similar in tone to the first game, more akin to Bioware's take on Vikings

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hopefully they fix the issues in this sequel and don't pussy out of the more 'lively' elements of Viking life, but I'm guessing it will be similar in tone to the first game, more akin to Bioware's take on Vikings

But can I lead an all female party to rape village maidens?

I can't believe nobody has asked about female Vikings yet.
Or about rape simulation? Give it time.

giphy.gif

sser

Arcane
Developer
all viking games are heavy on the mythology and all that. Norse mythology is cool, but you end up with what essentially amounts to a regular fantasy game with a slightly different aesthetic. We're pretty excited about doing an actual historical viking RPG.

There will be so many shieldmaidens.

:hmmm:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom