Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Witcher 3 Pre-Expansion Thread

made

Arcane
How the hell do you change lock on target?

Think it just always goes for the closest one, so just hit the button again.
No, it doesn't work that way. If you hit the button again you miss the focus. Can it be you can't change lock on target? :retarded:

As far as I tried you cant. I had the exact same problem, in W" you could tab through targets if you tab the button again here iit does nothing.

:what:

This is beyond retarded. Why the hell did they get rid of this option?
because you don't need it. duh! it's a point and click action game.
You change lock-on target with the right analog stick. This your first RPG or something? :roll:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Am I the only one bored by the side quests already? They usually break down to "go somewhere, use your witcher senses, kill something, get a shitty reward". And exploration in the game is next to zero, why have an open world game when you don't reward exploration? Just for the sake of having an open world game?
"Open world" is just another bullet point on their checklist. Same as "Crafting" and "Ability points". Safe console RPG 101.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Am I the only one bored by the side quests already? They usually break down to "go somewhere, use your witcher senses, kill something, get a shitty reward". And exploration in the game is next to zero, why have an open world game when you don't reward exploration? Just for the sake of having an open world game?

Ermmm, there are reallly good rewards for exploration? Like sunken treasures with good blades, underwater caves with diagrams, caves/crypts with horse armors (lol), ruins with witcher gear.
Guarded chests and bandit/mosnter camps mostly have shitty rewards though, they are just filler content. Side quests except contracts have absurdly bad rewards too.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
We talking Gothic 3 levels of shitty exploration?

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

Ermmm, there are reallly good rewards for exploration? Like sunken treasures with good blades, underwater caves with diagrams, caves/crypts with horse armors (lol), ruins with witcher gear.
Guarded chests and bandit/mosnter camps mostly have shitty rewards though, they are just filler content. Side quests except contracts have absurdly bad rewards too.

There are? I haven't found those yet then. The questionmark stuff is incredibly boring and not what I'd call exploration, I didn't know there's stuff to find outside of the places marked on the map.

Metro No idea, I only played Gothic 3 very briefly ;)

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron

There are? I haven't found those yet then. The questionmark stuff is incredibly boring and not what I'd call exploration, I didn't know there's stuff to find outside of the places marked on the map.

Metro No idea, I only played Gothic 3 very briefly ;)

Turn of that question marks from UI options right now...

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turning off the questionmarks doesn't make the questionmark stuff better tho. And since I know already that 99 % of it breaks down to "Kill 5 wolves, get a skillpoint / a sword / boots" even when I turn them off I won't really feel like exploring. No, to me the game doesn't even feel like it is built around exploration.

It's not really 'open' though, there are bunch of open zones that are pretty big, yeah. But you can't even go from to another without gay ass fast travel system. Exploration is quite pointless indeed, i wasn't expecting another Morrowind in this regard, but still.

As it stands it's just an ARPG with passable story, wonky camera/combat/controls and lifeless 'open' world. Vast majority of issues should be relatively easy to fix, so mods or EE might make it good, but idk.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Of course it won't be exploration if you know where everything is... And you probably missed a few good spots if you just followed the POI marks...

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Do any people actually enjoy games anymore? Just all the nitpicking of every game, it's like don't you remember Mario and shit. How have people had fun with all old games but now people don't seem to like playing games.
mario had sharp controls. it was superior to witcher 3.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yeah, bashing exploration with the question marks turned on and not straying from the paths between them is...strange.

Yes, quite a few of those points are treasures or smuggler caches or some such. But once you get out of the starting zone, you can find a ton of interesting places and NPCs and monsters and mysteries and bits of lore. Even many side quests aren't marked as a POI.

Btw I just don't understand people complaining about the side quests. We must be playing different games because I've never seen such variety, handcraftiness and detail in side quests in any game.

And again - you DON'T have to use the witcher sense and follow the clues all the time. Sure, sometimes it's neeeded to progress the quest but I feel in many cases you actually don't have to go through the whole quest chain. Oftentimes you can arrive to conclusions by exploring and paying attention and simply skip a lot of quest updates.

Nyast

Cipher
So after 20+ hours in, I can safely say that I genuinely enjoy the game.

It has tons of glitches, bad AI, bad controls, bad interface ( playing on PC with M & K ), and sometimes when you wander you start quests and kind of mess up the order of some events, but overall the game is fun.

I think a good part of the reason I'm having fun with it is that quests are pretty well written and done. I gave up Dragon Age Inquisition after 4 hours, cause the "go fetch 10 skins" quests pissed me off. There aren't many of those in Witcher 3.

It's a bit light in terms of RPG; not many skills to choose from, and the combat is pretty simplistic. Not many spells either. So I pretend that it's more like an adventure game with RPG elements. As an RPG it's obviously bad, but as an adventure game I find it pretty fun.

I still prefer blobbers like Grimrock 2 though.

MasPingon

Arcane
How the hell do you change lock on target?

Think it just always goes for the closest one, so just hit the button again.
No, it doesn't work that way. If you hit the button again you miss the focus. Can it be you can't change lock on target? :retarded:

As far as I tried you cant. I had the exact same problem, in W" you could tab through targets if you tab the button again here iit does nothing.

:what:

This is beyond retarded. Why the hell did they get rid of this option?
because you don't need it. duh! it's a point and click action game.
You change lock-on target with the right analog stick. This your first RPG or something? :roll:

I see what you did there:obviously:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
'k turned off the question marks now. Pretty sure exploration will be among the best of the genre now

Twice as much as Skyrim!
54necip.png

Then you realize that gear stats overshadow the %gain from attribute points. And that gear is plentiful. The only restricting factor on Garret of Raviolis power level is level-restrictions on gear. And the only way to raise that is by powering through the main quest, since main quest missions give 10x as much xp as side quests.
:negative:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Those of you who have the dvd version, check what is scribed on the back

'We are rebels, we are cd projekt red'

:lol:

Alfons

Prophet
The devs said the main quest is about 30 hours. Well how much time out of that consists out of actual questing and how much of it is riding around and fucking cutscene talking. I found this shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnpkAJmle7k
According to that there's around 11 hours of cutscenes/talking in the main quest alone, I find that...impressive.

Keppo

Arbiter
http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/38475-Patch-1-03-for-PC-now-available!?p=1685160#post1685160

The patch 1.03 has just been released and is now available for all PC version of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The update introduces a range of stability and performances ehancements as well as allows users to take advantage of some additional graphics settings. Please find the detailed list of fixes below:

-Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
-Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
-Fixes grass and foliage popping that could occur after density parameters were changed
-Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
-Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
-Sharpen Post-process settings extended from Off/On to Off/Low/High
-Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
-Corrects a bug where player was able to shoot bolts at friendly NPCs
-Improves menu handling
-Corrects an issue with Stamina regeneration while sprinting
-Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcured when scrolling the map
-Generally improves world map focus
-Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
-Corrects some missing translations in the UI
-Corrects an issue in dialogue selections
-Rostan Muggs is back
-Minor SFX improvements

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Did you miss the part where he didnt mention PoE or WL2? no mystery around here. Shit games will get heat, good games will get luv.

No, I didn't miss that part. It's not material to my point. Being a throwback or an homage does not preclude a game from being bad (it's laughable that PoE is considered a 'bad' game, by some, but I suppose it's all just opinion, anyway); I was contemplating the relationship between a game being good and it being a throwback, homage or remake. And from that list, it seemed every 'good' game fell under one of those categories.

Life's mysteries abound.

Ulrox

Arbiter
I've only played something like 3 hours or so - but my main problem is the combat. Dont find anything else too bothersome. Agree with Ulminati that they definately made a very safe bet with this game, which is something I already knew they would. It is very obvious to see that once Skyrim sold as much as it did, then Bioware, and CDPR wanted to cash in on this apparently huge market. The problem is that Bethesda, even though their writers are incredible incompetent, are very good at making and optimising open world games. Bethesda has made open world games since 1994, Bioware and CDPR doesn't have the same level of proficiency that Bethesda has, which means that you run into quite a few issues with DA:I and Witcher 3, optimization, enemy ai, bland world. When I mention bland world, I'm not talking about writing, I'm talking about just throwing in trees and flowers everywhere and random points of interest that aren't very interesting.

I'm not arguing that Skyrim is a good game here, but it is atleast more proficient when it comes to pretty much everything else other than writing which both Bioware and CDPR has more experience with.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Did you miss the part where he didnt mention PoE or WL2? no mystery around here. Shit games will get heat, good games will get luv.

No, I didn't miss that part. It's not material to my point. Being a throwback or an homage does not preclude a game from being bad (it's laughable that PoE is considered a 'bad' game, by some, but I suppose it's all just opinion, anyway); I was contemplating the relationship between a game being good and it being a throwback, homage or remake. And from that list, it seemed every 'good' game fell under one of those categories.

Life's mysteries abound.

So what's KSP and Invisible Inc remakes of? Are you going to argue that FTL is a Star Control homage? Battle brothers being a turn-based strategy version of mount&blade is pretty interesting too. But I guess in a newfags world, anything with hexes is automatically a throwback.

And PoE is a bad game. No ifs. No buts. They took a formula that worked and every single change they made to the formula made it play worse and more banal.

RPGMaster

Savant
Learn Triss is in Novigrad.

Game tells me to go Velen instead.

I pick Novigrad.

Game fast travels me to Velen despite picking Novigrad.

I travel all the way to Novigrad on foot and water.

Triss isn't at her house.

Level 11 quest starts while I'm level 4.

Why are you cockblocking me game?!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom