Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An indie RPG in a non-fantasy world

Mayday

Augur
http://www.educationalsimulations.com/d ... /Lives.exe

Pretty linear at the beginning, and the dialogue choices are rather poor, but the procedural event generation is 100s times better than Daggerfall (and often results in hilarious situations).
Also, you get to learn a lot about your setting, lots of backstory there.

A++. would play again!

I'll also post some interesting diarys when they appear :P

EDIT: oh damn. This game is like... an endless source of RPG setting/quest inspiration.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is a sim not an RPG…

It's always fun to die in this game from SIDS.

Mayday

Augur
What? It has stats so it's clearly an RPG!

razz.gif

psycojester

Arbiter
You can die as an infant through no fault of your own? Its just like traveller!

Mayday

Augur
I'm an Egyptian miner, constantly assaulted by his wife.

My son has found a boyfriend.

*sheds tears of pride*

EDIT: whoops, that bitch of a wife is dead. It's off to UK with me!

spacemoose

Erudite
I remember when I showed this game to my anthro professor, he liked it so much that he turned it into a class assignment.

Now I've started playing that game again. Luckily I've only managed to be raped once all together. Though murder happens quite a bit.

whatusername

Scholar
For some reason the game refuses to run on my computer. Is anyone else having this problem?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I decided to download and play it again.

I'm currently a 31 year old single, bisexual, Cuban musician.

I was born to be extremely talented in music, but a musician job pays shit in Cuba.

Edit:
At the age of 41 I illegally snuck into the US and am now making good money. I also have a gay lover named Walter!

Edit2:
Walter broke up with me. :(

At the age of 48 I got married to a woman, but it was an unhappy marriage (I wonder why!) Despite frequent fighting and unhappiness, I kept the marriage together.

At 49 years old, I was raped (Yeah right. That was probably the excuse I gave the wife).

I died at 61 years old of a stroke.

RIP Marco.

psycojester

Arbiter
i managed to survive to 80 years old (strangely enough my parents were still alive when this happened) as a salesman in Dafur, my wife died of senile dementia at age 61.

How fucking hardcore was that guy? Superman wouldn't live to 80 in Dafur.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I was born as a Chinese boy. I was too dumb for Chinese college, so I did the only logical thing and saved enough money to emigrate to the US!
I moved to Detroit and a US dumbfuck college accepted me! I worked as a "secruity inspector" in China and in the US while in college (it seems you can work full-time while in college :? ). I got a degree in economics but I was to dumb for graduate school. No problem, I got a new job as an administrator anyway. Earning 6000$ per month. I should point out that I have spent only the minimal amount required to maintain my health in all those years. When I died at the age of 61, I had over 1,000,000$! No luck with the chicks though, but I was infertile anyway.

BTW, the game is fucking PC. I could not date any hot 20-somethings despite the fact that I was a rich, old man. The game only offers you women in your age group - how realistic!

Kortalh

Liturgist
I was born into a fairly wealthy family (by Mexican standards) with a father working a Salesperson job. At age 10, he started emotionally abusing me and later physically abusing me, and by the time I hit 16, I ran away from home.

I flunked out of college and applied to a bunch of jobs, only to wind up in a Salesperson job like my father. It also turns out I'm infertile. My wife graduates from graduate school, but gets a shitty job, so emigrate illegally to America.

We wind up in Minneapolis, where once again, the only available job is Salesperson. My wife doesn't even bother to work, which isn't a big deal, since we're making 10x as much money as we were in Mexico.

At age 34, I figure I'd better just adopt if I want any kids, so I get an infant daughter. The two following years, I somehow manage to spit enough baby juice through my narrow urethra to have two sons.

I spend the next 40 years getting robbed literally ever 3rd or 4th year. Apparently the crime rate in Minneapolis is really shitty. Meanwhile, I'm putting all my money in a bank account and, by the time I'm 71, I can afford to retire. I invest every last dollar into my bank account for safe keeping. The account somehow manages to crash, so I'm completely broke.

Meanwhile, all three of my kids are in their mid 30s, with husband/wives and kids of their own, many of whom are college graduates, but not a single one of them have a job.

At age 73, I die due to complications from a stroke. Penniless. Only my elder son has bothered to move out of the house.

Amien was born in an Indonesian village with subsistence farming parents. At age 3 he broke his femur and received a permanent limp. My father changed jobs to laborer but they still remained a poor family by all standards.

At 18, being an idiot he didn't get into college and thus became a laborer and moved out of his parents house. Finally met a girl and married her at age 26. Child born with syphilis. Wife and Amien argue, but they decide to try to work it out. Have a girl 3 years later. Daughter married against Amien's wishes. Retired at 66.

Died at 70 from a random heart attacked caused by heart disease. Could've lived to 191 with the money he had earned.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
More than anything this game teaches you the value of illegal emigration. That is simply the only way to get a good life if are are born in a poor nation. I was born as a poor kid in Mosambique. Thanks to the power of illegal emigration I was a "senior government official" in the UK at the age of 40!

KreideBein

Scholar
I was born as Ivana Vacek in Slovakia to a fairly well-to-do family with two brothers. I was apparently quite intelligent (I think that my initial stat was 72) fairly strong and athletic, and quite beautiful (81 for appearance). I was decidedly upset almost throughout my entire life, though; only in old age did I become a more jolly individual. Both of my parents held down their jobs, and we were financially slightly above the worldwide average. Both of my brothers went to college, joined the army, got married, and then moved out.

I got my first job as a cabinet maker at sixteen years old, got married at eighteen, and subsequently moved out. My husband and I lived quite comfortably for nine years in a decent home before having a baby. By the next year, we had enough cash (100,000 of whatever currency is used in Slovakia) to emigrate to the US. Since the northwest is the only part of the US worth a damn, we moved to Tacoma, Washington. My husband got a decent job as a laborer while I managed to snag a job as a mechanic. Around this point, I started to invest by putting most of my money in a bank account, and splitting the remaining money between mutual funds and medium-risk stocks. It turns out that that was a good idea, as my income from my investments soon became enough that I didn't have to work. However, being the hard-working individual that I am, I got a job as a police detective (at this point I was in my mid-thirties).

However, all was not well. My idiot kid was just that, an idiot, and was incapable of doing anything on his own, and thus the brat stayed at home, leeching off of me and my husband until he was almost thirty years old. Speaking of my husband, the guy was a jackass that beat me up several times during the course of our marriage. Since I was making almost five times as much as him, I left the fucker around the age of fifty. I had something like six million dollars saved up, too, so I could live as lavishly as I wanted. Also around this time, I had a stroke that would slowly degrade my health for the rest of my life. Oh, and both of my parents died within a year of one another, and one of my brothers died of senile dementia. Oh, and the other brother's wife committed suicide because of schizophrenia.

Anyway, things had slowed down considerably now. I was getting fairly steady raises at work, but I eventually had to retire from my job at sixty-two years old. At this point, my investments kept bringing me in millions dollars, and eventually, in the couple of years before my death of some opportunist infection at sixty-eight years of age, due to some sort of investment fuck-up, I had over one hundred million dollars in my back account. Screenshot.

psycojester

Arbiter
So whats the smartest character anybody has rolled?

I had a chinese brain ninja once 92 intelligence (for some reason he didn't get into college or vocational training)

psycojester

Arbiter
I just had a disturbing one.

Indonesia girl straight 50 scores across the board. Did nothing her entire life, just said home being sexually abused by her father and beaten for it (not sure why but she wouldn't move on from student)

Archaeon

Scholar
one time i was born with a mom of 14 years and father of 17.. now i have a 2 year old brother with a drug addiction.. WTF?

I was an Indian political prisoner, and while in jail, my wife got pregnant, so I had it aborted. Upon leaving jail, I became an alcoholic and died at 49 from alcoholism.

Mayday

Augur
I think every scenario from this game has happened actually. Well, maybe except the one where my girlfriend died of diabetes and got cured from malaria.

In that order.

I had a female Brazilian Senior Government Official. She got raped and from that pregnant. Kid would die of epilepsy at 36 or so. Had no option to abort the troll.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
I've had that happen. It doesn't look like it'll let you abort children conceived from rape.

Klaz

Scholar
My new mexican computer programmer lived up to 91 years old. :cool:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom