Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games that have RPG potential?

• Thread starter User was nabbed fit
  • Start date

User was nabbed fit

I'm thinking the GTA series. If you had control over the story through choices (which would lead to, you guessed it, consequences), I think that'd be pretty awesome. Though probably too 'complicated' for GTA's main audience (kids looking for a blast). Though who knows? Quite a few things would have to be modified for it to work (you'd have to be able to have dialog choices instead of just cut scenes). The combat and car chases and all that shit could still stay the same... sure, it won't be the combat you're normally used to in an RPG like Fallout, but I think it could still work as a good action RPG (with a lot of focus on the RPG part).

Heh, oh and Oblivion of course. Seriously, so much content... shame that it just doesn't function as an RPG.[/stir pot]

Anything else I'm missing?

MisterStone

Arcane
I always see people talking about how they wish the Sims had RPG elements to it... personally, it doesn't sound all that exciting to me, but I'm sure there would be a big fan base waiting to jump on.

I bet that if someone were to somehow combine the Sims and a medieval/fantasy setting RPG it would rake in huge bucks. Not sure how that would work out, though.

User was nabbed fit

Talking about GTA. Here are some scans about content in GTAIV...

http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... mestm1.jpg
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... mestm2.jpg
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... mestm3.jpg
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... mestm4.jpg
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... mestm5.jpg
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... mestm6.jpg
http://news.filefront.com/wp-content/up ... mestm7.jpg

Apparently it'll be a lot more 'complete' than the other GTA games (though not in an RPG sense). Guess I've got a reason to buy a console now (instead of waiting a year for it to come out on PC). Probably a 360.

NiM82

Prophet
Space sims like X3 could be an interesting area to infuse RPG goodness.

You could have the character stats affect how effectively your ship/company functions and how well you interact with other pilots/factions (opening and closing options). For example:

• - Dexterity - could affect your ships responsiveness, accuracy etc.
    - Perception, accuracy perhaps boost the range at which you can detect things.
    - Strength could dictate how much acceleration you can take.
    - Speech (Dip/Threaten?) adjusts your dialogue options, enables you to bargain/threaten.
    - Endurance - how much life support you need, how much ships energy gets used for it.
    - Int, could affect a lot of things, dialogue, sensor accuracy etc.
    - Wisdom - Ability to identify obscure stuff, identify weak spots on ships etc.
    - Disposition (good/evil) - Trader/Pirate?
    - Luck, will the countermeasures work, will you win the galactic lottery?
    - Do you focus on stand-off combat, electronic warfare, dogfighting, trading or science, etc?
Upgrades for the ship (maybe even bionic ones for the character?) would function as stat modifiers, a guy whose shit at combat may need to shell out on an uber expensive targetting computer to compensate (should he feel the need to go all Skywalker), such boosts could have drawbacks and may be prone to malfunctioning though. If you borgify yourself, maybe some factions/characters could shun you?

Add some choice/consequence responses and it's a good'un - it's already a nice sandbox. Just don't let Egosoft design the user interface, or write the dialogue! :D

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've always wondered what the Zelda series would be like if it had role playing. It has an excellent setting, if only it had role playing. Oh well.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Wow, I was certainly not expecting that kind of maturity from rockstar for GTA! That games sounds simply stunning already. I can only hope they eventually port it to the PC like they have done with all the others. No frigging way would I play without a mouse for those gunfights.

gc051360

Scholar
The GTA games will get more and more RPG-ish with each installment.

And it will be hailed as innovative greatness, when this stuff has been around for quite a while. "You get to choose how to complete a quest...WOW, not since FO3 have we seen this kind of freedom"

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Resident Evil!

Survival horror, zombie blasting RPGs have so much potential!

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Resident Evil, if it were more like Dawn of the Dead in terms of game length (months or years even of surviving the new, deadly and hostile world.
Stalker. If it had skills in it, and more dialogue, that would be the shizznit.

Suicidal

Arcane
I agree with Major Blackhart about Stalker.

Also, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic had potential. The addition of dialogue, a non-linear storyline and more choices (with consequences of course) could make it into a pretty good Action-RPG. The game was still a fun first-person shooter/slasher, though.

whitemithrandir

Erudite
I dunno. I always thought tb tactical games like Age of Wonders or Heroes of Might and Magic had potential to be good CnC engines. (Choice and Consequences, har har).

The first AoW had a limited amout of divergent paths and choices and some of the HOMM 3 expansions even featured limited amounts of dialogue choices where you got to choose which faction to help quest with.

Too bad all that went out the window with the later installments, but the potential is still there.

Major_Blackhart said:
Resident Evil, if it were more like Dawn of the Dead in terms of game length (months or years even of surviving the new, deadly and hostile world.

Dead Rising for the XBox 360 is close (though game "length" is 72 hours of game time + an additional 24 hour "Overtime" mode if you get the best ending. It comes out to about 8 hours of real time).

Still, it's closer to an "RPG" than Resident Evil has ever been. It's also a pretty enjoyable action/adventure game. It's also the only game I play for the 360, so...

It has stat mechanics (though they are all combat oriented), leveling up (and, interestingly enough, most of the best ways to gain the points to level up are through non-combative methods), and you can follow the plot or drop it pretty much at anytime.

Gwendo

Augur
Why you must include "stats" in your idea of an RPG?

Why do you think that we have to use a version of the P&P system? P&P games aren't the roots of RPGs. They just were the easier way to make one, when we had not this technology.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Many Lucas Arts and especially Sierra adventures could have been nice RPGs if they had choice and consequence instead of linear stories, and combat.
Quest for Glory tried this and was quite good, and the Kings Quest series had potential, too.
Still, they were all great for what they were, namely great adventures.

Sarvis

Erudite
Gwendo said:
Why you must include "stats" in your idea of an RPG?

Why do you think that we have to use a version of the P&P system? P&P games aren't the roots of RPGs.

Wow, I see the level of self-delusion in the hive-mind is increasing...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom