Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News SHOCKER: Chris Avellone leaves Obsidian Entertainment

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not if he has obligations and wants to keep people employed.

Feargus mentioned a while ago that Obsidian's burn rate was a million a month. Let's say they dropped it down to 600-700k. They got 4 mil or so on KS. Let's forget about KS cut for now. So at 600-700k they had enough money to last 6 months. They had to have another game in the making unless the tank game has insane budget.
You may be surprised. Apparently Russian MMO's are so lucrative that they have ties to the mob. Also, are you forgetting that the mass lay-offs were done precisely to deal with the lack of projects?
My point is that 4 mil PoE got couldn't have kept them working on the game for 2 years. 4 mil is a lot for a very small studio, but nothing to a company like Obsidian.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
fark_9EEtUiy09ED0gcSQKdHd47yYiI0_zpsgxnlgdwd.gif

Fucking Labyrinth, there's a movie I haven't seen since I was like 3.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
They should merge with inXile and form one glorious company, under the leadership of Fargo who is a true bro. ObsidiXile. inObXile? Fuck I'm bad at this.

Kz3r0

Arcane
You people can't be seriously making shit up about "management problems" with Sawyer.

Avellone is one of OE founders and a co-owner. Josh is just an employee. In plain english this means the only problem Chris could have with Josh, is Josh not going balls deeep when blowing Avellone's dick.
Unless Sawyer is the darling of the others and makes Obsidian profitable.

m_s0

Arcane
I'm thinking it would be pretty funny if Feargus left next. Followed by Tim Cain. Followed by Fargo snatching both of them. Followed by Herve relinquishing ownership of the Black Isle brand to its rightful owners.

Followed by Bethesda cancelling Fallout 4, retroactively destroying and deleting every copy of Fallout 3 in existence, publicly apologizing for making that abomination and dissolving in penance.

Hey, a man can dream.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
My point is that 4 mil PoE got couldn't have kept them working on the game for 2 years. 4 mil is a lot for a very small studio, but nothing to a company like Obsidian.

Dafuq?

You think studios can only focus on one project at a time? And you were a manager at a software company?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I like to imagine that Todd Howard drove to MCA's house with a dumptruck filled with cash, and then they went and got drinks and now they are BFF's, making Fallouts until they both retire and hang out together like Patrick Stewark and Ian McKellen. Or maybe MCA and Todd are drift compatible and will pilot a Jager and beat the shit out of monsters??! :kfc:

Kz3r0

Arcane

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I hope this doesn't imply PoE was a financial hole in the ground. staff changes always fill me with anxiety.

imweasel

They should merge with inXile and form one glorious company, under the leadership of Fargo who is a true bro. ObsidiXile. inObXile? Fuck I'm bad at this.
And then buy Interplay, after Herve "mysteriously" falls from a bridge to his and death, and then rename the newly formed company Interplay!

:yeah:

Seerix

Arbiter
Well, the first tweet was obviously a code. "Defence Against the Dark Arts" is a methaphor for fighting the decline = he's working at Inxile now. Then again "Hogwarts" and the second tweet where he retreats to explain an obvious joke, could mean that he's working at Bethesda now on FO4 dlc and probably next TES and the "dark arts" means Beth's dumbfuck writers and he's afraid Beth picks up on that joke. :)

m_s0

Arcane
So Fargo is building a new dream team Avallone, Zeits, Macomb and etc. for Van Buren. Not bad. Not bad.

Yeah and they are working on Torment...
If they would get Avellone on board...
Might be too late for that, though.
Avellone was part of Torme't writing team, but he has completed his part long ago.
And I bet he wasn't the only one. I thought you meant it as in he'd join the Torment team specifically and do some more writing for that.

RAG

Educated
I was just reading this
www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-06-08-inxile-fallout-van-buren-trademark

I spoke to Fargo recently, however, and he had more to say - implying he intends to make something Van Buren with Chris Avellone, if and when inXile has time. (Avellone retains close ties to inXile, having been involved in Wasteland 2 and, now, Torment: Tides of Numenera.)

I asked if Fargo was doing anything with the Van Buren trademark. "Not yet," he replied. "But there were some things, some ideas, that Chris Avellone had for doing something that made the post-apoc - a twist on the whole what-was-being-done that we really loved. So we talked about it and we thought why not grab the rights so we can entertain this one of these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom