Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Liberal Crime Squad strikes again

Fez

Erudite
Tags: Liberal Crime Squad

<a href=http://sourceforge.net/projects/lcsgame>Liberal Crime Squad</a> has had a well deserved update. This comes as a pleasant surprise as it was a game I had suspected might have been abandoned, especially in the shadow of its now much bigger brother. LCS is from the same Bay 12 Games who brought us Dwarf Fortress.
<br>
<br>
The change list for v3.11.2 is huge (possibly even Stiffness inducing) and you can see the full list <a href=http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?group_id=198808&release_id=518231>here</a>, but some of main changes mentioned on the Bay 12 Games LCS forum thread are:
<br>
<br>
<blockquotes>* Redesign of the entire Liberal Guardian system.
<br>
* Changes in the court system, including counts of offenses.
<br>
* Changes with driving skill.
<br>
* Defense bonuses during chases (feature requested by Xotes).
<br>
* Option for default naming during <b>kidnapping and dating</b>.
<br>
* And many more features/fixes.</blockquotes>
<br>
<br>
Kidnapping and dating? What more could you want for an evening? A fine combination for any stalker who's really an old romantic at heart. Bioware should be taking notes for their next epic romance.
<br>

Fez

Erudite
For those who haven't tried it before: It has an unusual blend of strategy and RPG elements, with humor and absurdities added to the mix. It's set in modern times with the player attempting to build a powerful political activist group and change the laws and government to suit your own ends by any means possible. Some of the various tools at your disposal include seduction, violence, propaganda and theft with the possibility of fame in the newspapers, getting your political group into the White House, changing the laws of the country or landing you and your squad into jail or the morgue as a reward. It's such an unusual game and setting I'd recommend trying it even if you are normally shy of roguelikes.

Where's the expansion pack where you get to play as SWAT team who have to hose down hippies and throw tear gas?

Fez

Erudite
sportforredneck said:
Where's the expansion pack where you get to play as SWAT team who have to hose down hippies and throw tear gas?

You could always lead your followers into jail or a grisly end at the hands of the death squads hunting them.

Fez

Erudite
No, it is deadly serious. DEADLY SERIOUS. You will see just how serious when you play it. Clearly KC was the mastermind behind this. We have uncovered a conspiracy.

Shinan

Educated
Oh yes this is one of my favorite games! Now with an upgrade, I'll be all over it in a minute. I love those pickup lines.

Fez

Erudite
It's a useful learning tool for any nerds needing some pick up lines.

kris

Arcane
Fez said:
* Option for default naming during <b>kidnapping and dating</b>.

Stockholm syndrome is a underrated method of finding your loved one.

Anyway, this sounds really itneresting, checking now.

I'm obviously terrible at being a Liberal. Obviously shooting police officers is not the best way to save the whales.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Wow, this game is really fun! I think if you get a member to recruit enough people they can become a founder, having more founders is always good cause if you lose your founder everyone under them leaves. Also, the combat is disturbingly brutal. My current main character literally got their face shot off in a kidnapping attempt, somehow they survived though... :shock:

By the way, in order to get sleepers you have to kidnap someone and then convert them before they appear in the news.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Edward_R_Murrow said:
One of my hippies got his head blown off in a police pursuit when he stole a squadcar.

Oh, that happened to one of my agents during a chase! It's actually happened allot. Damn combat in this game is hard!

By the way, my faceless wonder got executed. :cry:

I'm glad it's so easy to make characters in this game.

Fez

Erudite
The more you try to rush it, the greater risk for you and your minions. I lost my last squad to a daring but ultimately foolish and premature raid against the evil media with the hope of taking control of a radio station or at least getting my name in the newspapers with the event. Appearing in the obituaries wasn't quite how I had planned it.

Kidnapping and subverting people is important to build up the cause. Sleeper agents are useful and shouldn't be overlooked either. There's a lot to the game and he's considering to add in the future too. It'll take a while to understand all the ins and outs with it, especially if he starts changing and adding more to it.

Fez said:
Sleeper agents are useful and shouldn't be overlooked either.
I'm guessing that the higher powered Conservatives would be better sleeper agents, like the Hangin' Judge or Radio Personality. Only problem is they always end up getting shot by cops when I'm trying to escape with them.

Higher Game

Arcane
If I knew any programming, I would make a mod for LCS to make it NCS: Nationalist Crime Squad. I have a real talent for that sort of thing. :twisted:

And yes, the whole thing feels like a KC simulator.

SanguinePenguin

Scholar
Are hackers the best way to get money?

How are a bunch of college kids/hippies and solicit for donations? I notice characters that have negative juice pimp themselves occasionally and can get arrested is it worth it to even bother with prostitutes and the like for this purpose?

How do I sap off pursuit? I tried getting an apartment somewhere to sap off the heat and they still show up within the week.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Toad is supposed to be working on Dwarf Fortress. I love LCS, but I'm dying for the next build of DF.

Hacking is the best way to win the game. Start a character with basic hacking skills and have him commit acts of computer crimes constantly and do nothing else. You'll be swimming in cash, and the police will haul you to jail. Choose to defend yourself and watch your charisma and law skills soar. Once you're sufficiently rich and charismatic, steal a car and go to the outskirts CIA building, or wherever they have agents. Seduce a team of 6 agents that will do your violent bidding, and the game is yours, so long as your main guy doesn't get killed.

At that point, your charisma should be so high that even if you committed multiple acts of murder and stand trial, you'd have the jury crying for freedom and you'll walk.

Oarfish

Prophet
Greenskin13 said:
Toad is supposed to be working on Dwarf Fortress. I love LCS, but I'm dying for the next build of DF.

He open sourced liberal crime squad, I'm guessing the latest update was community contributions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom