Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect traielr from E32k7.

bryce77

Scholar
The Watchman said:
Looks like a typical shitty shooter to me or meaby the rpg parts are hidden in that vid somewhere ? and no i havent kept up with ME news, i dont follow retarded shitbox games.

There are no "RPG parts". You didn't miss anything.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
TWD, games arne't art. This discussion is old. Unlike other disucssions like 'BIo is greta' vs.'BIO is crap'; I'm not even open to a debate *or* discussion on the issue. Games will never be art. Movies aren't art. Books aren't art. Art is art.

Bryce Faker: Do not lie. It is an Action RPG, and it has quite a bit fo role-playing. More than 99% of so called full fledge role-playing games. *cough* GB games *cough*.

psycojester

Arbiter
Someday when nerds inherit the earth and are subsequently wiped out by codexer death-squads people will have a saying "That mule is as subborn as an agreeable Volourn"

Texas Red

Whiner
"Games will never be art. Movies aren't art. Books aren't art. Art is art."

Now youre just being silly. IMO, games could be THE art. They combine everything from every field.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I've never really been interested in Mass Effect, but it does look more interesting than the other "RPGs" coming out on the xbox.

Texas Red

Whiner
Fat Dragon said:
I've never really been interested in Mass Effect, but it does look more interesting than the other "RPGs" coming out on the xbox.

Yup. It looks better than Halo 3.

Slith

Scholar
The Walkin' Dude said:
Jade Empire: See SoU and NWN 1. The same cliche where you start as the most skilled, wise and whatever student at some academy.

No... you aren't actually. Gao the Lesser was entirely correct in his assessment of Master Li favouring you over all the other students. You're the only one who can defeat the Emperor, so naturally Master Li needs you alive.

Ever wonder how the Lotus Assassins and Death's Hand found out about the town you start in? It wasn't Gao the Lesser that gave it away, it was Master Li. [Although he did it by telling Gao his name.] Why do you think he locked you in those caverns for three days? He needed to make sure you weren't killed, so that when you emerged 3 days later, you'd find everyone you loved dead, and Master Li captured, getting you to set off and rescue him. This is why he is so surprised when you come out of the cavern early, [Thanks to help from the Water Dragon.] it wasn't what he was expecting.

Thankfully Gao the Lesser kidnaps Dawn Star, and gets you out of the town when bad things happen.

Gao the Lesser is, in my opinion the best student at Master Li's school, and he knows it. You would've had your ass kicked in that first battle against Gao if Master Li hadn't conveniently stepped in and blocked his attacks on you.

You really ought to read this: http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=1055 it explains everything. [Beware: Huge Spoilers]

They've announced their conversation skills which basically consist of charm and intimidation. It seems they avoided the use of force persuade.

Sovard

Sovereign of CDS
You guys haven't heard the best part (and this is straight out of an interview.)

The two moral paths to take offer interesting choices. You can be a Paragon, or a Renegade. The difference between the two? The Renegade path has you doing anything necessary to get the favorable outcome, as the Paragon gets the favorable outcome by being a pussy.

So, in effect, you're a good guy either way. It's just that the Renegade chomps on a cigar and doesn't shave. Neat.

P.S. Though, in their defense, going about things in a gruff manner will have some sort of consequences. They actually will keep track of every deed done, and I suppose it will affect the "Where are they now" sequence at the end.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
There's nothing there that says you have to be a 'good guy'.

Charm, and intimidation? Not bad, not bad.

*cough* Why would a shooter need such dialogue skillz? *cough*

Sovard said:
So, in effect, you're a good guy either way. It's just that the Renegade chomps on a cigar and doesn't shave. Neat.
They can also murder people during dialogue sequences at some point. Seriously.

psycojester

Arbiter
Just don't Cronstadt, its like trying to remove a mountain through soil erosion

bryce77

Scholar
People are excited to play Mass Effect to play as Shepherd, to be Jack Bauer in space. They already have an idea of how many collars they're going to grab and how much space ass they're going to get.

They are not excited to role-play their own character. Spot the difference? Mass Effect is as much of an "RPG" as San Andreas is. You "play" the role of CJ in San Andreas, and you "play" the role of Shepherd in Mass Effect. It's still left to see just how much you can shape Sheperd as you play through the game.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Strange. It was mentioned somewhere that you will be able to choose the gender of brave commander, but Shepard is male in every video, in every screenshot. Am I the only one thinking that woman behaving in such extreme way will look... disturbing?

Fez

Erudite
Volourn said:
*cough* Why would a shooter need such dialogue skillz? *cough*

Hopefully we won't be asking the same thing after the game is released.

Texas Red

Whiner
Lestat said:
Strange. It was mentioned somewhere that you will be able to choose the gender of brave commander, but Shepard is male in every video, in every screenshot. Am I the only one thinking that woman behaving in such extreme way will look... disturbing?

*grab his balls*

psycojester

Arbiter
And Chuck Norris. Roundkicking aliens to the death must be fun!

Nah Fury all the way

fury.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"People are excited to play Mass Effect to play as Shepherd, to be Jack Bauer in space. They already have an idea of how many collars they're going to grab and how much space ass they're going to get.

They are not excited to role-play their own character. Spot the difference? Mass Effect is as much of an "RPG" as San Andreas is. You "play" the role of CJ in San Andreas, and you "play" the role of Shepherd in Mass Effect. It's still left to see just how much you can shape Sheperd as you play through the game."

Don't be an idiot. Most people who played FO playd it for the combat, and the violence. therefore, in conclusion, FO is all about the combat and isn't about 'playing your character'. What a dumbass you are.

These 'people' you speak off don't represent anybody but themselves. Foolish you are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom