Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WOW, they managed to make the controls even WORSE

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
TW 2 controls weren't the best thing ever, but they were passable (sort of). TW 3 feels completely unnatural, holy shit. I own a X360 gamepad and I've tried both input methods. They both suck, no reason to argue which is better. Stiff movement all around, terrible controls both in and out of combat. Target selection mixed with camera movement? OH YEAH, why not? A character that can't stab a guy right in front of him before doing a triple flip? YESS, WE JUST LOVE TAKING DAMAGE FOR NO REASON. Because everyone ELSE is capable of doing fast-non-flamboyant-attacks.

Playing Tank-Geralt is not fun, so I'll ask the hivemind a simple question: is the story as good as TW2? Is it worth suffering through this game's shitty gameplay? Because I loved TW2's story and plot twists, but found the gameplay pretty mediocre. Only reason I'm bothering with TW 3 is because the characters are great and I DO care about Yennefer, Geralt and Triss. Potato devs should've written the story and handed gameplay design to someone else. Whoever is responsible for tank-geralt deserves to be shot.

Oh yeah, and I must make the mandatory DARK SOULS DID IT BETTER commentary. Sorry guys, you know it's true.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The writing is superior to TW2, not that that's much of an accomplishment since TW2 writing was absolute rubbish.

imweasel

Yeah, the controls are pretty bad and are MUCH worse than in TW1 or TW2. You get used to the shitty controls after a while, but I did seriously faceplam hard at the beginning of the game and would have probably quit it straight away if the narrative wasn't so great.

It feels like they designed the controls by throwing a potato down a hallyway and then motion capturing it. Shitty controls like this are simply unacceptable, especially for a AAA game. CDPR truly deserves all the flank they are getting for this.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
imweasel Does CDPR get any flak anywhere except the Codex? In fact even here potatoboys have the upper hand but anywhere else it's much worse. Go to any forum where people discuss video games and you'll learn that TW3 an absolutely flawless majestic magnificent marvellous masterpiece 11/10 game of the century. True story. When you prove that the graphics they praise is dowgraded and looks like crap, potatoboys say: "who cares about graphics, gameplay is king!" And when you tell them that the gameplay is unfortunately same as TW2 except even worse because CDPR cannot into controls, they go full berserk.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Guess the solution is dumping difficulty, solving all combat by "left-click-to-win" and enjoying the plot. Seriously, HOW THE FUCK did they managed to make controls WORSE than TW2? That's one hell of a feat.

made

Arcane
I was about to agree with you about the atrocious controls but then

DARK SOULS DID IT BETTER

and then I

tumblr_lx9jb1SPMr1qdrpdr.gif

DS didn't even have working M&K controls on PC at all, you fucking consoletard.

RPGMaster

Savant
Cap the framerate at 30. I'm convinced this is how it's supposed to be played - the controls are much smoother and more natural than at 60.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
made

PCMasterrace is superior because it's capable of doing everything a console can and then some. Calling me "consoletard" because I used a gamepad on a game with NO K&M support simply proves you fail to comprehend WHY the PC is superior. Insisting on K&M to play DS is just as stupid as using a gamepad to play a first person shooter. That game was NEVER developed to be played with anything other than a gamepad, same as a fighting game. COULD From Software get their shit together and release proper support? BUT OFC! Will they? What do you think? -.-"

Adapt or perish, it's that simple. We are stronger because we can ADAPT. We have multiple input choices, we have mods, we have unofficial patches and so on. And, OFC, we have a superior MACHINE to make use of all these features.

If you truly believe PCmasterace means only using K&M then you're putting the PC on the same league as the consoles. THEY are the ones whose choices are limited by the initial choice of platform, NOT US. PC stands on a league of its own for several reasons. OBJECTIVE reasons, not subject to discussion. Dark Souls, for example, runs on PC with higher FPS (60 vs 30), better graphical quality, mod support AND can use the same input method (not subject to any particular brand). Remember what I said about "doing everything the console can and then some"? Yeah. But hey, if plugging a fucking gamepad on your USB port sounds too hard, then maybe YOU stand on the same league as the consoletards saying "but I wanna plaaay un my living ruum TV, PC can't du dattt!", "I prefur gamepad, so console is THE ONLY CHOICE", "me wants to waatch netflix, PC can't into netflix!111", "what about blu rayyyyy?!?!?" to defend their shitty platform.

PC has it all, that's not open for discussion. And limiting your options is just as stupid as not knowing about them.

If you still don't get it, maybe a guide will help you: http://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide

/whyyoufailtounderstandPCsuperiority

As for TW 3 I think i'm gonna wait a couple more patches. Not going to cap my framerate. Let the peasants play with their 30 fps that "the human eye can't perceive any higher!!" (bullshit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie2dN418GTA) for all I care.

Ptosio

Arcane
TBH I think it's much better than TW2, which of course doesn't mean it's anywhere near "good enough".

But from what I've seen the people who have the biggest problem with Geralt's movement are constantly sprinting - try walking for a change and it gets much better.

Potato devs should've written the story and handed gameplay design to someone else. .

Yeah, they should make a trip from WarSaw to WroClaw and team-up with/learn from Technoland. The game with the fluidity of movement and joyful combat of Dying Light combined with story and writing of the Witcher would truly deserve the AAA GOTY title.

Zep Zepo

Titties and Beer
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual
Playing on PS4...The controls lag pretty bad on PS4.

So you end up button mashing because of the lag...and then to fuck you even more, all your fruitless mashing of lagging buttons seem to buffer...so you are doubly screwed.

*Take that console phaggots!

:negative:

Zep--
*Unfortunately I am one...

Cadmus

Arcane
I don't understand what the fuck are you autists complaining about. The controls might be a bit different from the usual floaty, free-style Skyrim combat but it took me about 5 minutes to get used to them even on the fucking PS4 and I hate gamepads.

Once you apply 2 patches to DS to fix the horrible piece of cunt discharge port, it becomes totally playable with mouse and keyboard, I finished both DS that way and it was good fun. In conclusion, you are a bunch of fucking pussy-ass faggots who cannot into action games. You are complaining about the most insignificant bullshit ever, OH MUH BUTTER FINGERS CANT LEARN HOW TO PLAY ANY OTHER GAME THAN BULDUR GEAT OMG OMG, fucking losers.

SumDrunkGuy

The controls are terrible. I've seen people compare them to Assassin's Creed, and, fuckin srsly? Even Ass Creed doesn't control this bad. Dark Souls yo. DARK SOULSsssss.

And I don't know what it is that compels people to bring up Dark Souls when shitting on this game but fucking DARK SOULS.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
All of these talks make me want to finally try the first Witcher, because apparently the series evolved in reverse temporal order.

Zeronet

Learned
imweasel Does CDPR get any flak anywhere except the Codex? In fact even here potatoboys have the upper hand but anywhere else it's much worse. Go to any forum where people discuss video games and you'll learn that TW3 an absolutely flawless majestic magnificent marvellous masterpiece 11/10 game of the century. True story. When you prove that the graphics they praise is dowgraded and looks like crap, potatoboys say: "who cares about graphics, gameplay is king!" And when you tell them that the gameplay is unfortunately same as TW2 except even worse because CDPR cannot into controls, they go full berserk.

Well critic wise, Jimquisition gave it 8.5/10 because of a million little flaws as he put it. The controls seemed to frustrate him too, as well as the clunky interface. It seems like a poor attempt to give Geralt interia and weight. In practice he moves like a sack full of crap.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Y'all serious? I think the controls in this game blow TW2 out of the water.

upwardlymobile

forum posting consultant
Patron
All of these talks make me want to finally try the first Witcher, because apparently the series evolved in reverse temporal order.
remember where you're posting, delusional nostalgia here runs like smallpox in peru ca. 1540. I played the original like 1/4 of the way through before giving up because the controls were so bizarre and the writing and voice acting so wooden and just weird. I can't even describe it, here watch this

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
delusional nostalgia
Because no-one has played TW1 since 2008.
/sarcasm

I played the original like 1/4 of the way through before giving up because the controls were so bizarre and the writing and voice acting so wooden and just weird.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Yeah you're unable to appreciate timeless classics but your disability, while unfortunate, doesn't justify shitposting. TW1 writing was pure gold and conversations felt very natural (btw pulling that one moment from a 60+ hours long game where Geralt get philosophical is 0/10, try again). And Geralt voice acting was intentionally emotionless.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So is it like with Gothic where retards also never stopped bitching because they couldn't be bothered to learn the basics and never figured out that clunky combat was intentional for unskilled low level fighters?
Or are controls really inferior to Twitcher 2 rolling around nothing can hurt me? I seriously doubt it, in fact all claims that this sign or that tactic is OP and the only way to go got rebutted very fast in the other threads.

What's so bad about Twitcher 3 controls? Everything more informative than lazy "they are teh worst!" claims are highly appreciated.

TA character that can't stab a guy right in front of him before doing a triple flip? YESS, WE JUST LOVE TAKING DAMAGE FOR NO REASON. Because everyone ELSE is capable of doing fast-non-flamboyant-attacks.
I really don't care about the attack animation looking stupid as long as the gameplay mechanics make sense (time and impact).
As far as I know the double or whatever spin attack is used to close gaps while attacking. And of course it was meant to look badass, because you know, it's still mostly kids and retards who play games (if you don't include mobile shit). I can live with that.
Is that animation also used when there is no gap between you and you foe? That would suck indeed.

Last edited:

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Or are controls really inferior to Twitcher 2 rolling around nothing can hurt me?
I'm not sure it was true in vanilla but in TW2EE rolling didn't make you invincible per se. You had to roll away to avoid a melee attack or sideways to dodge a missile.

Also I'd say EE made controls somewhat more responsive and reliable. Or maybe I just adapted but EE on Dark Mode was less frustrating than vanilla on Normal. With TW3 we're back to square one it seems.

abija

Prophet
NotAGolfer: Same controls as witcher 2, less buggy and better in combat.
Controls aren't even the issue it's long animations that can't be canceled out of combat. Also amplified by interaction hitboxes being too small for some objects and the info that you can interact with them having some lag for no good reason (problems that were also in tw2).

(minor note: for movement I only use forward and mouse in combat, since tw2. So there's the chance controls are fucked in combat and I didn't even notice)

abija

Prophet
Sounds more like graphics/immersun trumping gameplay. Just like the small chat exchange done at shops.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom